Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's National Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My suggestion in regards to Chuck is to just ignore him altogether when he does his nannying or demanding something from someone. Not worth the effort to even respond to most of the time

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      It actually does, OBP.
      You have no idea how nonsensical that sounds. Unpossible that the other side could've won fair and square, or have any positive attributes whatsoever. They must've cheated, and gotten incredibly lucky, and their supporters are gullible morons, and whatever other excuse you can think up in order to shift the blame somewhere else. It's never your side's fault. It's enough to make one weep for humanity.

Carry on.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        It really must suck to have lost to a stupid, incompetent, inarticulate blowhard.
        This was a point I kept making to my liberal friends back when GWB won in 2000 and kept running circles around his opponents during his first term. I'd ask him if he's such an incompetent moron then what does it say about the folks he keeps getting the best of time and time again? I never got an answer.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have to admit that I came close to selling my house and moving out of the U.S.

I hope that was just you being a bit melodramatic. If not, you have some serious issues my friend. I couldn't stand Bill Clinton when he was elected, but never in my wildest frustrations would I consider leaving the country over it. And I wouldn't have left if Hillary was elected either. Tough it out. You can do it!

Comment

You have no idea how nonsensical that sounds. Unpossible that the other side could've won fair and square, or have any positive attributes whatsoever.
            Please point out where I have ever said that the Trump administration "did not win fare (fair, actually) and square?"

And I have often said that a person who cannot make a positive statement about the opposition, or a negative statement about their own "team" has lost perspective. I have several times pointed out the things that have been done by this administration that I agree with. I acknowledge there are not many. And I have noted that Trump is a "media savant." So your observation appears to be off the mark.

They must've cheated, and gotten incredibly lucky, and their supporters are gullible morons, and whatever other excuse you can think up in order to shift the blame somewhere else.
            Feel free to point to any oost where I have said any of these things. I am not going to waste my time defending positions I do not hold and things I have not said.

It's never your side's fault.
            I'm not sure what you think is "my side," but I have certainly been clear that Clinton was an entitled idiot in many of her choices. You seem to be raving away at a lot of things I've never said - and ignored a lot of things I have, OBP. You might want to check your facts before going of on these rants.

It's enough to make one weep for humanity.

Carry on.
            I have some kleenex, if you need them...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              This was a point I kept making to my liberal friends back when GWB won in 2000 and kept running circles around his opponents during his first term. I'd ask him if he's such an incompetent moron then what does it say about the folks he keeps getting the best of time and time again? I never got an answer.
              Sort of like during the Republican primary when candidates like Jeb and Carly Fiorina lamented about what a terrible candidate Trump was and that it would be so easy for Hillary to beat him. Rush Limbaugh's observation: "If it's so easy then why can't you!"
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I hope that was just you being a bit melodramatic.
                No.

If not, you have some serious issues my friend. I couldn't stand Bill Clinton when he was elected, but never in my wildest frustrations would I consider leaving the country over it. And I wouldn't have left if Hillary was elected either. Tough it out. You can do it!
                My issue was not with Trump - it was with Trump represented. The population of the United States put a demonstrable liar, bully, and in almost every measurable way, immoral man in the highest office in the land. They did so because he was a popular reality TV star, and he was spewing hate that they loved and glommed onto. My issue was not with Trump per se - it was with what it says about the people in this country that they would, in such numbers, support such a human being.

My wife did talk me down a bit - pointing out that Trump actually won with a minority of the vote - so although a lot of those people exist - they are not the majority. And she also pointed out that many people voted as a "not her" choice - and that I ought to wait it out and see if it holds. Since then it has become clear that, while Trump's base is solid, it is not growing. I have taken heart at much of the opposition that has arisen against what he represents. I have high hopes for 2020.

But if Trump is re-elected in 2020, I have no intention of remaining. This will no longer be the country I grew up in if such a man can be put in office twice - and I would prefer to move on. We have friends in Australia. I have been researching retirement in some of the Caribbean islands. I will probably stay around until my mother and my wife's parents pass on, but that is likely to be sooner than later - and then I will move on.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

No.

My issue was not with Trump - it was with Trump represented. The population of the United States put a demonstrable liar, bully, and in almost every measurable way, immoral man in the highest office in the land. They did so because he was a popular reality TV star, and he was spewing hate that they loved and glommed onto. My issue was not with Trump per se - it was with what it says about the people in this country that they would, in such numbers, support such a human being.
                  WOW. Just WOW. Compare that diatribe of unmitigated disgust with Trump and those who voted for him, so bad that you would leave the country, with your previous statement:

And I have often said that a person who cannot make a positive statement about the opposition, or a negative statement about their own "team" has lost perspective. I have several times pointed out the things that have been done by this administration that I agree with. I acknowledge there are not many.

I don't think you are very self-aware carp. You are not the fair-minded, middle-of-the-road reasonable guy you think you are or try to put forth here online. Your actions belie your claims about yourself.

Comment

WOW. Just WOW. Compare that diatribe of unmitigated disgust with Trump and those who voted for him, so bad that you would leave the country, with your previous statement:
                    Umm... exactly where in that statement do you infer "there is nothing good that can be said about Trump or the people who voted for him?" You appear to be adding things to my statement that I did not say - and then objecting to it or claiming amazement.

I don't think you are very self-aware carp. You are not the fair-minded, middle-of-the-road reasonable guy you think you are or try to put forth here online. Your actions belie your claims about yourself.
                    Again - your observations about my person, especially when they are based on things I have never said or inferred, are really not my concern.

Look Sparko - when someone accurately reflects what I've said and a position I've taken, and takes exception - I'm happy to look at it, and have more than once said, "my bad" and/or apologized. When someone is reacting to things they've ADDED to what I've said, and then takes offense - the problem lies with them - not with me. It's a waste of my time to try to convince someone that they are not correctly reflecting my views or statements. I'll do it a couple times - but when it becomes clear that the person is going to stick to their interpretation no matter what - I have better things to do with my time.

My primary fault in that area is that I tend to try to correct the miss-perception for too long. I need to correct it once, maybe twice, and then get better at "wiping the dust" as they say, and moving on.

Comment

Please point out where I have ever said that the Trump administration "did not win fare (fair, actually) and square?"

And I have often said that a person who cannot make a positive statement about the opposition, or a negative statement about their own "team" has lost perspective. I have several times pointed out the things that have been done by this administration that I agree with. I acknowledge there are not many. And I have noted that Trump is a "media savant." So your observation appears to be off the mark.

Feel free to point to any oost where I have said any of these things. I am not going to waste my time defending positions I do not hold and things I have not said.

I'm not sure what you think is "my side," but I have certainly been clear that Clinton was an entitled idiot in many of her choices. You seem to be raving away at a lot of things I've never said - and ignored a lot of things I have, OBP. You might want to check your facts before going of on these rants.

I have some kleenex, if you need them...
                      I was just venting, Carpe. I may well have been guilty of lumping you in with everyone else whose side you pretty consistently take. I will accept your assertion regarding Clinton, since it's rather unequivocal (I don't recall seeing that, but I don't religiously read your posts).
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No.

My wife did talk me down a bit - pointing out that Trump actually won with a minority of the vote - so although a lot of those people exist - they are not the majority. And she also pointed out that many people voted as a "not her" choice - and that I ought to wait it out and see if it holds. Since then it has become clear that, while Trump's base is solid, it is not growing. I have taken heart at much of the opposition that has arisen against what he represents. I have high hopes for 2020.

But if Trump is re-elected in 2020, I have no intention of remaining. This will no longer be the country I grew up in if such a man can be put in office twice - and I would prefer to move on. We have friends in Australia. I have been researching retirement in some of the Caribbean islands. I will probably stay around until my mother and my wife's parents pass on, but that is likely to be sooner than later - and then I will move on.
                        Thanks for showing how unhinged you truly are.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I was just venting, Carpe.
                          Fair enough.

I may well have been guilty of lumping you in with everyone else whose side you pretty consistently take.
                          Pretty much.

I will accept your assertion regarding Clinton, since it's rather unequivocal (I don't recall seeing that, but I don't religiously read your posts).
                          I will have you know that my posts are fine literature. How dare you skip so much as a single one of them!

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            Thanks for showing how unhinged you truly are.
                            You're welcome.

Comment

You're welcome.
                              Now, do you feel better after attacking a media made caricature of Trump and those that voted for him?
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                Now, do you feel better after attacking a media made caricature of Trump and those that voted for him?
                                No - I feel better after describing the Trump I see and who's tweets I read with my own eyes, and who's speeches I listen to with my own ears (actually - I can't stand watching him, so I usually just read his speeches - at least the important ones). I don't need any media outlet to dictate my views to me. Hopefully, you don't either.

Comment