Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

An Experiment in Media Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And that's been my position all along, and you've APPEARED to be defending their incompetence.
    No - I have been saying the claim that this was some kind of conspiracy is simply not supported. I have never argued with the suggestion that a draft was posted/distributed by mistake, and that this is an error. If you think otherwise, go back and find where I have said anything of the kind.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    EGGzackly --- here campaign, and subsequent "house" --- appears to be rather incompetent.
    It was poorly handled. No question. She's a freshman. I'm not going to write her off quite that quickly. Novices get some slack, IMO - whatever party they subscribe to - unless they truly transit a moral line.

What conspiracy?
    That the original post was actually a complete version of the GND which the AOC office then quickly tried to distance themselves from by claiming it was a draft incorrectly posted. Until I have reason to believe it wasn't a draft, I'll take them at their word. Fox says Hockett said it was "an official version." I'd like to see what he actually said before I accept that reporting.

Possibly not - I would hope not - but seeing the "screw-ups" to which you stipulate, who knows!
    If you can even entertain the possibility, then I have to question your bias.

That wasn't in "the draft" they accidentally put on the website?
    Yes - it was - but the claim from AOC was that it was a draft incorrectly posted. I have no doubt that they discussed the language "unable and unwilling." I have no doubt that language could have (and probably did) make it into a draft of the document. If they tell me that it was removed but the draft was incorrectly posted, I'm going to accept their word until I have cause not to.

That's the point - a WHOLE LOT of her "Green New Deal" makes no sense.
    So what part rises to the level of "nutty?"

Wow
    Yeah - it was a good response, wasn't it!
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Got any links to any of these doctored versions?
      I provided the tweet in which it was depicted, Sparko. Here is an article about it. This one is from a site I trust more (I really don't know the first site, but it links the twitter post again).
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        no -
        yes!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          You had leftist vitriolic voices, with huge platforms, pointed out to you, and you refuse to accept that "there they are!".
          First, the platforms I was referring to (whether or not you believe me) was regular and broadcast with a significant following. If you look at my list, you will see they all meet that criteria. I plead guilty to not being clear with my language, but that doesn't alter what I meant.

And I did not say there are no vitriolic voices on the left - I said I didn't know of any like that list on the right, and I would eschew them if I discovered them.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          So you are totally biased contrary to your own opinion of yourself.
          Not that I can see. I merely noted that your list is not like mine (with the possible exception of Whoopi) and does not represent what I was referring to.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Sheesh. It's like this trying to talk to you.
          Then the wise person would stop talking to me. Why would anyone keep doing something they find unpleasant?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            yes!
            maybe

Comment

• OK - I have to get some work done, and this discussion has pretty much run its course. Last word to the lot of you. I'll read, but I won't be responding further.

Comment

• Well, I have just lost some brain cells.

Comment

I'll read, but I won't be responding further.
                  That's right up there with "I did not have sekshule relations with that woman" and "you can keep your doctor".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• facepalm nicholson.gif

It wasn't a "fake version" it was a painfully obvious parody. You know, satire.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, I have just lost some brain cells.
                      ECREE!!!!1!!eleventy-one!

We've never seen any evidence of your having brain cells to lose. They were all killed off by the rum ages ago.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What you are saying is true for Blogs and Wiki's and etc. Yet even here - as I type, it is not reflecting on the actual website until I save/post the contents of my reply.

And I have no idea why any of this makes one whit of difference as to whether what was posted was a draft mistakenly uploaded, or a copy of the final policy that had "unwilling to work" in it.
                        I find all your dodging and rationalizing fascinating. She published the "wrong" document to several different outlets using different paths. She emailed it and tweeted a link to her website where it was published at her say so. She must be the most clueless person on the hill to not even check what she emailed or had posted on her site.

Come on Carp. It is obvious to everyone (Look! broad brush!!!) but you that she only walked it back after everyone made fun of her document. Saving face. That is what she was trying to do.

But hey, you can believe whatever lets you sleep better at night. You are entitled to your opinions, no matter how wrong they are.

Comment

For content as well, CP - even when it is database driven. There is pretty much always a "create" and a "publish" phase.

A test server is just for trying out new web designs and software upgrades. To get the bugs out. Not for content.

Besides this was a word document. She did it in MS Word, then they published a PDF version of it on her website. They didn't write it on the website. She sent the pdf to whomever handles her web page to release. She should have checked what she was sending them beforehand.

Comment

But hey, you can believe whatever lets you sleep better at night. You are entitled to your opinions, no matter how wrong they are.
                            As the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan once famously said:

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]35357[/ATTACH]

It wasn't a "fake version" it was a painfully obvious parody. You know, satire.
                              Based on how negatively Carpe seems to react when someone edits his posts for humorous effect I'm fairly certain he's unable to spot parody or satire unless you hit him in the face with it. And even then I'm not certain.

Comment