Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's National Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Trump is only deemed worse because you include every misstatement, every expression of opinion that you disagree with as a lie.
    No - Trump is worse because Trump is worse.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Again, I've seen lists like the one the TDS afflicted wave about since the time of Johnson and Nixon.
    Yes - there have been similar lists. No other politician so regularly flat out lies as this president. Sorry, Rogue - I know that Trump's base is quick to dismiss almost anything he says/does - but it doesn't means he doesn't say or do it. We have the video - the transcripts - and we have the accompanying facts. Trump doesn't ALWAYS lie - he just does so at an unprecedented rate - and then repeats the same lies over and over and over again - even when they are shown to be untrue.

Heck - even the U.N laughed at him.... so much for the claim that the world would no longer be laughing at America once he was president. Most of the world is doing exactly that. He's internationally seen as a buffoon.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I've read it - but since any response is apparently already deemed "handwaving," there doesn't seem to be much point.
      So, you're hand waving it!

(kidding - yeah, you have a point)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Heck - even the U.N laughed at him....
        You were doing good til you got to this comment. The UN is a joke. But that's another thread.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So, you're hand waving it!

(kidding - yeah, you have a point)
          And you have a soul...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Liberal flip-flop:

Vox.com, September 11, 2016: The TSA is a waste of money that doesn't save lives and might actually cost them

So airport security is a bad thing. Got it.

Vox.com, January 9, 2018: To build the wall, Trump is sacrificing airport security during the government shutdown

So airport security is a good thing. Got i- wait, whaaaaa?

Not to mention the fact that Vox apparently wants good security at our airports but not at our border.
            I think it's unreasonable to call it a "flip-flop" when the articles aren't even by the same writer.

Heck, I remember when Trump was advocating removing birth citizenship to children of illegal aliens (whatever did happen to that attempt?) and there was of course the re-invigorated debate about whether that's constitutional or not, National Review ran articles from both people who argued it was and people who argued it wasn't, all posted within days of each other. That's not a "flip-flop", that's just different writers having different views.
            Last edited by Terraceth; 01-09-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Anyone who can listen to a Trump speech and call him "very good" is not in full command of the English language. What Trump is good at is rallying a crowd with buzzwords that get their blood up. But he can't complete a cogent sentence to save his life. Reading one of his "extemporaneous" speeches is like reading a text created by someone who randomly chose the sequence of words out of a bingo-like box.

Here's a marvelous example:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34338[/ATTACH]

That's what he sounds like every time he opens his mouth. Trumps supporters apparently equate his ability to nonsensically babble on with intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                That's what he sounds like every time he opens his mouth. Trumps supporters apparently equate his ability to nonsensically babble on with intelligence.
                Any excuse will do for why your candidate lost, eh?
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Anyone who can listen to a Trump speech and call him "very good" is not in full command of the English language. What Trump is good at is rallying a crowd with buzzwords that get their blood up. But he can't complete a cogent sentence to save his life. Reading one of his "extemporaneous" speeches is like reading a text created by someone who randomly chose the sequence of words out of a bingo-like box.

Here's a marvelous example:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34338[/ATTACH]

Sure, you can sift through everything Trump has said and cherry pick instances where he was perhaps less than eloquent. So what? I never said the man was a flawless orator.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Here's a great article for you to hand wave away....

Sometimes I think the media reads theologyweb. We said that first!

Comment

Clearly we don't when it comes to your nonsensical babbling.

Comment

Sure, you can sift through everything Trump has said and cherry pick instances where he was perhaps less than eloquent. So what? I never said the man was a flawless orator.
                        MM - the text from pretty much every speech I have looked at it (unless he was reading from a script) is pretty close to this - some slightly better - some even worse.

So - here's the challenge. I've provided an example of Trump's stream-of-consciousness style of speaking. So why don't you find an example of a speech he gave where he wasn't reading from a script and was "good" and provide the link or the text. The transcript please, so we can all clearly and easily read his words as quickly as we wish. You don't even have to go for "eloquent." God knows you won't find THAT.

Comment

That's what he sounds like every time he opens his mouth.
                          Jim, when you're not the brightest bulb in the socket, it's not such a good idea to be criticizing others.

Comment

MM - the text from pretty much every speech I have looked at it (unless he was reading from a script) is pretty close to this - some slightly better - some even worse.
                            Yes, I'm aware of your confirmation bias.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Looking forward to see if you can provide the transcript Carpe encouraged you to share with us. Then you could show your statement to be true.

Prediction: you will not do it.

Comment

Pivoting to my person doesn't avoid your problem, MM. Where's the link to this "good" speech that Trump delivered spontaneously? Provide it please, and we'll know that he is capable of such a thing.

Comment