Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    As badly as I feel for the family of the victim, I also feel sympathy for the shooter. It clearly wasn't premeditated murder, it was a stupid split second decision motivated by fear and confusion. If she were an open carrying civilian, she'd probably get Manslaughter. Ruined her own life, and as an officer she's unlikely to fair well in prison regardless of how long her sentence is. What a shame for everyone involved. I'm glad it wasn't up to me to decide her fate.
    That, sir, is a BIG 10-4.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      As badly as I feel for the family of the victim, I also feel sympathy for the shooter. It clearly wasn't premeditated murder, it was a stupid split second decision motivated by fear and confusion. If she were an open carrying civilian, she'd probably get Manslaughter. Ruined her own life, and as an officer she's unlikely to fair well in prison regardless of how long her sentence is. What a shame for everyone involved. I'm glad it wasn't up to me to decide her fate.
      I agree with this, however strongly I've worded things. I don't think we can look past that she was criminally negligent and simply make it out as 'understandable' accident, and that's what I was worried would happen. I don't think it was premeditated murder, but she killed an innocent man, without just cause. The law, which she was meant to uphold, should be on Botham Shem's side in this.

With this verdict, some balance this injustice has caused will be restored. It can't bring back Botham Shem, and now she's a convicted murderer. As angry as I've been at her, I'm also sad for her and the life she's ruined over - as you put it Adrift - 'a stupid split-second decision motivated by fear and confusion'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        I agree with this, however strongly I've worded things. I don't think we can look past that she was criminally negligent and simply make it out as 'understandable' accident, and that's what I was worried would happen. I don't think it was premeditated murder, but she killed an innocent man, without just cause. The law, which she was meant to uphold, should be on Botham Shem's side in this.

With this verdict, some balance this injustice has caused will be restored. It can't bring back Botham Shem, and now she's a convicted murderer. As angry as I've been at her, I'm also sad for her and the life she's ruined over - as you put it Adrift - 'a stupid split-second decision motivated by fear and confusion'.
        I believe in justice, but I also believe in mercy especially for those who've done something awful on accident. And I believe it was an accident. Whether one thinks it understandable or not is up to the individual I suppose.

Comment

- 'a stupid split-second decision motivated by fear and confusion'.
          I believe, in the coming days, you may find out it was a little more than that. Sure, I still feel really bad for her, but...
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Get out of jail free cards for cops? No thanks.

If Botham Shem getting the verdict makes a person question whether they wanna be a cop, I don't want them as a cop.
            So you prefer no cops at all?

And now murder is the only just verdict?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              That would include folks like you. When you are relentlessly critical you (collectively) run off the very qualified candidates you purport to want.

This verdict will only amplify the problem for Dallas. No one sane will want to work for them - so that leaves the desperate and nuts.
              It worked in the Police Academy movies

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Again, I have to wonder about her training. There were so many aspects of her conduct that scream "improper training".
                Agreed - and insane overtime (assuming a pattern which seems likely) exacerbates poor training. The department, according to your earlier post, took no responsibility and may have thrown her under the bus.

Which isn't an employer I'd want as a clerk, let alone a cop.

Improperly trained, overworked, and convicted of murder instead of manslaughter? Yeah, not one for the recruitment posters...
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  It worked in the Police Academy movies

Then again, I don't see what else Dallas is likely to get now...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Then again, I don't see what else Dallas is likely to get now...
                    I know that, in some quarters, there is talk of the Texas Rangers* taking over an administrative role with the Dallas Police Chief to totally revamp training, recruitment, etc...

*the law enforcement agency, not the baseball team

Comment

I know that, in some quarters, there is talk of the Texas Rangers* taking over an administrative role with the Dallas Police Chief to totally revamp training, recruitment, etc...

The baseball team might be an improvement over what they have now...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That would include folks like you. When you are relentlessly critical you (collectively) run off the very qualified candidates you purport to want.

This verdict will only amplify the problem for Dallas. No one sane will want to work for them - so that leaves the desperate and nuts.

Comment

Chuck Norris is coming outta retirement?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• With what? Who would trust the city to work for them?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The baseball team might be an improvement over what they have now...
                              Unfortunately, I think this is going to turn into a racial thing where "We WON... now ANY white officer who shoots an unarmed black or brown man gets MURDER!"

When a Deputy Sheriff friend of mine was tried for striking an inmate who had been taunting him, he was convicted (he did, indeed, strike an inmate) but given the maximum possible sentence because, as the Judge stated "we need to send a clear message that we don't allow this kind of thing in this County".

Justice is NOT about "sending a message".

(This was while all the Ferguson thing was going on, and Quanell X was attending the trial every day and threatening to stir things up)

Comment

• I'm not all that surprised by the guilty verdict, but I am very surprised by them choosing murder rather than manslaughter.

Comment