Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Future and Direction of the GOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Bernie is a crossdresser?

If so, would he be Queen NoTeefa?
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Gotcha.... you had your little speech in mind, and found an article you could use as a diving board, regardless of the fact it had nothing to do with .....

OK!
      No - I didn't say that either. But nice try...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        No - I didn't say that either. But nice try...
        Birds have bills yet they still sing.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          True dat.

I think he called them a basket full of irredeemable deplorables or something like that.
          No - that was Clinton.

While that could be said about any candidate he has also kept a great many of his election promises. This from a piece by Marc Thiessen covers a number of them:

There's others like tax cuts, repealing a bunch of other Obama era regulations, net neutrality, and canceling Obama's deal with Iran. There are others he is still trying to get through like canceling federal funding to sanctuary cities and bringing back manufacturing jobs to the U.S.
          Umm... an odd list, and it ignores pretty much everything Trump has reneged on. Let's look at each:

Now for the broken promise list...
          • Enact new ethics reforms to reduce the corrupting influence of special interests
          • Make two- and four-year college more affordable
          • Provide matching contributions for low-income families to the dependent care savings accounts
          • Create tax-free dependent care savings accounts for young and elderly dependents
          • Allow Americans to deduct child care and elder care from their taxes
          • Reduce the number of tax brackets from seven to three, and likewise greatly simplify tax forms (I believe the claim was "file your taxes with a postcard")
          • Incentivize employers to provide on-site child-care services
          • Propose and pass tax simplification bill in which the largest tax reductions are for the middle class
          • Let states manage Medicaid funds
          • Replace Obamacare with health savings accounts
          • Fully repeal and replace Obamacare
          • Leverage public-private partnerships and private investments through tax incentives to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over 10 years
          • Direct the secretary of the treasury to label China a currency manipulator
          • Impose a five-year ban on White House and congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service
          • Promise not to spend time playing golf (like Obama) because he'd be too busy working for us
          • Promise not to spend taxpayer money campaigning (so far has reimbursed about $133K of over $17M spent on transport to rallies)
          • Promise not to showcase Air Force One at campaign rallies (actually moved the venue to a location where Air Force One could be showcased)

So many on the right seem to conveniently forget any promise he made that he HASN'T kept.

That's kind of like saying he won by winning.
          It acknowledges that Clinton acted stupidly (with respect to the Electoral college) and Trump did not.

If Comey hadn't already decided to completely exonerate her before seeing the evidence against her then there wouldn't have been any last minute re-opening of the investigation. IOW, it never should have been summarily closed in the first place.
          Sorry, Rogue, but everything I've seen says that the investigation was thorough, and there was no cause to proceed further. When new evidence emerged, Comey rightly re-opened the investigation to examine the new evidence. He also rightly notified Congress of the situation. His confidential letter to the Republican-led committee was leaked for obvious political reasons.

And I thank God for that.
          Well - I don't, obviously. First, I don't believe there IS a god to be thanked. Second, I don't believe the nation is well served when SCOTUS is badly skewed in either direction. Right now it is skewed to the right, and in danger of skewing even further. I believe our nation is best served when SCOTUS is balanced, ideally 3-3-3.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Actually, yes. That's one of 2 things that are typically meant when gun control is mentioned. Background checks and a ban on assault style weapons.
            I'm not sure why you are limiting it to these two things. Other things that have also been suggested/promoted include reductions in magazine sizes, elimination of bump stocks, requirements for safe storage, increasing the legal age to 21, red flag laws, a national firearms registry, and arming teachers (that latter one usually from people on the right).

Because the left is demanding more than just background checks and refuses to budge on the compromise. The right has offered to compromise on UBCs, but not a national registry, which is another less-publicized sticking point.
            First, "the left" does not speak with one voice. Second, you still did not answer the question: if everyone is agreeing on UBCs, why is there no progress on that front?

Comment

Birds have bills yet they still sing.

