Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Gun Confiscation Killing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    They definitely are more deadly - the number of casualties in 2017 exceeded the whole of the 2000s - but according to the FBI they're becoming more frequent too.* I noticed the first article doesn't include the last two years.

The chart in the second does show an increase in frequency as well as effect, but the use of the same axis for both plots de-emphasises it. I think that's a scaling effect. It looks like casualties have increased by a factor of 3-5 while incidents have doubled. Certainly the four years with most incidents are all in the last decade - 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2012. The increase also seems to outpace population growth. I'd look more but my eyes are getting squiffy from trying to read the graph.
    do you think there should be a law that requires every person in the US to get a flu shot? After all, the deaths from Flu related illness, DWARFS death by mass shootings. In fact, flu related deaths (approx. 12,000) as estimated by the CDC, these rival, if not surpass gun homicides or suicides (or both if the high of 56,000 is correct)

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/2015-16.htm
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      do you think there should be a law that requires every person in the US to get a flu shot? After all, the deaths from Flu related illness, DWARFS death by mass shootings. In fact, flu related deaths (approx. 12,000) as estimated by the CDC, these rival, if not surpass gun homicides or suicides (or both if the high of 56,000 is correct)

Apples and oranges, littlejoe.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Apples and oranges, littlejoe.
        No it's not. How is that so? Flu is passed from person to person so someone with the flu is potentially lethal as the CDC stats bear out.
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          If he was sane and capable of rational judgement, worthy of keeping his gun, he would still be alive.

Jim
          This is still after the fact and does not serve in any way as a defense of a plain wrong action.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            This is still after the fact and does not serve in any way as a defense of a plain wrong action.
            What was the wrong action? You guys don't seem to know what you want. If the police showed up at the Parkland Florida shooters house, do you think they should have taken his gun from him because of something he may have said, a threat, or shouldn they have just suggested that he get psychological help?

Comment

What was the wrong action? You guys don't seem to know what you want. If the police showed up at the Parkland Florida shooters house, do you think they should have taken his gun from him because of something he may have said, a threat, or shouldn they have just suggested that he get psychological help?
              They should have used established due process, not gone in like gestapos.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                Apparently this is the law. They had legal cause to go to his house and take his guns. Now people that don't like that law can challenge it in the courts, and may have a case. But the fact remains, a normal person of sound mind in this circumstance would not be dead. And a good argument could be made that whoever reported him did indeed have just cause, as demonstrated by the behavior that got him shot.

And you've refused to address the other issues. Do you really believe he would have behaved differently if they were there to collect him for a psych eval?

I'm not sure how it will play out in the courts. It would be better to have a licensing infrastructure as it is with a driver's license. But because the constitution guarantees the right to bear arms, what to do to take a gun away from a mentally unstable person gets complicated. And it's going to be a while before it gets figured out.

But the rate at which gun violence is escalating, and the rate at which mass shootings are escalating, it has to change. To be honest, I'm not sure what the right to bear arms can actually accomplish in these times. At the time of the constitution, it meant any invading force could expect real resistance from the population at large. What real resistance can a gun offer to a tank, or a fighter jet or attack helicopter? And we can't let joe civilian have arms that could truly resist such an invading force. And more and more as a nation, we simply aren't capable of sanely dealing with guns, let alone the sorts of weapons that would actually be a threat to an invading force.

The gun violence in America is bad. Especially when compared to other similarly advanced nations. I'm not going to post stats. If you care, you'll google it. If you don't care, you'll just say the sources are biased. But the statistics are just raw data. And they tell a story. That the abundance, proximity to, and lack of reasonable controls on guns make America one of the worst nations in the world as it relates to gun violence and deaths. Especially as compared to other wealthy, high functioning nations.

There must be changes in how we deal with the issue of guns.

We can do it with laws. We could theoretically do it with a constitutional amendment. People are really getting fed up with being told there is nothing that can be done. With seeing people like yourself try to justify crazies having guns by constantly fighting any and all attempts to keep mass shooting from happening before the fact. If you want to maintain the capacity to easily obtain guns in this country, the wisest thing to do would be to go along with and encourage sensible gun laws and legislation. The perception that crazy people in the NRA and right wing conservatives who care more about being able to brag about their gun collection than whether or not school children are safe will drive the nation as a whole to a hostile attitude to those same people and to the idea it makes sense for there to be few if any real restrictions on gun ownership. If it keeps on like it is now, drastic changes in the right to bear arms are in our future. It would be hard. But if people keep getting slaughtered by idiots with guns, and sensible laws and attempts to take away guns from crazy people keep getting shutdown by people like yourself and the NRA, It will happen.

When the generation now in school who sees school shooting after school shooting and lives with the constant gnawing fear that it could happen at their school watch the old guard keep ignoring these sorts of events, turning their backs on the same kids that experienced the shooting to keep their election campaign $$$ flowing from organizations like the NRA, they will in fact vote against that same status quo.

Jim
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-14-2018, 12:47 AM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No.

This has nothing to do with whether mass shootings are becoming more common.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Having declined to say what stats you meant, you are now arguing that I don't know what stats you meant. Apparently you think this is an effective technique.
                    Was I talking about total public events and outings vs odds of a mass shooter?
                    Let's check:
                    BTW, according to the stats mass shootings are really not more common now than they have been in the past decades. The media gives them more attention now than they did than to get eyeballs on the TV.
                    Nothing there about total public event numbers, nor about odds.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

No it's not. How is that so? Flu is passed from person to person so someone with the flu is potentially lethal as the CDC stats bear out.
                      This flu is not typically lethal. Most of us get the flu, and most of us survive. A crazy man with a gun is mostly lethal. You would be more in line if you picked a disease with a higher lethality, like ebola. But unlike guns, ebola is rare. But once it shows up somewhere the rights go on hold till the out break is contained. To not act in such a case is in fact negligence.

What we have is in the last few years an order of magnitude more mass shootings. We have an outbreak of a sickness that when it strikes has a very high mortality rate. And since it is growibg, and spreading, we must act to contain it.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        This flu is not typically lethal. Most of us get the flu, and most of us survive. A crazy man with a gun is mostly lethal. You would be more in line if you picked a disease with a higher lethality, like ebola. But unlike guns, ebola is rare. But once it shows up somewhere the rights go on hold till the out break is contained. To not act in such a case is in fact negligence.

What we have is in the last few years an order of magnitude more mass shootings. We have an outbreak of a sickness that when it strikes has a very high mortality rate. And since it is growibg, and spreading, we must act to contain it.

Jim
                        First of all, I would like you to back up that assertion that "Most of us get the Flu". I don't think that's true. According to WebMD the odds of getting the Flu are 5% - 20%.

Second of all, the CDC disagree's with you. Did you check the link? If 12,000 to 56,000 people die from Flu and Flu related illnesses, then you are much more likely to die (by a huge magnitude) from the Flu than a mass shooting.
                        Last edited by Littlejoe; 11-14-2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

No.

This has nothing to do with whether mass shootings are becoming more common.
                          Whether mass shootings are becoming more common isn't the topic of this thread either but here we are...

My point, that you want to hand wave away, again is that, death by Flu is much more common than death by mass shooting...yet you have no fear of the Flu? Do not want to impose mandatory flu shots, but you DO want mandatory gun regulation. You aren't being consistent IMHO.

Comment

Whether mass shootings are becoming more common isn't the topic of this thread either but here we are...

My point, that you want to hand wave away, again is that, death by Flu is much more common than death by mass shooting...yet you have no fear of the Flu? Do not want to impose mandatory flu shots, but you DO want mandatory gun regulation. You aren't being consistent IMHO.
                            We don't get to choose if we are shot to death by a mad man or not. Apples and oranges.

Comment

We don't get to choose if we are shot to death by a mad man or not. Apples and oranges.
                              And you do get to choose if you catch the flu?

Comment

Having declined to say wh... blah blah blah, rant rant rant..
                                Whatever Roy, we both know you have zero interest in discussing these things as you are in expressing your LPOTOCD. Get help.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment