Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is interesting...

Former Starbucks CEO has spent months researching a presidential bid

Especially this...

Without a formal campaign, Schultz has built out an extensive operation to support his bid. He has been working on ballot access plans with Kellen Arno and Kahlil Byrd, two former strategists for Americans Elect, which mounted a similar effort in the 2012 presidential election cycle. Schultz has also been having policy conversations to develop his platform, including a meeting with venture capitalist Bob Kocher, a veteran of the Obama White House and an expert on reducing government health-care costs.

Advisers say Schultz will be able to win by turning the 2020 campaign into a referendum on the two-party system. They said they were encouraged by the results of an internal 1,000-voter test conducted during Schultz's "60 Minutes" interview on Sunday, during which he confirmed he was considering the race.

In national polls, Schultz's team, led by Republican pollster Greg Strimple, tested a three-way race between Trump, a generic "centrist independent" and named Democratic candidates. They found the independent candidate - a stand-in for Schultz - would fare better in a general election if a more liberal candidate, like Warren or Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., were to win the Democratic nomination, the person said.

Tests of a three-way matchup in which former vice president Joe Biden was the Democratic candidate were more challenging for Schultz. Biden said Monday that he would "soon" make a decision on running.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I done with idiot billionaires trying to run the country. Can we let someone else have a chance now?
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        I done with idiot billionaires trying to run the country. Can we let someone else have a chance now?
        This is about me, isn't it?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          This is about me, isn't it?
          Uh... I didn't think you were a billionaire.
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

Uh... I didn't think you were a billionaire.
            But you said you were done with billionaires - I would be the "someone else".

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I believe it was me you called the moron and idiot.... something I would not have expected from you in a million years.
              I believe him when he says he's doing this in some attempt to open our eyes to the insults we sometimes use. From my perspective, all it really does is undercut his aspiration - which it makes look like a pretense - to be above it all. When we're being insulting, we know we're doing it; what good does pointing that out do? I also think that carpe often comes across as condescending, though he's generally polite about it and I don't know that he's aware of the impression he makes.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I believe him when he says he's doing this in some attempt to open our eyes to the insults we sometimes use. From my perspective, all it really does is undercut his aspiration - which it makes look like a pretense - to be above it all. When we're being insulting, we know we're doing it; what good does pointing that out do? I also think that carpe often comes across as condescending, though he's generally polite about it and I don't know that he's aware of the impression he makes.
                Points taken, sir.

Comment

I done with idiot billionaires trying to run the country. Can we let someone else have a chance now?
                  If you've noticed presidents are very rarely anything like the previous one. When we change we tend to want something different rather than more of the same. This means that the odds of us electing another billionaire businessman to succeed Trump are essentially infinitesimal.

I've also noticed that the left has dismissed every Republican president with the exception of Nixon as being an idiot. This goes back at least as far as Eisenhower who they merely regarded more as an amiable dunce than idiot.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Last night, in a moment of pique, I was rude to Rogue, Sparko, Pix, and (most notably) to CP. I resorted to name calling and denigration. I have no excuse, and I'd like to apologize to all of them - especially to CP. Of everyone, he least deserved my tantrum.

I knew, as I typed, that I was letting my emotions govern my words. I should have closed the laptop and gone to bed. I am sorry that I didn't - and I am sorry if I hurt anyone.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      If you've noticed presidents are very rarely anything like the previous one. When we change we tend to want something different rather than more of the same. This means that the odds of us electing another billionaire businessman to succeed Trump are essentially infinitesimal.

I've also noticed that the left has dismissed every Republican president with the exception of Nixon as being an idiot. This goes back at least as far as Eisenhower who they merely regarded more as an amiable dunce than idiot.
                      Ike was more than happy to cultivate that impression. Made his job easier.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                        Last night, in a moment of pique, I was rude to Rogue, Sparko, Pix, and (most notably) to CP. I resorted to name calling and denigration. I have no excuse, and I'd like to apologize to all of them - especially to CP. Of everyone, he least deserved my tantrum.

I knew, as I typed, that I was letting my emotions govern my words. I should have closed the laptop and gone to bed. I am sorry that I didn't - and I am sorry if I hurt anyone.
                        Much appreciated, carpe, even though it wasn't directed at me.
                        sigpic

Comment

Last night, in a moment of pique, I was rude to Rogue, Sparko, Pix, and (most notably) to CP. I resorted to name calling and denigration. I have no excuse, and I'd like to apologize to all of them - especially to CP. Of everyone, he least deserved my tantrum.

I don't take any of this stuff personally Michel. This is just a place to debate things and things can get heated when debating religion and politics. Don't take anything I say personally either. I think you are a fine fellow. Just frustrating at times. I am betting you feel the same about me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I don't take any of this stuff personally Michel. This is just a place to debate things and things can get heated when debating religion and politics. Don't take anything I say personally either. I think you are a fine fellow. Just frustrating at times. I am betting you feel the same about me.
                            I will admit that what I mostly feel is a desire for discussions to simply focus on the issues and their consequences, without the sidetracks into assumed motivations and ridicule. But I think this is the wrong place for that type of discussion. Since it's what I'm actually looking for - I think I need to spend some time and find a place where I can talk to "the other side" without all of that baggage, if that's even possible. Life's too short, and I clearly am not capable of keeping out of that fray.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I will admit that what I mostly feel is a desire for discussions to simply focus on the issues and their consequences, without the sidetracks into assumed motivations and ridicule. But I think this is the wrong place for that type of discussion. Since it's what I'm actually looking for - I think I need to spend some time and find a place where I can talk to "the other side" without all of that baggage, if that's even possible. Life's too short, and I clearly am not capable of keeping out of that fray.
                              For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

You should try facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

You should try facebook

Tried that. Ended up in a "bubble" because the only people not getting hateful were those who agreed with me. Since I didn't permit people to get rude on my page, the people who disagreed largely stopped posting.

The issue may well be the Internet. It gives everyone license to act as they probably would not in person. I don't think I would ever have "gone off" last night if I was face to face with someone. So the search may be a a pointless one - an online civil discussion may simply be impossible unless the two people in question already agree.

Comment