Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Va. Gov. Northam�s medical school yearbook page shows men in blackface, KKK robe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Perhaps because these particular claims were persistent and current, not wholly unsubstantiated claims decades later with multiple holes in them, brought forward at an amazingly convenient time?
    Like I said - I had no idea of the apparent body of evidence related to this. So my initial comment was uninformed and should not have been made.

My apologies to all...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Like I said - I had no idea of the apparent body of evidence related to this. So my initial comment was uninformed and should not have been made.
      http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/ed...38&do=editpost
      My apologies to all...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• He continues to resist, twisting in the wind, while the Democrats pretty much in unison are wanting him gone, recognizing the liability he will be to them in future elections.

He's toast - it's just a matter of when the toaster ejects his burnt little self.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          He continues to resist, twisting in the wind, while the Democrats pretty much in unison are wanting him gone, recognizing the liability he will be to them in future elections.

He's toast - it's just a matter of when the toaster ejects his burnt little self.
          And now, there has been a leak that the Lt Governor had a sexual assault claim against him, but he's fighting back:

https://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...3050594d8.html
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I have no reason to pursue this, except to note that your apparent defense of the little pervert is interesting.
            If you think I am defending him - then you have misread both my original post and the subsequent posts.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            This reminds me, however, of a case where a man I know was accused of sexual misconduct with a child. I had a hard time believing he, a member of my church, was a pervert.

Upon his arrest, I went to the Sheriff's Office to inquire, asking a personal friend - the Sheriff's Captain - if there was any real substantiation, of was this just an "arrest pending investigation". If, as he claimed, this was a "set up" by his estranged daughter, I wanted to know, because I would be expected to defend him as a fellow Christian. I knew already that I was going to be subpoenaed for his trial.

The Captain - remember, he's a personal friend - tried several times to point me to the county courthouse to look at the docket, but I kept asking questions. Finally, the Captain grabbed my lapels, pulled me toward him, nose touching nose, and said slowly and deliberately "go to the county courthouse and ask to see the docket".

I told him "I think I'll go to the county courthouse and look at the docket", and he patted me on the back, and said, "GOOD idea!"

What I read made me physically ill -- the things the guy admitted in open court with his attorney present made me want to throw up --- and that was the PLEA DEAL, which indicated what he actually did was probably more heinous.
            I would be careful about this assumption. The plea system in the U.S. is not necessarily what you think it is. Sometimes, people plead guilty because they are afraid of going to trial and losing, and facing worse consequences. DAs regularly threaten horrendous outcomes if someone "goes to trial and loses," causing a lot of innocent people to plead guilty if they don't think they can prove their innocence. This is especially true for the poor, that have only a public defender to help them - who is often overworked and looking to clear cases as soon as possible.

That being said, MJ was certainly not poor - and could have afforded a lawyer. So the next question is how long did he want this to be center-stage in the court system, ripping at his public persona. I don't know the answers to any of this - so I have no position. I have looked at zero evidence, and only know the skuttlebutt. Ergo - I draw no conclusions. Perhaps you know more so feel justified in coming to a conclusion. That is in your hands. I don't care enough about this issue, given that the man is dead and gone, to do the research. So I'm at "I have no idea."

Just look at the things Jackson has admitted - and note, as OBP suggested, the multiple claims that were persistent and current at the time.... I'm completely comfortable calling Jackson a little pervert.
            So be it...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              If you think I am defending him - then you have misread both my original post and the subsequent posts.
              I believe the posts you reference were posted prior to your apology. Eh?

I would be careful about this assumption.
              I was. VERY.

The plea system in the U.S. is not necessarily what you think it is. Sometimes, people plead guilty because they are afraid of going to trial and losing, and facing worse consequences. DAs regularly threaten horrendous outcomes if someone "goes to trial and loses," causing a lot of innocent people to plead guilty if they don't think they can prove their innocence. This is especially true for the poor, that have only a public defender to help them - who is often overworked and looking to clear cases as soon as possible.
              I didn't include ALL the facts, including the man's own testimony to me (which was, of course, privileged) but was contrasted with what he stipulated in open court with his attorney present.

That being said, MJ was certainly not poor - and could have afforded a lawyer. So the next question is how long did he want this to be center-stage in the court system, ripping at his public persona. I don't know the answers to any of this - so I have no position. I have looked at zero evidence, and only know the skuttlebutt. Ergo - I draw no conclusions. Perhaps you know more so feel justified in coming to a conclusion. That is in your hands. I don't care enough about this issue, given that the man is dead and gone, to do the research. So I'm at "I have no idea."
              In post #122, I acknowledged your apology, and returned to the subject at hand -- Northam's twisting in the wind.

You, my friend, keep returning to this subject of which you claim not to care enough....

So be it...
              Are we done yet?

Comment

I believe the posts you reference were posted prior to your apology. Eh?
                No - I mean all of them. My apology was for the question about why we tend to jump on some and not on others. While I still think it's a valid question, it was not justified in this particular instance.

I was. VERY.

I didn't include ALL the facts, including the man's own testimony to me (which was, of course, privileged) but was contrasted with what he stipulated in open court with his attorney present.
                In post #122, I acknowledged your apology, and returned to the subject at hand -- Northam's twisting in the wind.

You, my friend, keep returning to this subject of which you claim not to care enough....
                My comment was about the plea system in general - and the "evidence" it gives us. When someone accepts a plea deal, it is not necessarily evidence of the guilt of the individual. I have no opinion about your particular situation because I know absolutely nothing about it other than what you have shared here.

Are we done yet?
                I stopped 12 posts ago... this has all been posted by a bot I developed...

Comment

• Back to Norham twisting in the wind.

Va. Gov. Northam meets with Cabinet and senior staff, weighs resignation

#MeToo

Comment

• Outrage over blackface, silence over killing babies

This kind of thing is exactly why I am glad that Hillary, with her culture of death, is not POTUS. Who knew that the Democrats would act so quickly to provide support for the decision to block her?

Comment

*cough* Blaisey-Ford... *cough*
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        *cough* Blaisey-Ford... *cough*
                        https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ustin-fairfax/
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Other than that, it's EXACTLY the same as the Kavanaugh accusations, yes?

Comment

Yeah, I was trying to think of the timeline --- would Michael Jackson have already begun his "fade to white" by that point?
                            I think he was about halfway there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I think he was about halfway there.

So, black is NOT beautiful?

Comment

Outrage over blackface, silence over killing babies

This kind of thing is exactly why I am glad that Hillary, with her culture of death, is not POTUS. Who knew that the Democrats would act so quickly to provide support for the decision to block her?
                                From the article:
                                I can see the Nazi's saying, "The unwanted Jews are kept comfortable as we gas them."

Comment