Comment

Yeah, it has as much to do with your post as your cited article does to your "talking points".
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not sure why you are limiting it to these two things. Other things that have also been suggested/promoted include reductions in magazine sizes, elimination of bump stocks, requirements for safe storage, increasing the legal age to 21, red flag laws, a national firearms registry, and arming teachers (that latter one usually from people on the right).

But that's not typical of what people think gun control means:

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/07/us/gun-control-explained.html

In recent years, gun control debates have focused primarily on background checks for buyers, allowing people to carry weapons in public, and whether to allow the possession of assault rifles.

© Copyright Original Source

First, "the left" does not speak with one voice. Second, you still did not answer the question: if everyone is agreeing on UBCs, why is there no progress on that front?
                  Because the Democrats and moderate Conservatives in congress refuse to allow a vote solely on UBCs and have always held the issue hostage to other anti-gun measures (See the Schumer/Cornyn bill earlier this year). And because the Dems wish to use the current background check system to develop a national gun registry.
                  Last edited by Bill the Cat; 12-03-2018, 12:56 PM.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    You must have missed the midterm elections. 8 million more people voted for democrats than for republicans. Even when republicans win, they usually lose the popular vote and that trend is continuing. You have to give them credit though, they are very good at cheating and taking advantage of the process.
                    Bless your heart, JimL.

Comment

So basically, if the poll doesn't align with what you believe, you just toss it out and assume it is wrong.

And then you think that I am living in a bubble?

Sparko - if I were living in a bubble...I wouldn't be here...
                      I guess we will find out at the next election one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Bless your heart, JimL.
                        It gets old explaining to him how football games are not won by yards run.....

Comment

It gets old explaining to him how football games are not won by yards run.....
                          It gets old explaining to you that due to republican undermining of the democratic process it is no longer a democracy. NC election fraud by republicans invalidates republican win in the midterms, Republicans in Wisconsin and Michigan after losing the governorships undermine the power of the democratically elected governors. Republicans aren't playing by the rules, dopey, they are undermining democracy itself!

Comment

It gets old explaining to you that due to republican undermining of the democratic process it is no longer a democracy. NC election fraud by republicans invalidates republican win in the midterms, Republicans in Wisconsin and Michigan after losing the governorships undermine the power of the democratically elected governors. Republicans aren't playing by the rules, dopey, they are undermining democracy itself!
                            Isn't it time to take your meds, Peewee?

Comment

It gets old explaining to you that due to republican undermining of the democratic process it is no longer a democracy.
                              It's never been a democracy, idiot.

NC election fraud by republicans invalidates republican win in the midterms,
                              What fraud? Oh, you mean the ALLEGED fraud that has only begun to be investigated, and no charges have been filed?

Republicans in Wisconsin and Michigan after losing the governorships undermine the power of the democratically elected governors.
                              Politics as normal...

Republicans aren't playing by the rules, dopey, they are undermining democracy itself!
                              Dems aren't playing by the rules either, doofus. Both sides are crooked. We at least admit that. You refuse to see the smut in your own house.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It's never been a democracy, idiot.
                                Duh, yes, it is a democracy. Why are certain states considered to be blue, liberal states, and some red, ignorant states? It's because in blue states the majority electorate is liberal, and in red states the majority is ignorant.

What fraud? Oh, you mean the ALLEGED fraud that has only begun to be investigated, and no charges have been filed?
                                Oh, it's obvious fraud to anyone who, unlike yourself, isn't willfully blind.

Politics as normal...
                                No, politics the way republicans play it. In other words, they abuse the system in order to blatantly and tyranically oppress the will of the people.

Dems aren't playing by the rules either, doofus. Both sides are crooked. We at least admit that. You refuse to see the smut in your own house.
                                That's because it's a false equivalency. You don't see democrats, by many different methods, suppressing the vote of the opposition, you don't see them oppressing the will of those duly elected by changing the rules after losing an election. The new Republicans, like Trump, are by nature basically autocratic, not democratic, and they know that the only way they can beat an overwhelming majority is to undermine democracy itself. But their scam is being revealed and their time is running out as the midterms have shown.

Comment