Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tucker Carlson, and comments on the history of FOX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    This isn't 'every inch'. This is a public call he made to a shock jock were he apparently fed the guy fodder for his show. And I know of nothing one could find searching public information about my past that wold be all that embarrassing, so why should I care if someone goes looking? If I was in the public eye, trying to find dirt on me would be a very boring, very frustrating job.

Jim
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I suppose you would be fine, then, with someone digging through every inch of your life going back for decades and exposing your darkest secrets for everyone to see regardless of who you are today. And don't pretend there's nothing out there that you wouldn't feel ashamed of being made public.
      you forgot that they will also use that informaiton to make is so you can't make a living at all.

Comment

Actually pix, I don't really support them doing this if that is all they are doing. The idea - held on both sides - is that the 'other guys' are all demons. You and MM and others are just as guilty as anyone you would criticize on that front.

And so if we can find something that proves the other guys are demons, let's leverage it to the max is pretty much a given in today's world. But I still would say that carlson should have known better, and that he would do that does say something very negative about who he was at that time and raises the question 'is he the same person today' - not that the media would care if he had actually changed.

Indeed, one element completely lacking in this messed up polarized world we have going on right now are the concepts of growth, redemption, and repentance. No one, not on the left, not on the right, is willing to entertain the concept of youthful impertinence or foolishness, of growing up, of maturing of recognizing a mistake and acting to correct it. Mostly because it's all about who has the power. And any opportunity to tear down a political opponent is to be exploited.

In public political life, Any sin in the past can never be forgiven - for it is an opportunity to crush the other fellow. In the American media spotlight, it is impossible for people to change. Even worse, even if the culture supported your actions in the past and you were just behaving normally, even morally as that culture defined it, there is no excuse: you had to have been able to predict how the culture would evolve.

It is all VERY hypocritical.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Especially with the complete erosion of all public civility that has jumped an order of magnitude in the last two years.

But you are completely off the rails again pix, not comprehending what I've said or how it applies.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Tucker Carlson reflects the misogynistic view of Donald Trump....
            You are such a pantload.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
              you forgot that they will also use that informaiton to make is so you can't make a living at all.
              Actually you are correct RTT. The only thing you lack in understanding is that it applies on all sides and that its source is the extreme polarization of our society which forums like this and the rhetoric from both the left and the right does nothing but cause to grow, and grow, and grow.

Jim

Comment

I've only watched Tucker a few times - he kinds gets on my nerves in short order. In those few instances, it appears he makes a lot of sarcastic almost "devil's advocate" kind of statements. I'm wondering if, IN CONTEXT, this 'compilation' would be so devastating. I honestly don't know.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Anyone stupid enough to call into a shock jock and give then the sort of trash talk they are looking for is probably also not smart enough to realize that sooner or later what they said is going to come back to haunt them.

Jim
                  I am SO GLAD youtube and snapchat didn't exist when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    So, anyone who did or said anything that can "come back to haunt them" should be cyberstalked and dogpiled until their current livelihood is gone? Pretty pathetic tactics...
                    And it's coming back to bite even those who initially were thrilled with this type of personal destruction.

Comment

Actually pix, I don't really support them doing this if that is all they are doing. The idea - held on both sides - is that the 'other guys' are all demons. You and MM and others are just as guilty as anyone you would criticize on that front.
                      Can you show where I have supported the idea of digging through the life of a Democrat to find something, anything which to blackmail them with?

And so if we can find something that proves the other guys are demons, let's leverage it to the max is pretty much a given in today's world. But I still would say that carlson should have known better, and that he would do that does say something very negative about who he was at that time and raises the question 'is he the same person today' - not that the media would care if he had actually changed.
                      I have no idea because I ignore the TV talking heads because it makes life easier. My issue is with digging up things people say or do in the past and using it to blackmail them or else.

Indeed, one element completely lacking in this messed up polarized world we have going on right now are the concepts of growth, redemption, and repentance. No one, not on the left, not on the right, is willing to entertain the concept of youthful impertinence or foolishness, of growing up, of maturing of recognizing a mistake and acting to correct it. Mostly because it's all about who has the power. And any opportunity to tear down a political opponent is to be exploited.

In public political life, Any sin in the past can never be forgiven - for it is an opportunity to crush the other fellow. In the American media spotlight, it is impossible for people to change. Even worse, even if the culture supported your actions in the past and you were just behaving normally, even morally as that culture defined it, there is no excuse: you had to have been able to predict how the culture would evolve.

Jim
                      Your mind reading powers are lacking.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Especially with the complete erosion of all public civility that has jumped an order of magnitude in the last two years.
                        But you are completely off the rails again pix, not comprehending what I've said or how it applies.
                        Your words:

Anyone stupid enough to call into a shock jock and give then the sort of trash talk they are looking for is probably also not smart enough to realize that sooner or later what they said is going to come back to haunt them.

Jim
                        Is your TDS so bad that it is causing you memory problems?
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Jim
                          You do realize that Media Matters has a paid staff whose sole purpose is to comb through archives looking for dirt on Conservative public figures, right?
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            Can you show where I have supported the idea of digging through the life of a Democrat to find something, anything which to blackmail them with?

I have no idea because I ignore the TV talking heads because it makes life easier. My issue is with digging up things people say or do in the past and using it to blackmail them or else.

Your mind reading powers are lacking.
                            See even when I say things you ought to be able to agree to, you just can't quite do it, can you

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              You do realize that Media Matters has a paid staff whose sole purpose is to comb through archives looking for dirt on Conservative public figures, right?
                              Perhaps. And I'm sure it goes both ways. In fact, I know it does. One word: Breitbart.

But neither you nor pix nor MM can stand the idea it's both sides. The OTHER side MUST be a demon. But if we continue this way, it will be the death of our republic. So I hope both sides wise up to the fact we are all people, sometimes with different opinions, but mostly just trying to do what will be best overall.

Jim

Comment

Perhaps. And I'm sure it goes both ways. In fact, I know it does. One word: Breitbart.

But neither you nor pix nor MM can stand the idea it's both sides. The OTHER side MUST be a demon. But if we continue this way, it will be the death of our republic. So I hope both sides wise up to the fact we are all people, sometimes with different opinions, but mostly just trying to do what will be best overall.

Jim
                                I only deal harshly with the fringe, not the middle. I typically converse much different with, say Carpe, than I do with Star or JimL. I think most of us do.
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment