Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election: What Is Your Take...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I dare say that the base for both sides is largely uncritical. So many people vote for someone for the wrong reasons that I can only hope that the stupidity is more or less evenly balanced between sides.
    On that I cannot agree. While there is some amount of mindless/unconsidered hatred from the left (and more of it the further left you go), there are many of us who want this man removed for both policy reasons (which is normal when policies are disagreed with) and character-trait/ethics/suitability reasons (which touches on a number of areas that are unusual with this president). I have several reasons for wanting Trump out. On a policy basis, I disagree with the stances he has taken on the environment, taxes, the budget, immigration, and regulation. On a more "personal traits" basis, I believe the man sets a horrible example for our nation and especially our children. He is normalizing name calling, vengeance seeking, lying, and self-serving/dealing from the highest office in the land. He is basing his political strategy on stoking hatred and fear in his base (immigrants, Democrats, liberals, etc.). While some aspect of most of these things are found in many politicians, Trump takes each of them to new heights and sets an example of "perfectly fine." Most politicians do not publicly embrace these tactics as perfectly acceptable.

So I will work, as long and hard as I can, to see him shown the door in 2020.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Won't matter, we will basically have the federal and Supreme courts by then. That is the biggest prize in all this, and those effects will last decades...
      I think your run on court confirmations has run it's course, seer. You think they'll reverse roe v wade. Jokes on you, ain't gonna happen!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Not all of so called red states are still all that red. A lot of people are catching on to the republican scam. The Florida Senate race is heading for a recount, in Arizona's Senate race Sinema is now winning over republican Mcsally, Tester won in Montana, Beto Orourke nearly flipped Texas, in Maine the republican nutcase Lapage's seat was won by a democrat. There are 10's of millions more democrats in the country than there are knuckledraggers and many republicans seem to be wising up, so I wouldn't put the house on the market just yet, I think the republican jig is up.
        Florida is a swing state
        Arizona has become more of a swing state
        Maine has long been more purple than red
        Montana and Texas have drifted left, but they are still deeply red.

Then there is ND, SD, NB, UT, TN, KY, AL, MS, LA, OK, KS, AR, AL, ID, IA, WY, WV, MO, IN, NV, NC, SC, MI, and WI.

Add in TX and MN and you have 26 fairly seriously red states. Then to toss in the more purple states of ME, AZ, FL, OH, FL, VA, PA, and CO - and the result is a seriously up-hill battle for the Senate by Dems in pretty much any election. To win the Senate, Dems need all of the blue states, all of the purple states, and at least 2 red-state Dems (three if Reps have the executive branch, more if they have lost any purple states or if there are any blue-state Reps).
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          Why is the Senate likely to be a problem "indefinitely"? They Democrats had Senate control just a few years ago, as part of an 8-year control of the Senate from 2007 until 2015, including having a whopping 58 senator majority at one point--60 if you count Bernie Sanders and Joe Lieberman.

It's true they might be in a bind regarding the Senate right now, but I don't see it as systematically favoring Republicans.
          The nation has changed, and Trump has pushed it into an even more polarized state than it ever was before. I suspect we're going to see "red state Dems" and "blue state Reps" as an endangered species. That certainly began in 2016 - and the trend continued in 2018. Given Trump's strong polarizing techniques, coupled with the Wormtongue influence of Fox and CNN, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Indeed, I wonder if this dynamic will ever change. I frankly don't see it in my lifetime - which is acknowledged to be only another 2-3 decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            On that I cannot agree. While there is some amount of mindless/unconsidered hatred from the left (and more of it the further left you go), there are many of us who want this man removed for both policy reasons (which is normal when policies are disagreed with) and character-trait/ethics/suitability reasons (which touches on a number of areas that are unusual with this president). I have several reasons for wanting Trump out. On a policy basis, I disagree with the stances he has taken on the environment, taxes, the budget, immigration, and regulation. On a more "personal traits" basis, I believe the man sets a horrible example for our nation and especially our children. He is normalizing name calling, vengeance seeking, lying, and self-serving/dealing from the highest office in the land. He is basing his political strategy on stoking hatred and fear in his base (immigrants, Democrats, liberals, etc.). While some aspect of most of these things are found in many politicians, Trump takes each of them to new heights and sets an example of "perfectly fine." Most politicians do not publicly embrace these tactics as perfectly acceptable.

So I will work, as long and hard as I can, to see him shown the door in 2020.
            Way to turn my general statement into a launching point for an irony-meter busting anti-Trump screed. Pretty much the whole Democratic playbook for the last two years has been stoking hatred and fear of Trump in their base.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              You do realize how state elections work don't you JimL? Votes in one state don't count in another.
              But they SHOULD!!!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Way to turn my general statement into a launching point for an irony-meter busting anti-Trump screed. Pretty much the whole Democratic playbook for the last two years has been stoking hatred and fear of Trump in their base.
                It is not "stoking hatred and fear of Trump" when the observations being made are based on facts - on Trumps own words and actions. The hatred Trump stokes is NOT based on facts - it is based on hyperbole and outright lies. The caravan approaching our southern border is not unprecedented, is not organized by Democrats, most Democrats don't want "open borders," the caravan is NOT comprised of thugs out to do harm, and the list goes on and on and on. The man takes hyperbole WELL beyond hyperbole and all the way to outright lying - regularly and consistently - and he even brags about lying. Name calling is regular. Seeking vengeance is something he takes pride in and has said as much. Affirming dictators and strongmen leaders and disparaging our allies is a matter of public record. The abysmal performance with Putin is a matter of public record. The list goes on and on.

Sorry, OBP - but I think you're comparing apples and oranges.
                Last edited by carpedm9587; 11-09-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

It is not "stoking hatred and fear of Trump" when the observations being made are based on facts - on Trumps own words and actions. The hatred Trump stokes is NOT based on facts - it is based on hyperbole and outright lies. The caravan approaching our southern border is not unprecedented, is not organized by Democrats, most Democrats don't want "open borders," the caravan is NOT comprised of thugs out to do harm, and the list goes on and on and on. The man takes hyperbole WELL beyond hyperbole and all the way to outright lying - regularly and consistently - and he even brags about lying. Name calling is regular. Seeking vengeance is something he takes pride in and has said as much. Affirming dictators and strongmen leaders and disparaging our allies is a matter of public record. The abysmal performance with Putin is a matter of public record. The list goes on and on.

Sorry, OBP - but I think you're comparing apples and oranges.
                  Have you looked at the lists of Trump's "lies"? Methinks thou dost protest too much.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Have you looked at the lists of Trump's "lies"? Methinks thou dost protest too much.
                    Yes - I have. I have also listened to him say them himself. Sorry, OBP - this man not only cannot seem to get through any speech without an outright lie - not only repeats the same lie time after time (or I would not be able to even think about calling them lies) but he has bragged about lying and his book (Art of the Deal) describes lying as perfectly acceptable. He's even passed down his philosophy to his children (see Ivanka's book) and his staff, who regularly take stage to repeat or defend his lies.

Politicians lie - yes. However, I have NEVER seen a politician do so as regularly, and with such disregard for the truth, as this man - not in my lifetime. And what makes it amazing is that he does so even when he doesn't need to - and even when the facts can be easily checked and refuted. "Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth" is his mantra. It's not a mantra - its a marketing strategy - and it is inappropriate in our chief executive. His complete disregard for the truth is seriously eroding social and political norms nationwide.

Comment

but he has bragged about lying and his book (Art of the Deal) describes lying as perfectly acceptable. He's even passed down his philosophy to his children (see Ivanka's book)
                      I haven't read them. Can you quote the excerpts?

Comment

Probably good idea to remind you that carp thinks hyperbolic statements are "lies".

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32898[/ATTACH]

You sound angry JimL. If you won so greatly, why are you so upset?
                          That's because as usual you misperceive, I'm ecstatic over the election in which republicans, despite having every possible structural advantage got trounced like never before.

==

Um how is the system rigged in favor of the republicans, JimL?
                          Duh! Try not to show your ignorance Sparko.

You do realize how state elections work don't you JimL? Votes in one state don't count in another.
                          Of course, just pointing out the overall makeup of the country compared to the representation. Millions more democrats and yet the republicans hold all 3 branches of Government. That's about to end, well it did end, but it is only going to get worse for republicans. Their corrupt riegn is over.

Comment

That's because as usual you misperceive, I'm ecstatic over the election in which republicans, despite having every possible structural advantage got trounced like never before.

==

Of course, just pointing out the overall makeup of the country compared to the representation. Millions more democrats and yet the republicans hold all 3 branches of Government. That's about to end, well it did end, but it is only going to get worse for republicans. Their corrupt riegn is over.
                            You are an excellent barometer for how the left feels, Jim. This tells me that people on the left feel much better about last Tuesday's results now than they did Wednesday morning.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Probably good idea to remind you that carp thinks hyperbolic statements are "lies".
                              What I found interesting from his response was that he didn't even bother to attempt defending the idea that everything on the lists were lies, but chose instead to attack Trump's character (which, granted, is an easy target).
                              sigpic

Comment

Yea, Sparko, proudly put it on full display like JimL does!
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment