Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Missionary Killed on Remote Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    ...which is to say, no communication at all. He was sorta stuck there once his assistants dropped him off. Keep straining, you might find something.
    I have no idea what you think I might be missing.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken.
      I somewhat tongue-in-cheekedly refer to this as "hearing in ears" rather than "speaking in tongues".

That's very similar to what happened in my living room about 15 years ago with our South American / Mexican missionaries.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Funny how that never happens publicly, except in the biblical fiction.
        How do you it never happened publicly, beside what was recorded in Scripture?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I can't say what he was counting on... haven't seen enough facts to validate that assumption on my part.

It seems reasonable to me, however, that he may have been expecting (or hoping) for the Holy Spirit to intervene in a way that would cause the islanders to understand his intent, if not his message.
          Maybe. But if so, why try speaking Xhosa? Unless he thought they might understand it. And he must have been optimistic to have tried a third time after the Holy Spirit didn't intervene during his first two visits.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I can't say what he was counting on... haven't seen enough facts to validate that assumption on my part.

It seems reasonable to me, however, that he may have been expecting (or hoping) for the Holy Spirit to intervene in a way that would cause the islanders to understand his intent, if not his message.
            Right, that's what I said. He was a bit daft, and now he is dead as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Maybe. But if so, why try speaking Xhosa? Unless he thought they might understand it.
              I don't know, Roy, except that may have been the 'act of faith' he thought God would bless... I really don't know.

And he must have been optimistic to have tried a third time after the Holy Spirit didn't intervene during his first two visits.
              There are a couple of parables (Luke 11 and 18) where Jesus implies that "importunity", or persistence, pays off. Again, I really don't know.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Meanwhile, his friends and family are holding out hope that he's still alive somehow...

WHERE'S HIS BODY? US missionary John Chau who was shot dead with arrows by tribe on remote island may still be ALIVE, friends and family believe

Comment

I don't recall the Apostles having to speak in e.g. Japanese for the gift of tongues to work.
                  The apostles spoke in, likely, Greek, as that was the language of the common man in that day. The people HEARD the message in their own languages.

I like to call it the gift of the hearer. It has been badly corrupted, and since not long after the first instance of it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

How could he have been telling them about Jesus? He didn't speak their language.
                    Maybe he planned on making friends with them, then learning their language?

Christian Missionaries have been doing this for 2,000 years now. Sometimes they get killed, sometimes they succeed. Actually, EVENTUALLY they succeed (as Missionaries are known to keep going until they do)

Currently there are Christian missionaries in many hostile lands, like China and the Middle East, bringing bibles, teaching, and helping people with food and supplies. Many times they are killed or tortured if caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      From my previous link...

Comment

I think they might be trying to force India into recovering the body

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Christian Missionaries have been doing this for 2,000 years now. Sometimes they get killed, sometimes they succeed. Actually, EVENTUALLY they succeed (as Missionaries are known to keep going until they do)

Currently there are Christian missionaries in many hostile lands, like China and the Middle East, bringing bibles, teaching, and helping people with food and supplies. Many times they are killed or tortured if caught.
                          They've lived contentedly and died for thousands of years without the virus of some other groups beliefs infecting them. I'll bet you don't like it, or allow, Jehovah Witnesses's to come into your house to preach to you either. Apparently the tribespeople told him to beat it, but he had to keep coming back knowing that he was angering them and that they might kill him. Well, he was right, end of story.

Comment

They've lived contentedly and died for thousands of years without the virus of some other groups beliefs infecting them. I'll bet you don't like it, or allow, Jehovah Witnesses's to come into your house to preach to you either. Apparently the tribespeople told him to beat it, but he had to keep coming back knowing that he was angering them and that they might kill him. Well, he was right, end of story.
                            Serves him right, eh?
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              Serves him right, eh?
                              Nope, at least I wouldn't put it that way.

Comment

They've lived contentedly

and died for thousands of years without the virus of some other groups beliefs infecting them.
                                They're still in the Stone Age, Jim, living hand to mouth.
                                I'll bet you don't like it, or allow, Jehovah Witnesses's to come into your house to preach to you either.
                                I've talked with JWs AND Mormons at my residence, Jim. I'm more than happy to do so again. Heck, you're free to wander by and attempt to convert me, too.
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment