Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is Nationalism A Dirty Word...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the time limit on editing our own posts?

I wanted to add that I notice Olson's definition of "nationalism," particularly his distinguishing it from "patriotism," seems idiosyncratic.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      Not long enough.

I wanted to add that I notice Olson's definition of "nationalism," particularly his distinguishing it from "patriotism," seems idiosyncratic.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I agree with Roger Olson that nationalism is incompatible with Christianity.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogere...d-nationalism/

I don't think protectionism is morally justifiable, either. An American is no more entitled to make a living than anybody else in the world.

(It's probably not a surprise that my online chess username is "Mennonite")
        This is nonsense, sure the rest of the world is entitled to make a living, but not off our backs. Putting our citizens out of work by flooding our markets with cheap goods made by those making slave wages. And illegals have no right to come into this country and take our jobs. I said this in the past, my son had a number of friends who worked construction (mostly commercial roofing) - they made a good living. Not any more, they all were replaced by illegals who would work for less than minimum wage. No they have no moral or legal right to our economy.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I fully agree.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I agree with Roger Olson that nationalism is incompatible with Christianity.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogere...d-nationalism/

I don't think protectionism is morally justifiable, either. An American is no more entitled to make a living than anybody else in the world.

(It's probably not a surprise that my online chess username is "Mennonite")
            sounds to me like he just redefined patriotism and nationalism into his own categories and then picked one as good and one as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              That was between 30-40 years ago when I was a treasurer in the Teamsters. I grew up in a solidly Democrat home and town (Kennedy and FDR were saints). Except for Nixon I did not vote Republican until 1994, much to the horror of my father (I was in the Marine corps when I voted for Nixon, he gave us a pay raise).
              So, 30 or 40 years ago, when unions benefitted you as an emplyee, you were all for them, even served your union administratively if I recall, but now that it no longer benefits you personally, they are evil liberal/pinko commie organizations. Typical republican!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                So, 30 or 40 years ago, when unions benefitted you as an emplyee, you were all for them, even served your union administratively if I recall, but now that it no longer benefits you personally, they are evil liberal/pinko commie organizations. Typical republican!
                Well they can be communist, and have been in the past. But I have no problem with unions for private companies. But I do have a problem with public sector unions, they are bankrupting my state.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

As an arm-chair philosopher, I think nationalism is dangerous, given that it often produces human rights violations. In general, I think most taxonomies that try to define a "best group" and "others," will find their natural inclination is toward bigotry and brutishness. Partially, because it lacks the requisite humility that safe guards human action, and thus, simpletons convinced of their own supremacy will use that as a club to flog others; and partially, because nationalism proposes a morality that isn't rooted in reason, but is instead relativistic.

As a Christian, I think nationalism leads to apostasy. The New Testament gives us room for one true allegiance. To me, the nonsense surrounding the veneration of the flag and nationalistic patriotism bears unfortunate parallels to the Imperial Cult in the Roman Empire. No thank you.

Finally, as a human who appreciates the wideness and wildness of human culture and God's creation, I would find living in a highly nationalistic culture, one where conformity to the group mean is enforced by society or the state, to be stultifyingly oppressive to human experience and creativity.

These are not in the order of importance.

fwiw,
                  guacamole
                  "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                  Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Well they can be communist, and have been in the past.
                    You were a communist in the past?

But I have no problem with unions for private companies. But I do have a problem with public sector unions, they are bankrupting my state.
                    So you think it's okay for you to collectively bargain for fair wages, but not teachers?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      You were a communist in the past?
                      I said they can be Jim, not that they all were.

So you think it's okay for you to collectively bargain for fair wages, but not teachers?
                      You got it. BTW FDR had the same view for public sector workers. When public sector workers bargain, who is their adversary? Yes, us the tax payers.

Comment

When public sector workers bargain, who is their adversary? Yes, us the tax payers.
                        Or management. Or politicians.
                        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                          Or management. Or politicians.
                          No, because we are paying the pills, the money comes out of our pockets... We are paying for the management and politicians too...

Comment

No, because we are paying the pills, the money comes out of our pockets... We are paying for the management and politicians too...
                            Unfortunately, the taxpayer gets stuck between the rage of labor and the dishonesty of management and politicians. There's more at stake than mere dollars in collective bargaining--like standards of care, students per class, mandatory overtime vs. time-off, etc. I get that people are concerned about their pocket books, but there are a few more complexities to the issue.
                            Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                              Unfortunately, the taxpayer gets stuck between the rage of labor and the dishonesty of management and politicians. There's more at stake than mere dollars in collective bargaining--like standards of care, students per class, mandatory overtime vs. time-off, etc. I get that people are concerned about their pocket books, but there are a few more complexities to the issue.
                              Except in the end it all falls on us. Like I said, public sector workers are bankrupting my state. Even after the two largest tax hikes in our history.

Comment