Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Acosta's white house pass removed ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Given you create an insult for each person you reply to,
    At best, this can be construed as mere hyperbole, and can be disproven by reading THIS PAGE in the thread.
    and that you use insults the most when someone disagrees with you,
    Show me someone who doesn't. Go on, I'll wait.
    it is unlikely that your claimed 'wise' insults can be recognized amidst the animal dung that comprises the remainder.

Jim
    Jim, perhaps you should consider not using insults while simultaneously complaining of them. That brings to mind a word I'll refrain from using, because you'll merely pass it off as an "insult" regardless of how well it fits the actual situation.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
      Given you create an insult for each person you reply to...
      Not each person. Just the special cases.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Your utter lack of self-awareness and introspection is almost breathtaking.
        So you keep saying. Repeatedly asserting a proposition does not make it true, MM.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Thanks for proving my point.
          The point I proved is...?
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Show me someone who doesn't. Go on, I'll wait.
            In general - I'll point to myself. The vast majority of time, I use insults in humor (e.g., CP's exchanges with me). I am sensitive to the way discourse occurs these days in our country, and the lack of civility that has become the norm. I cannot claim I have never insulted someone in a post when they disagree - I am not perfect and sometimes I have let anger color my response. But, in general, I work pretty hard not to. And, when someone points out that I failed, I consider the observation and generally apologize or correct myself if I have slipped into insulting language. MM called me on it, for example, in an earlier post, where he noted that an adjective I used was unnecessary to the point being made (I think the word was "childish."). As I recall, I first resisted that suggestion, but then acknowledged, after some thought, that he was right and I should not have included the word.

I think a lot of this discussion seems to center on the word "insulting." Just because someone "feels insulted" does not mean that I have "been insulting." If I specifically use language to call names, I am being insulting. If I include negative language unnecessary to the point being made, I am being insulting. If I make an argument and someone is insulted by it, I may or may not actually have been insulting.

The bottom line is that I do not subscribe the the JPHolding school of "no-holds-barred ridicule to put the other person in their place." That does not mean I will not call out inappropriate action when I see it. There is a world of difference between replacing people's names in a quote with taunts and jibes, and saying, "I find the way you are acting/speaking to be harmful and immature."
            Last edited by carpedm9587; 11-26-2018, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              In general - I'll point to myself. The vast majority of time, I use insults in humor (e.g., CP's exchanges with me).
              You called me a turd and you meant it.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                You called me a turd and you meant it.
                Yeah... you're right. Like I said - not perfect.

And I did (and do) apologize.

Now go away - turd!

Comment

In general - I'll point to myself. The vast majority of time, I use insults in humor (e.g., CP's exchanges with me). I am sensitive to the way discourse occurs these days in our country, and the lack of civility that has become the norm. I cannot claim I have never insulted someone in a post when they disagree - I am not perfect and sometimes I have let anger color my response. But, in general, I work pretty hard not to. And, when someone points out that I failed, I consider the observation and generally apologize or correct myself if I have slipped into insulting language. MM called me on it, for example, in an earlier post, where he noted that an adjective I used was unnecessary to the point being made (I think the word was "childish."). As I recall, I first resisted that suggestion, but then acknowledged, after some thought, that he was right and I should not have included the word.
                  Your display of false humility is truly inspiring.

As for the earlier discussion you mention, that's not how I remember it. As I recall you defended yourself to the bitter end and only grudgingly retracted the insult not because it was an insult but because it was redundant.

I'd be curious to see the thread in question since I had no memory of it until you mentioned it. I can't remember the topic, but I do remember at least that part of the discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Your display of false humility is truly inspiring.
                    Thanks!

Someone once told me that humility is not the same as false modesty. True humility is an honest willingness to look at oneself - both good and bad.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    As for the earlier discussion you mention, that's not how I remember it. As I recall you defended yourself to the bitter end and only grudgingly retracted the insult not because it was an insult but because it was redundant.
                    Yeah - you and Sparko seem to do this regularly. The grudging part you added to the exchange. Although I rejected the observation at first, I did give it thought and acknowledged you were right. I was not "grudging" in the least. I was wrong. You were right.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I'd be curious to see the thread in question since I had no memory of it until you mentioned it. I can't remember the topic, but I do remember at least that part of the discussion.
                    I have no idea where it is either. Perhaps someone else will be able to help.

Comment

In general - I'll point to myself. The vast majority of time, I use insults in humor (e.g., CP's exchanges with me).
                      Yet you still use them, more often than not, in conversation with those whom you generally disagree, even if in humor, yes?
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Yet you still use them, more often than not, in conversation with those whom you generally disagree, even if in humor, yes?
                        As I said, I sometimes slip. But usually I use them in humor. And it is not limited to those with whom I disagree. It is on THIS website because I disagree with most people's views here (which is why I came). But I do not generally disagree with my wife, and I am somewhat prone to "playful jibes" with her (which she finds immensely tiring). The same is true of my family and friends. It falls under the rubric of "teasing," but my wife tells me I can be quite tiresome. After 31 years, I am sure that is true.

Comment

The point I proved is...?
                          That you don't normally take any criticism to heart and change. You dismiss it with a handwave or as some sort of insult.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            That you don't normally take any criticism to heart and change. You dismiss it with a handwave or as some sort of insult.
                            As you wish, Sparko. Since I know I do, and have done so even here, several times, I don't see this criticism as being applicable. Indeed, I did so earlier in this discussion with you. I'm sure that comment will simply convince you further. Not much I can do about that. I know I do listen to criticism. I cannot claim to like it. It is sometimes hard to do, and sometimes it takes me a bit. Color me human. For the rest, I'll leave you and MM to your perception.

At this point, I see no value to continuing, so I'll leave the last word to you.

Comment

At this point, I see no value to continuing, so I'll leave the last word to you.
                              Heavens to Murgatroyd! The typical carp "exit stage left"

This is just another example of you dismissing any criticism, Carp.

Comment

• The irony is that arguing against the criticism that you are unwilling to accept criticism proves in and if itself that you are unwilling to accept criticism. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if carpe wasn't constantly holding himself up as a paragon of virtue.

Comment