Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election: What Is Your Take...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red took a hard hard thumping in Illinois, which is probably to be expected. The other big news in the Great Lakes region were the governorships.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      With a little luck Nutsy Nancy Pelosi will be elected Speaker and walking around again with her over-sized gavel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32854[/ATTACH]
      Luck? I thought the Speakership was hers for the taking. Is there anybody else seriously in the running?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Luck? I thought the Speakership was hers for the taking. Is there anybody else seriously in the running?
        "They" expect that there will finally be a serious contender(s) arising for the first time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I was pretty happy to see Ohio go solidly red. Issue 1, which would have given Ohio the most lenient drug laws in the country, also went down in flames with 63% against, much to my relief ("But we would have saved so much money not prosecuting and jailing 'small time' offenders!" Yeah, and would those "savings" have gone back into my pocket? Didn't think so. ). Too bad about Sherrod Brown. We almost got him. Maybe next time.

Comment

The big race here in Georgia was for governor but it looks like it's going to stay red with Abrams hoping to get close enough to force a run-off. Down in Florida the closely watched governor's race went to the Republicans and it seems likely that in the Senate Democrat incumbent, Bill Nelson[1], is going to lose to the Republican and former governor Rick Scott (that will be 3 Republican pick ups in the Senate). This is interesting considering how many pundits saw Florida going blue after the hundreds of thousands of refugees from Puerto Rico that came there after the horrific hurricanes would tip the balance.

1. Who several months ago declared that if he were to lose it would be due to Russian collusion.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Remember what I said:

I say the Republicans pick up two or three seats in the Senate, and they lose the House by about five seats...

Looks like I was pretty close...
              I was less sure but predicted pretty much the same
              Normally, or more accurately, historically-speaking -- without Trump in the mix -- the party out of power, especially after a close and tumultuous presidential election should be taking the House with a 4 to 6 seat majority and gain 1 maybe 2 in the Senate. With Trump in the mix...

So I guess it's

Bt we were off-the-mark with the House. The Democrats did decidedly better.

Comment

Not a lot of trolls in the Breitbart comment section, and the few that are there seem unenthusiastic. They're claiming a big win but are acting like they got punched in the gut.

Comment

Bt we were off-the-mark with the House. The Democrats did decidedly better.
                  Really? I think they are only 8 over the majority at this point.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Really? I think they are only 8 over the majority at this point.
                    many races yet undeclared, 23 by the last check. If it goes as the rest has gone, they'll be up by 12-15 when its all over.

I am VERY glad to see that there will be push back against Trump when he goes off the rails. The GOP has been too yellow to stand up and push back, so we need this scenario. That said, with a fence around him to keep him under control, a person in office that is not a conformist has the potential to be a good thing. But without the fence around him to keep his more destructive impulses under control it has been a disaster with the potential to go even worse places. I don't know which element was the scariest, Trumps penchant for lying and self glorification at the expense of others, or the GOP's willingness to give him free reign even when he was headed down roads that historically have never been good.

OTOH, I'm not sure full control (Senate/House) by the Democrats would have been a good thing. The hostile environment Trump has fostered and others on both sides have yielded to and fed would have caused them to over-rebound and there would have been no check on their more destructive impulses. All-in-all, this is, I believe, a much better place than we have been the last two years.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      many races yet undeclared, 23 by the last check. If it goes as the rest has gone, they'll be up by 12-15 when its all over.
                      Possible

All-in-all, this is, I believe, a much better place than we have been the last two years.

Jim
                      My main concern is and has been federal judges. We are in a better position now...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The GOP has been too yellow to stand up and push back...
                        The GOP sat on their hands when they had all the power. The lines might have shifted in the House, but I don't think the status quo has actually changed. I suspect it's going to be business as usual.

Comment

I am VERY glad to see that there will be push back against Trump when he goes off the rails. The GOP has been too yellow to stand up and push back, so we need this scenario. That said, with a fence around him to keep him under control, a person in office that is not a conformist has the potential to be a good thing. But without the fence around him to keep his more destructive impulses under control it has been a disaster with the potential to go even worse places. I don't know which element was the scariest, Trumps penchant for lying and self glorification at the expense of others, or the GOP's willingness to give him free reign even when he was headed down roads that historically have never been good.

OTOH, I'm not sure full control (Senate/House) by the Democrats would have been a good thing. The hostile environment Trump has fostered and others on both sides have yielded to and fed would have caused them to over-rebound and there would have been no check on their more destructive impulses. All-in-all, this is, I believe, a much better place than we have been the last two years.

Jim
                          The Senate would have been nice if only to put a stop the massive swing of the judiciary to the right. But it was always a long shot. In 2020, the foot is in the other shoe, with Reps defending 25 seats and Dems defending 8 (if I remember the numbers correctly). There's a better chance for a shift then. My hope is that everything doesn't OVER correct and we end up back where we were in 2008.
                          Last edited by carpedm9587; 11-07-2018, 10:21 AM.
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            I was pretty happy to see Ohio go solidly red. Issue 1, which would have given Ohio the most lenient drug laws in the country, also went down in flames with 63% against, much to my relief ("But we would have saved so much money not prosecuting and jailing 'small time' offenders!" Yeah, and would those "savings" have gone back into my pocket? Didn't think so. ). Too bad about Sherrod Brown. We almost got him. Maybe next time.
                            Ohio and Florida will be crucial to the 2020 race.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              The Senate would have been nice if only to put a stop the massive swing of the judiciary to the right. But it was always a long shot. In 2020, the foot is in the other shoe, with Reps defending 25 seats and Dems defending 8 (if I remember the numbers correctly). There's a better chance for a shift then. My hope is that everything doesn't OVER correct and we end up back where we were in 2008.
                              Here in Texas, Ted Cruz fairly narrowly staved off challenger Robert O'Rourke. Last I heard the margin won by was around 200k votes in over 8 million votes cast. O'Rourke already has his eye on John Cornyn's seat 2 years from now. Cornyn has supposedly indicated he will not run again, so it will be O'Rourke with all his name recognition vs. probably a no name Rep. candidate. I strongly dislike O'Rourke. Not just because of his platform but his lies about not taking ANY PAC money, when a check on the FEC site clearly shows millions of dollars coming from at least one PAC called ACTBlue, which the FEC site also designates as a PAC. In El Paso when on the City Council he represent the area and voted for condeming or using emiment domain to force barrio residents he represented out...meanwhile, the developer proposing this was O'Rourkes Father in law.
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                                Here in Texas, Ted Cruz fairly narrowly staved off challenger Robert O'Rourke. Last I heard the margin won by was around 200k votes in over 8 million votes cast. O'Rourke already has his eye on John Cornyn's seat 2 years from now. Cornyn has supposedly indicated he will not run again, so it will be O'Rourke with all his name recognition vs. probably a no name Rep. candidate. I strongly dislike O'Rourke. Not just because of his platform but his lies about not taking ANY PAC money, when a check on the FEC site clearly shows millions of dollars coming from at least one PAC called ACTBlue, which the FEC site also designates as a PAC. In El Paso when on the City Council he represent the area and voted for condeming or using emiment domain to force barrio residents he represented out...meanwhile, the developer proposing this was O'Rourkes Father in law.
                                He gives my wife the creeps -- I think he's weird, but she seems to really have a problem with him.

(but, then again, she married me)
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment