Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Corrosion of Conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    It might help if we actually had a president who unified.
    It might help if we had regular people in this country who are willing to unify. Don't be driven by the press. I am making a plea here that is trying to go beyond the pressures to divide.

There is a lot of stupidity going on in this world right now. If I were wishing to follow that path, I would be pointing out the details of that instead of pushing for unity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Are people under the impression that Donald Trump defines conservativism or that he is a quintessential conservative politician? Because that has never been my impression.

Comment

Comment

Are people under the impression that Donald Trump defines conservativism or that he is a quintessential conservative politician? Because that has never been my impression.
          No, that is not case, but the conservatives sold out their moral and ethical base to support Donald tRump foe a religious agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            It might help if we had regular people in this country who are willing to unify. Don't be driven by the press. I am making a plea here that is trying to go beyond the pressures to divide.

There is a lot of stupidity going on in this world right now. If I were wishing to follow that path, I would be pointing out the details of that instead of pushing for unity.
            Mike - the press does not dictate my political opinions. I approach the press with a dubious eye - and double check most of what I read/see. You are making an assumption that is simply inaccurate. And there is nothing wrong with people having different views. That will always be the case. What is broken today is this view by the extremists on both sides that "compromise" is a dirty word. As the number of extremists on both sides climb - that view dominates the political discussion.

And the entire situation is made worse by having a leader in the white house who thrives on dissension, strives to divide instead of unifying, and functions in such a generally immoral/amoral fashion. We are stuck with that reality until we can get that man out of that office and (hopefully) elect someone who is actually capable of reaching across the aisle.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

While I don't care for Trump as a person, I don't think he is representative of traditional GOP. He is his own thang.

And I know several traditional democrats who have said they are moving away from the Democratic party because of the way they have been acting since Trump was elected (Antifa, BLM, College riots, Hillary getting away with her crimes while Mueller witch hunts Trump and associates. My cousin, who has been a lifelong democrat said she will not be voting democrat the next election unless things change drastically. The whole abortion thing in NY and Virginia has her really upset too.

The democrats have gone too far left for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                While I don't care for Trump as a person, I don't think he is representative of traditional GOP. He is his own thang.
                In a way - I agree with you. The problem, Sparko, is that the "traditional GOP" doesn't exist anymore. Or perhaps it's just that it is now a minority within the larger GOP. The majority of the GOP is now made up by the somewhat rabid "fans" attending Trump rallies and rallying to Trump's defense at every turn. The GOP is now predominantly "Trump's base." All of the numbers suggest this is the case. And I think that "Traditional Republicans" are going to soon find themselves outside of their own party if they don't wake up to that reality and begin to assert themselves.

And I know several traditional democrats who have said they are moving away from the Democratic party because of the way they have been acting since Trump was elected (Antifa, BLM, College riots, Hillary getting away with her crimes while Mueller witch hunts Trump and associates. My cousin, who has been a lifelong democrat said she will not be voting democrat the next election unless things change drastically. The whole abortion thing in NY and Virginia has her really upset too.

The democrats have gone too far left for her.
                Yes - such people exist. They exist on both sides. And both parties have, IMO, drifted far from their "traditional" roots.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

In a way - I agree with you. The problem, Sparko, is that the "traditional GOP" doesn't exist anymore. Or perhaps it's just that it is now a minority within the larger GOP. The majority of the GOP is now made up by the somewhat rabid "fans" attending Trump rallies and rallying to Trump's defense at every turn. The GOP is now predominantly "Trump's base." All of the numbers suggest this is the case. And I think that "Traditional Republicans" are going to soon find themselves outside of their own party if they don't wake up to that reality and begin to assert themselves.

Yes - such people exist. They exist on both sides. And both parties have, IMO, drifted far from their "traditional" roots.
                  The only solution is: We republicans need to register as democrats and take over the DNC!

Comment

The only solution is: We republicans need to register as democrats and take over the DNC!
                    There's a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      No, that is not case, but the conservatives sold out their moral and ethical base to support Donald tRump foe a religious agenda.
                      Still doing the childish "inventive spelling", eh?

Perhaps we should have REALLY sold out our morals and ethics by voting for lying scheming death merchant Hillary.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Perhaps we should have REALLY sold out our morals and ethics by voting for lying scheming death merchant Hillary.
                        Yes, I'm still trying to figure out who the "morally acceptable" choice was supposed to be in our last election. Who could we conservative Christians have supported without being accused of "selling out"?
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-01-2019, 10:56 AM.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Out of curiosity...you call this inventive spelling out as childish (and I agree), but I have never seen you call out MM for doing the same thing with altering people's names in his "quotes" (e.g., "Tassmoron" and "JimLamebrain")

And the reason for this is...?

Comment

Out of curiosity...you call this inventive spelling out as childish (and I agree), but I have never seen you call out MM for doing the same thing with altering people's names in his "quotes" (e.g., "Tassmoron" and "JimLamebrain")

And the reason for this is...?
                            It's MM's style. Perhaps I should just accept that that's Shuny's style, as well?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's MM's style.
                              I reserve it for the "special" cases.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I reserve it for the "special" cases.
                                And thinking about this more - you do it to people who are here, and can respond or defend themselves. I hardly think Trump is interested in anything Shuny writes behind his back.

Comment