Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fake News; Buzz Feed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
    The response of the teen was up less than 12 hours after i saw the first clip. The aliternate video and comments about premature judgement were up within 24 to 36 hours of the first clip. Seems reasonable to me.
    Reasonable, unless you're the innocent high school kid being bullied and threatened because of a false story that was uncritically pushed by the mainstream media who were all too eager to use it to vilify the President and didn't bother do even minimal fact-checking before running with it.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Reasonable, unless you're the innocent high school kid being bullied and threatened because of a false story that was uncritically pushed by the mainstream media who were all too eager to use it to vilify the President and didn't bother do even minimal fact-checking before running with it.
      Well, bad things happen MM, somebody posted the video. It went viral, which means it became news. It looked pretty bad, and people did their thing they do in this trumpian heartless judgmental polarized world you love and support every day. But as far as what CNN did with it, they did the right thing. I think that once it became clear something was amiss, they made sure the truth of what happened got sufficient airplay as to help push back against what you are talking about. That is what they should have done.

As for changing the world we live in, you could do your part to promote compassion, love, morality as Christ defines it rather than mocking everone else that tries to do that. What happened to this boy is just the fruit of a nation led by the false savior whose hat he wore and whose wagon youve hitched yourself to.

There is only one savior of this world. And everytime we eschew His teachings of love and grace for some worldly leaders narcissistic promises he will save us with an iron fist and hate we build this worlds ways and fight against the kingdom of God.

We agree on a lot of what is wrong with the liberal agenda, but if you think hatred, an iron fist, and gross indifference to the poor and the downcast is going to help pull this world in a different direction you know nothing of Christ.

Jim
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-26-2019, 08:58 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Spin away, little man. Spin away.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Your conspiratorial leanings aside, it is amusing to watch you continually try to paint my motives in dark terms, as if I want to support some liberal agenda as opposed to simply get at or stand by what is true. Ever since I began to ask honest questions about the 'science' used by YECs, i have been amazed at how often the extreems in a debate will percieve anyone seeking truth in a matter as their opposition and a member of 'the other side'.
          I referenced CNN because they and fox are tge outlets I happened to follow the story on. And I was actually surprised at how quickly and how prominantly CNN made sure the other elenents of the story were published.
          CNN is a common punching bag for Trumpians, so it seemed appropriate to point out their fairness in reporting the story.
          Overall I stand by my comments on the whole "fake news" deal. And you Trumpians would do well to heed its warning. I don't limit myself to any single news outlet, and unlike Trumpians or the liberal left, my concern is the truth, not the justification of some half-baked conspiracy laden fantasy view of what is going on in the world.
          Sure you will stand by them and if ignoring what your opponents say and attacking strawman is what you need to do, so be it. My concern is the truth too, but you attack Trump for lying but ignore how often the media lie itself.
          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-26-2019, 09:58 AM.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Well, bad things happen MM, somebody posted the video. It went viral, which means it became news. It looked pretty bad, and people did their thing they do in this trumpian heartless judgmental polarized world you love and support every day. But as far as what CNN did with it, they did the right thing. I think that once it became clear something was amiss, they made sure the truth of what happened got sufficient airplay as to help push back against what you are talking about. That is what they should have done.

As for changing the world we live in, you could do your part to promote compassion, love, morality as Christ defines it rather than mocking everone else that tries to do that. What happened to this boy is just the fruit of a nation led by the false savior whose hat he wore and whose wagon youve hitched yourself to.

There is only one savior of this world. And everytime we eschew His teachings of love and grace for some worldly leaders narcissistic promises he will save us with an iron fist and hate we build this worlds ways and fight against the kingdom of God.

We agree on a lot of what is wrong with the liberal agenda, but if you think hatred, an iron fist, and gross indifference to the poor and the downcast is going to help pull this world in a different direction you know nothing of Christ.

Jim
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• It's hilarious how oxmix is praising the liberal media for its fairness and integrity despite its rush to judgment and initial disinterest in seeking out the truth (can't let the facts get in the way of a good anti-Trump narrative), allowing the false story to percolate through the public consciousness for 24-hours and longer, while it was news sources derided by the left like Breitbart who waited for more information before publishing and who got the story right from the start.

Comment

It's hilarious how oxmix is praising the liberal media for its fairness and integrity despite its rush to judgment and initial disinterest in seeking out the truth (can't let the facts get in the way of a good anti-Trump narrative), allowing the false story to percolate through the public consciousness for 24-hours and longer, while it was news sources derided by the left like Breitbart who waited for more information before publishing and who got the story right from the start.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Pretty much, and being that he is an immoral, sociopathic, theiving, traitor in the White House you should be doing the same. But you haven't awoken yet!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Pretty much, and being that he is an immoral, sociopathic, theiving, traitor in the White House you should be doing the same. But you haven't awoken yet!
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It's hilarious how oxmix is praising the liberal media for its fairness and integrity despite its rush to judgment and initial disinterest in seeking out the truth (can't let the facts get in the way of a good anti-Trump narrative), allowing the false story to percolate through the public consciousness for 24-hours and longer, while it was news sources derided by the left like Breitbart who waited for more information before publishing and who got the story right from the start.
                      It's hilarious to watch you distort my words to make them fit you narrative that anyone that does not support trump is evil and propagates or supports falsehoods.

I mentioned only CNN and what CNN did. Which was the right thing.

To 'allow the false story to circulate' implies they had the other information and sat on it - which clearly in terms of the high schooler's statement they did not. He issued the statement, they put it up on their website. I have no way of knowing when they had access to the alternate videos, but it does not appear there was any significant delay in posting those either.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• I'm not indifferent to them or whatever harassment they received Pix. You asked me why the story wasn't fake news. Not if it was bad for those that jumped to judgement to harass the kid. Of course it was wrong. Of course it was bad. Just like it was wrong of Trump to launch his base against a college Freshman for daring to challenge Him.

That was the very first concern I had when I saw the first video clip - what would people with your or MM's mindset on the liberal side but without your moral restraint do to him. And don't kid yourself. You and MM are just clones of that same mindset in a different direction.

But I wasn't answering those questions pix. I was answering whether or not the reporting on the event was "fake news".

Jim

Comment

• Not exactly. But pretty much every day I do ask myself what stupid or callously indifferent thing will Trump do today, and I wonder how or what extent people like you or MM will ditch your religious moorings and stated morals as you justify whatever stupid or immoral thing he happens to have done that day.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
                            ITo 'allow the false story to circulate' implies they had the other information and sat on it...
                            No, it implies that they rushed the story out the door without doing even the bare minimum of fact checking because they salivate over any story that they think makes Trump look bad. Even if they had done nothing more than type Nathan Philips' name into an internet search engine, they would have immediately learned of his activism, his sketchy claims about his military service record, and the fact that he and his group had attempted to disrupt a Catholic service the night before. Instead, CNN gave him airtime to spread his lies without challenging a single one of them. That's anything but responsible journalism.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddlr View Post
                              Not exactly. But pretty much every day I do ask myself what stupid or callously indifferent thing will Trump do today, and I wonder how or what extent people like you or MM will ditch your religious moorings and stated morals as you justify whatever stupid or immoral thing he happens to have done that day.
                              Spoken like a white washed tomb.

Comment

Spoken like a white washed tomb.
                                You are nothing if not predictable.

Jim

Comment