Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Gun Confiscation Killing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    We don't get to choose if we are shot to death by a mad man or not. Apples and oranges.
    You certainly may have a choice if you are armed yourself.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      We don't get to choose if we are shot to death by a mad man or not. Apples and oranges.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        First of all, I would like you to back up that assertion that "Most of us get the Flu". I don't think that's true. According to WebMD the odds of getting the Flu are 5% - 20%.
        5%-20% each year. That works out to 95%-100% over a person's lifetime. So yes, most of you get flu.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          5%-20% each year. That works out to 95%-100% over a person's lifetime. So yes, most of you get flu.
          I don't think the odds of probability work that way...
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

First of all, I would like you to back up that assertion that "Most of us get the Flu". I don't think that's true. According to WebMD the odds of getting the Flu are 5% - 20%.

Second of all, the CDC disagree's with you. Did you check the link? If 12,000 to 56,000 people die from Flu and Flu related illnesses, then you are much more likely to die (by a huge magnitude) from the Flu than a mass shooting.
            Until I started getting flu shots. I got the flu almost every year it was going around. One of the reasons I get it. I'm still here. The Flu is unpleasant, but for most of us never comes close to being lethal.

Yes, I am much more likely to die from the Flu than a mass shooting. Or Ebola. Or lightening. The lethality of a disease is not defined by the probability of getting it. It is defined by the probability of dying IF it get it. We act to contain a lethal disease when it appears. We act more aggressively if it shows a signs it is growing or spreading. Mass shootings are increasing. gun violence in general is very high in this country compared to most civilized nations. The difference? Most civilized nations have stricter gun laws.

However, all that said, I don't like your disease analogy for several reasons. So I'm not going to continue a form of conversation about it that assumes the comparison is somehow equivalent. First and foremost , disease is not a sentient act by a malevolent being. It gets very cold blooded to try to compare the shock, carnage and heartless mayhem of a shooting like happened in Las Vegas to a disease. Diseases do not have mind, soul. They are not 'evil' or 'malevolent'.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Do you suppose Roy tossed 95 to 100% out off the top of his head?

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                Yes, I do think that. You get the flu every year without a flu shot...I've never had the flu. Assuming the first number leads to the second is not in line with the laws of probability. BTW, my wife got a flu shot last year and still got the flu...meanwhile, I never get a flu shot and still didn't get it. If a coin is flipped 100 times and it comes up heads 100 times, what are the odds it will come up heads on the 101st try? Answer is 50%.

Comment

Comparing the situation to a driver in a car is much better than to a disease. The car is operated by a person who can have intent, evil, or malice.

However, a car's sole purpose is not to be a lethal weapon. Even so, because in irresponsible hands cars can be dangerous and even lethal, we license drivers. We arrest them if they are using their car irresponsibly. We test their driving capabilities regularly, and we take their licenses away if they show they can't be trusted with it.

Jim

Comment

You certainly may have a choice if you are armed yourself.
                    No, having a gun on you doesn't necessarily give you a choice. If some mad man walks up to you and blows your head off it isn't going to matter one wit if you are carrying.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      No, having a gun on you doesn't necessarily give you a choice. If some mad man walks up to you and blows your head off it isn't going to matter one wit if you are carrying.
                      Same is true of the guy in line behind you sneezing his head off in your direction...at least I have a chance against someone with a gun. Especially in a crowd where I'm less likely to be the first one shot at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                        Whether mass shootings are becoming more common isn't the topic of this thread either but here we are...

My point, that you want to hand wave away, ...
                        I'm not hand-waving it away, I'm saying it's irrelevant. You aren't even asking whether flu is becoming more common.
                        again is that, death by Flu is much more common than death by mass shooting...yet you have no fear of the Flu? Do not want to impose mandatory flu shots, but you DO want mandatory gun regulation. You aren't being consistent IMHO.
                        The two situations are not comparable. Choosing to have a flu jab yourself reduces the chance of catching flu from some-one else. Does choosing not to buy a gun yourself reduce the chance of being shot by some-one else?
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          They do.
                          Yes, I do think that.
                          Oops.
                          Last edited by Roy; 11-14-2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            They do.
                            No they don't, just like the coin flip example.

Comment

• Nobody is claiming that we can completely protect ourselves from everything, but we can take measures that reduce the chances of becoming a victim. For the Flu we have the option of shielding ourselves, for drunk drivers we take away their licence to drive, fine or imprison them, and for being shot to death by mad men with guns we need to toughen the gun laws. Simple as that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                I'm not hand-waving it away, I'm saying it's irrelevant. You aren't even asking whether flu is becoming more common.The two situations are not comparable. Choosing to have a flu jab yourself reduces the chance of catching flu from some-one else. Does choosing not to buy a gun yourself reduce the chance of being shot by some-one else?
                                You seem to be deliberately ignoring my point to change the argument to one I'm not making...that's burning a straw man fallacy. Is flu becoming more common, I'd argue yes it is because of globalization. I asked if it should be mandatory to get flu shots, not get one voluntarily like we do now. That's a direct correlation to regulating someone's ability to guy a gun.

Comment