Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Christian supporters are unchristian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's very simple:
    No, you are very simple minded.
    I can make whatever choice I want, and God knows whatever choice I will make.
    You can't make any choices you want because you are determined to choose that which was known you would choose before you even existed. Just answer the question for yourself; how is it that your future was known prior to you existing, and, though I won't be holding my breath, a light might possibly come on in your head.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Logic alone is no guarantee of correctness. Anyone versed in mathematics or philosophy knows this.

Logic applied to presumption based in ignorance has no more authority than the meaningless babble of a baby.

Jim
      Faith is a powerful thing, isn't it Jim?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        How do you know?
        Doesn't matter. If you are working on the opposite assumption, i.e. that the future exists in the same sense as the past having already occured, then you still wouldn't have free will because both the past and the future, all of time, would have existed since the beginning of time. B-theory of time Sparko. I know your familiar with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          When did I "freely choose" given that the omniscient deity has known for all eternity, before I even existed, what I would choose?
          When you made the choice.

Where the person who knows what your freewill choice is located doesn't change anything. If the person with the knowledge is in the future, in the present or in the past, they still have the knowledge and you still freely chose the action. Them moving about in time or being outside of time changes nothing from a logical point of view. Their knowledge is always based on what you actually choose.

Logically it is:

1. You choose to do something
          2. That caused X to know what you did.

The location of X doesn't even factor into the equation.

Comment

When you made the choice.

Where the person who knows what your freewill choice is located doesn't change anything. If the person with the knowledge is in the future, in the present or in the past, they still have the knowledge and you still freely chose the action. Them moving about in time or being outside of time changes nothing from a logical point of view. Their knowledge is always based on what you actually choose.

Logically it is:

1. You choose to do something
            2. That caused X to know what you did.

The location of X doesn't even factor into the equation.
            How many times do you have to hear that if all of time exists, then it has always existed since time began, which means that no actual change takes place within it, before it sinks in?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Faith is a powerful thing, isn't it Jim?
              Yes it is. But that isn't the issue here. I am arguing simply the intellectual case, my beliefs in the matter are not even in sync with the argument I'm making. My argument stems from what the situation is as I see it logically, intellectually. However, you will keep telling yourself that the only reason I don't get what you are saying is because my belief is blinding me to your way of thinking, and so, as I've already said, this conversation can go nowhere. On to other topics - at least as far as you and I are concerned.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                That doesn't work, Jim.

If you can make a different choice, then God can be wrong.
                If God can't be wrong, then you can't make a different choice.

It doesn't matter if you never do make a different choice, the suggestion that you could leads to a suggestion that God could be wrong.
                Unless you concede that God can be wrong, your argument fails.
                I don't think so Roy. I gave the proper condition. And yours is an oversimplification and thus loses the subtlety that is critical. I won't make a different choice unless the circumstances are altered. And for God not to have already factored that into what He knows, those circumstances have to be able to occur without his prior knowledge, which means that to show my free will, one must assume a priori infallibilty is false. It is not proven false, it is an initial condition.

the difference is: are my choices controlled. You are conflating the fact I won't make a different choice with I can't make a different choice. I can make a different choice, but I won't. My will is what is driving the choosing, not God's knowledge.

Jim
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-18-2019, 09:37 AM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Yes it is. But that isn't the issue here. I am arguing simply the intellectual case, my beliefs in the matter are not even in sync with the argument I'm making. My argument stems from what the situation is as I see it logically, intellectually. However, you will keep telling yourself that the only reason I don't get what you are saying is because my belief is blinding me to your way of thinking, and so, as I've already said, this conversation can go nowhere. On to other topics - at least as far as you and I are concerned.

Jim
                  Well, we both know that's not true, you have clearly stated that we can't understand god therefore our logic doesn't matter. But, so be it, if you're done, you're done.

Comment

Well, we both know that's not true, you have clearly stated that we can't understand god therefore our logic doesn't matter. But, so be it, if you're done, you're done.
                    Nice try

On to other things.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                      Just answer the question for yourself; how is it that your future was known prior to you existing...
                      As we've repeatedly explained to you, Jimmy, God essentially looks at your future the way you look at someone's past; your knowing what someone chose to do does not mystically deprive them of freewill.

To put it another way, I can make whatever choice I want, and God knows whatever choice I will make.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        As we've repeatedly explained to you, Jimmy, God essentially looks at your future the way you look at someone's past; your knowing what someone chose to do does not mystically deprive them of freewill.

To put it another way, I can make whatever choice I want, and God knows whatever choice I will make.
                        As I have repeatedly explained to you MM, is that if god looks at our future the same way that we look at our pasts, then that future already exists, and always has existed since time began, period. It's called the B-theory of time, in which free will doesn't, and logically, could not, exist. This logical fact never seems to sink in with any of you which is hard to explain as even a child could understand that concept.

Comment

How many times do you have to hear that if all of time exists, then it has always existed since time began, which means that no actual change takes place within it, before it sinks in?
                          JimL, for the sake of argument, assume that all of time exists - the B theory. And yesterday let's say you ate waffles for breakfast. WHAT exactly caused you to eat the waffles in the B theory of time since you think you have no free will?

Explain the exact mechanism of what caused you to decide to eat the waffles, instead of say, pancakes or skipping breakfast?

Comment

JimL, for the sake of argument, assume that all of time exists - the B theory. And yesterday let's say you ate waffles for breakfast. WHAT exactly caused you to eat the waffles in the B theory of time since you think you have no free will?

Explain the exact mechanism of what caused you to decide to eat the waffles, instead of say, pancakes or skipping breakfast?
                            Put on your thinking cap Sparko. If all of time exists and has always existed then nothing within time changes since the beginning time. Think of a that film strip of yours in which each clip in the film stands for a different moment in time, but all the moments exist together as one whole unchanging film. In the B-theory universe if yesterday I'm eating waffles for breakfast then yesterday I've always been eating waffles for breakfast.

Comment

Put on your thinking cap Sparko. If all of time exists and has always existed then nothing within time changes since the beginning time. Think of a that film strip of yours in which each clip in the film stands for a different moment in time, but all the moments exist together as one whole unchanging film. In the B-theory universe if yesterday I'm eating waffles for breakfast then yesterday I've always been eating waffles for breakfast.
                              On my film strip it only records the free will actions of the people in the film. It doesn't cause them.

So what if you have always been eating waffles yesterday morning. You didn't answer me WHY you would have chosen to eat them.

Do you regularly do things without thinking or choosing?

Wait, that was a trick question. don't answer it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                As I have repeatedly explained to you MM, is that if god looks at our future the same way that we look at our pasts, then that future already exists, and always has existed since time began, period. It's called the B-theory of time, in which free will doesn't, and logically, could not, exist. This logical fact never seems to sink in with any of you which is hard to explain as even a child could understand that concept.
                                Yes, that future exists because of the freewill choices that we will make.

See, the problem with you going on about "B-theory of time", a concept which you seem to barely understand, is that you've never connected the dots to explain exactly how that would deprive us of freewill.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment