Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Question of Respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    Outside of going to a trump rally MAGA stuff actually DOES incite trouble. Its a culture thing. I mean just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. I mean no it's not akin to wearing a yankees jersey outside of New York City. People genuinely associate MAGA stuff with racism, bigotry and narcissism among other things. I doubt you'd get the same response from seeing someone in a baseball jersey.
    Exactly.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I like how carpe retreated from his own thread when it became undeniable that his original narrative was flat out wrong.
      Carpe was in the hospital - and then at a funeral.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        What makes him especially insufferable is that despite his extreme bias (which is apparently obvious to everybody but himself) he sees himself as a neutral observer and "the voice of reason" in these discussions.
        I do not see myself as a "neutral observer," nor have I ever made a claim to being "the voice of reason."

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          So - I have to reverse myself on my reversal. I did some digging - and one of these CNN quotes has been shown to be a transcription error, and the other is not verified to be what he actually said. Given that both quotes happened in the same CNN interview, and the first was demonstrably a transcription error - it would seem to me fairly probably that the latter is as well. But the fact is - we don't know.
          He has said that he was a recon ranger. He was not. And the fact that he kept saying "Vietnam" whenever he mentioned he was a vet means that he was intentionally trying to give the impression he was in Vietnam.

Comment

I have no problem with a change of title to "A Question of Perspective?" if the posters here are in favor. It certainly appears to correlate with what is happening.
            You seem surprised!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              He has said that he was a recon ranger. He was not. And the fact that he kept saying "Vietnam" whenever he mentioned he was a vet means that he was intentionally trying to give the impression he was in Vietnam.
              Read the statement in its context, Sparko. The article was about the activities at the Standing Rock reservation and Phillips was talking about his role in that event. Granted, tossing in the reference to his Vietnam-era service muddied the waters, and made the rest of the sentence ambiguous. Of course, when you lift the sentence out of its context, it makes it look like his claim was about his military service.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                You seem surprised!
                No - I cannot say that I am all that surprised. The tendency, in today's political climate, for people to anchor themselves to an interpretation that aligns with their politics is all too familiar. Unfortunate - but familiar. I struggle with it all the time - and not always successfully.

Comment

No - I cannot say that I am all that surprised. The tendency, in today's political climate, for people to anchor themselves to an interpretation that aligns with their politics is all too familiar. Unfortunate - but familiar. I struggle with it all the time - and not always successfully.
                  Um..... I meant surprised by the fact that I would come up with a title that "certainly appears to correlate with what is happening".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is not intrinsically bad or wrong. However, the hat is closely associated with a man who advocates for some very ugly things. So if you were the hat, it seems to me reasonable that people are likely to associated you with those same ugly things. If I wear a KKK hat, I'm going to be associated with the KKK. If I wear a "Planned Parenthood" hat - I'm going to be associated with planned parenthood. If I wear a MAGA hat, and especially if I begin to exhibit behavior that align with it's prime representative - it is naive to think I am not going to be associated with that man and his rhetoric and behavior.
                    Or you wear the hat because you want to make American great again.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So - I have to reverse myself on my reversal. I did some digging - and one of these CNN quotes has been shown to be a transcription error, and the other is not verified to be what he actually said. Given that both quotes happened in the same CNN interview, and the first was demonstrably a transcription error - it would seem to me fairly probable that the latter is as well. But the fact is - we don't know. So the claim that Phillips "misled" or "lied" about his service is, as best I can tell, "unproven."
                      https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1088285433673515009

Nathan Phillips, January 3, 2018

"I'm a Vietnam Vet. I served in Marine Corps 72 to 76. I got discharged May 5, 1976. I got honorable discharge and one of the boxes shows peacetime or, what my box says is that I was **in theater**. I don't talk much about my Vietnam times."
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1088285433673515009

Nathan Phillips, January 3, 2018

"I'm a Vietnam Vet. I served in Marine Corps 72 to 76. I got discharged May 5, 1976. I got honorable discharge and one of the boxes shows peacetime or, what my box says is that I was **in theater**. I don't talk much about my Vietnam times."
                        Well, there's the smoking peace pipe! You can watch the video in that link to see him saying it in his own words.

Comment

• It's become very clear, Even via Snopes accounts that Nathan Phillips has a history of being whackadoodle. I do believe it appears that he likely provoked people who were already...provoked. He kind of reminds me of someone who sticks his fingers in boiling water, then complains when the water burns him. I do believe he would be classified as a jackass. UGH.
                          To those who are wondering I won't reverse my stance on Maga, and I will continue to wonder why Chaperones Absolutely did not break this up. They should have and needed to. But crazies like Phillips need to NOT be given their 15 minutes because it strongly distracts from issues such as the flaming of the Cult group that was already there.
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Carpe was in the hospital - and then at a funeral.
                            I'm sorry to hear that.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Um..... I meant surprised by the fact that I would come up with a title that "certainly appears to correlate with what is happening".
                              No - I'm not surprised by that. You appear to have a modicum of intelligence.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Or you wear the hat because you want to make American great again.
                                I may wear a KKK hat because I think that the white race is being unfairly treated (which it sometimes is) and I want all races to be on an equal footing. That doesn't make me less naive about what the hat symbolizes for so many and the effect it will have if I wear it.

With respect to greatness, I could get myself an orange hat that says, "Working together to Make America Great" and convey the same message. But if I wear a red hat with the classic Trump slogan, it is naive to think I will not be associated with Trump and EVERYTHING he represents - including the lying, bullying, ridicule, etc. If I knowingly wear something divisive, I shouldn't be surprised if I get a reaction.

Comment