Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's National Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Is it humane to put children behind bars?
    Let's apply the "no family separation" policy to every other crime and see how far we get before liberals start screaming about how it's inhumane to incarcerate children with their criminal parents. Because simply not holding the parents accountable when they break the law is not a viable option.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Other than the 50 or so you've posted here, you mean.

Yes - other than those. As I've mentioned in several posts - I initially decided to start posting there because I felt the images were all skewed in one political direction, making the entire thread a right-leaning, conservative "bubble." I stopped posting there when I realized that I had fallen into the trap of just "feeding the trolls" by becoming troll myself - and I stopped. I'm not proud of those posts - and wish I could delete them. However - they stand as a reminder that I'm not perfect, and can get into the gutter with the best of them if I am not vigilant.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Funny how words nonetheless trigger a defensive reaction, even after you've declared you would get out of the business of defending yourself.
      Yeah - guilty on that one. No question about it. There's a natural inclination to rise to one's own defense. I definitely need to work on that. I doubt I'll get it right in the near future. I need to practice my zen!
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Neither had courts telling them that they were no longer allowed to keep families together. Why did you leave that part out? It's almost like you're trying to be deliberately duplicitous.
        Exactly what court ruled that families could not stay together...?
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          ...they stand as a reminder that I'm not perfect...
          No such evidence necessary.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Exactly what court ruled that families could not stay together...?
            This was hashed over again and again in the thread about all this. Go look it up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              It's just that you were denying claiming to be centrist to LPOT when you have always claimed to be pretty much centrist all along. In fact it seems to be a point of pride with you that you are in the middle and see both sides and are more fair than the rest of us biased peons.
              So "being in the middle" and "seeing both sides" are not the same thing. I can see and understand the arguments made by both sides of the gun, debate, for example. That doesn't change the fact that I am strongly for gun control, and would like to see the second amendment repealed. So on that subject, I can "see both sides" but I am strongly left. Similar thing applies to abortion - but on that one I believe both sides are wrong and stuck in their "my way or the highway" position - dooming the whole discussion to non-resolution pretty much forever.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              That is why your denying it to LPOT was such a "what the...?" moment to me. I clearly remember us discussing the political compass in that one thread and you claiming how center you were and then I took the test and I came out more center than you did.
              Yep - all of those types of test that I have taken have consistently put me left of center to various (but with minor variation) degrees - as a general average. The problem is that a "general average" doesn't say much. What's missing is the "standard deviation." On average, I am left of center, but I have a very high standard deviation from topic to topic.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              It isn't us that is spending so much time about where on the spectrum you sit, it is you yourself who keep bringing up over and over, trying to show how fair and balanced you are.
              I don't believe I have ever claimed to be "fair and balanced." If you know of such a claim made by me - by all means link it. Otherwise, you appear to be putting words in my mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Let's apply the "no family separation" policy to every other crime and see how far we get before liberals start screaming about how it's inhumane to incarcerate children with their criminal parents. Because simply not holding the parents accountable when they break the law is not a viable option.
                Of course - the separation you are talking about happens AFTER due process has concluded - not before... right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  No such evidence necessary.
                  Tell me something I don't know (or my wife doesn't regularly remind me about....)

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    This was hashed over again and again in the thread about all this. Go look it up.
                    I'm going to guess that you are referring to the ruling that children could not be housed with their parents "in criminal jails." That ruling does not require families to be separated - and both Bush and Obama honored that ruling and managed to keep families together. They did it by not using criminal jails. They also honored the ruling that required children to be released within 20 (21?) days using a variety of techniques (e.g., ankle monitors, domestic sponsors, etc.). Most of those programs showed a very high rate of appearance for subsequent immigration hearings - but several of them were defunded despite that level of success. Guess who defunded them...?

Comment

Of course - the separation you are talking about happens AFTER due process has concluded - not before... right?
                      No. When someone is caught "in the act", the usual process is to arrest them on the spot.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        No. When someone is caught "in the act", the usual process is to arrest them on the spot.
                        And then they are usually given an opportunity for bail. Only for the most egregious crimes where there is a danger to society is bail not offered - but there has to be credible evidence provided for the judge to make that ruling. Somehow, "crossing that man-made, imaginary line between that country and this one" doesn't seem to rise to that level of harm...

Comment

And then they are usually given an opportunity for bail. Only for the most egregious crimes where there is a danger to society is bail not offered - but there has to be credible evidence provided for the judge to make that ruling. Somehow, "crossing that man-made, imaginary line between that country and this one" doesn't seem to rise to that level of harm...
                          Not for flight risks.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Trump actually said something funny today --- something about the "catch and release", and "we let them go and tell them to come back to court in 2 or 3 years --- but only 2% actually show up for court, and we don't want to keep those ones because they're that stupid".

Yeah, I know, I'm a deplorable person for finding that comical.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, when somebody breaks the law, who gets to determine that it "doesn't seem to rise to that level of harm"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                Not for flight risks.
                                True dat - but again, proportional to the crime. And the numbers show that, with the right program, the "flight risk" for an undocumented family at the border awaiting a hearing is minimal. Several programs showed appearance rates above 90% (the sponsorship program had the highest level of success). Of course - they were defunded. We can't actually have something funded that actually works, right? I mean, after all, then how are you going to claim that those "nasty old illegal aliens never show up for their hearings!"

Comment