Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

DeSantis Uses Racist Dog Whistle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    "It's a conspiracy, I tells ya! "

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30428[/ATTACH]
    You can play your games all you want mm, it doesn't change a thing. Why do you think many derogatory pictures of Obama show him as ... a monkey. One night in a restruant in Baltimore a very racist waiter from Argentina was telling us all about how bad it gets when "the monkeys" all come in, nodding to a black couple a few rows down. I never ate there again. Ive lived a lot of my life in the south. The racism in the Florida panhandle and places like mims is rampant and this term is the current way to wink wink nod.nod signal your racist collegues.

You could grow up and learn something here, but you won't.

If DeSantis didn't know what he was doing when he said that, then hed better get it figured out and fast.

But I doubt he's ignorant of what he did knowing what I know about this sort of thing.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

"It's a conspiracy, I tells ya! "

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30428[/ATTACH]
      Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      You can play your games all you want mm, it doesn't change a thing. Why do you think many derogatory pictures of Obama show him as ... a monkey. One night in a restruant in Baltimore a very racist waiter from Argentina was telling us all about how bad it gets when "the monkeys" all come in, nodding to a black couple a few rows down. I never ate there again. Ive lived a lot of my life in the south. The racism in the Florida panhandle and places like mims is rampant and this term is the current way to wink wink nod.nod signal your racist collegues.

You could grow up and learn something here, but you won't.

If DeSantis didn't know what he was doing when he said that, then hed better get it figured out and fast.

But I doubt he's ignorant of what he did knowing what I know about this sort of thing.

Jim
      Oh wait, this just in: DeSantis moderated a blatantly racist Facebook page.

While that might not prove he is racist, it means the speculation he did not know what the phrase meant is bull cocky.

Which in turn means the man's a racist, plain and simple.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Oh wait, this just in: DeSantis moderated a blatantly racist Facebook page.

While that might not prove he is racist, it means the speculation he did not know what the phrase meant is bull cocky.

Which in turn means the man's a racist, plain and simple.

Jim
        Do you have documentation for that (Facebook page), or is it just bullsh... I mean, "fake news."
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

You can play your games all you want mm, it doesn't change a thing. Why do you think many derogatory pictures of Obama show him as ... a monkey.
          Umm...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Nonsense, it is a perfectly race neutral term.
            Then cite a case where it was used where race was not involved. In fact, I defy you or anyone else defending DeSantis to cite any usage of it other than the DeSantis one.
            Last edited by Roy; 08-30-2018, 02:52 AM.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Then cite a case where it was used where race was not involved. In fact, I defy you or anyone else defending DeSantis to cite any usage of it other than the DeSantis one.
              I have heard the expression "Don't monkey around" literally hundreds of times, maybe thousands. Around here, it only means, "Don't act like an idiot."

Dozens of times, on observing some feckless boob fumbling at a task, my dad would say, "He's goin' at it like a monkey screwin' a football."
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

And yeah, only someone who slept through the Bush43 years would think monkey-memes were automatically racist.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Now this is interesting, Gillum says we need to bring back the institution of slavery in order for his "Medicare for all" plan to work:

"...we would have to do it as a confederation of states. We could not do it by ourselves solely here in the state of Florida."
                  https://www.breitbart.com/video/2018...ion-of-states/

A "confederation of states", huh? And we all know what the Confederate States of America believed in, don't we? "Confederation of states" is just a code word for chatel slavery.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but this is the same kind of logic that liberals are using to claim that DeSantis' use of "monkey" is a racist code word.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                    I have heard the expression "Don't monkey around" literally hundreds of times, maybe thousands. Around here, it only means, "Don't act like an idiot."
                    So have I. But I have never heard the phrase "monkey it/this up" prior to seeing this thread. Nor apparently has Google.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                      Then cite a case where ["monkey"] was used where race was not involved. In fact, I defy you or anyone else defending DeSantis to cite any usage of it other than the DeSantis one.
                      Really? You've never heard the phrase "monkeying around"? Or "more fun than a barrel of monkeys"? What about "This job is so easy, even a trained monkey could do it"? "Clever as a cartload of monkeys"? "Monkey suit"? How about ?

None of these phrases have a racist connotation. At all.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Then cite a case where it ["monkey this up"] was used where race was not involved. In fact, I defy you or anyone else defending DeSantis to cite any usage of it other than the DeSantis one.
                        Really? You've never heard the phrase "monkeying around"? Or "more fun than a barrel of monkeys"? What about "This job is so easy, even a trained monkey could do it"? "Clever as a cartload of monkeys"? "Monkey suit"? How about ?

None of these phrases have a racist connotation. At all.
                        None of the those phrases are the one used by DeSantis, which was "monkey this up", not just "monkey".

Phrases such as "brass monkey", "powder monkey" and "monkey wrench" not having racist connotations doesn't whitewash the racist connotations of other phrases such as "porch monkey" and "banana-eating jungle monkey".

Again, I defy you or anyone else defending DeSantis to cite any usage of "monkey this up" other than the DeSantis one.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Umm...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30429[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30430[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30431[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30432[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30433[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30434[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30435[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30436[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30437[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30438[/ATTACH]
                          You are clueless on this rogue. Depicting George Bush as a Monkey carries NO racist overtones. Bush is white. They are derogatory - yes. Racist no!

It's as if you skipped US history from the end of the Civil war to the present. Are you really that ignorant of how the Black people in this country have been maligned and oppressed over the last 100+ years? It boggles the mind. Shall we start with Jim Crow, or the carpet baggers, or the rise of the Ku Klux Klan, or "separate but equal". Shall we go over lynchings and stereo typing? And last but not least, do you need a list of perfect normal words that have been co-opted to mean racist and derogatory things when directed and people of African descent in this country?

And do you think for one minute a black person doesn't feel it in the gut when a white person uses those terms in public? Especially a white leader, a man going for guvna in a Southern state? (yes, I know Florida is mostly transplanted northerners in Central and Sourthern Fl, but I'll never forget the night I went to a movie in Mims and it was mostly full and a Black couple came in late and virtually the entire theatre mocked them as they could not find a seat with a great big sarcastic 'sigh' as the turned and left. My wife and I just simply couldn't believe what we just saw and heard.)

I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of kindergartners about why its not nice to make fun of the little kid that has a lisp.

For pity sake, you are an intelligent educated man. Why are you so clueless on this?

Jim

Comment

If you had followed the conversation, you would have seen that DeSantis was referring to political ideologies and not any particular person. To try and connect his use of the word "monkey" to the deliberately derogatory "porch monkey" is as big a stretch as claiming that our country wasn't divided during the Civil War because the Union loyalists who stayed in Washington instead of fleeing south tended to agree on political issues.
                            I have read the context. I stand by my observation. To use the term "monkey" in reference to something related to a black man (in this case, his political ideology) is to open yourself to exactly the kind of criticism he is receiving. It is as politically stupid as "deplorables" was. The man is either racist (which I tend to doubt - there is nothing in his history that I have found to suggest this) or he was incredibly sloppy and politically stupid.

As for the latter, I have no idea where THAT argument came from. It certainly doesn't even begin to resemble what I said in the other thread.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Now this is interesting, Gillum says we need to bring back the institution of slavery in order for his "Medicare for all" plan to work:

"...we would have to do it as a confederation of states. We could not do it by ourselves solely here in the state of Florida."
                              https://www.breitbart.com/video/2018...ion-of-states/

A "confederation of states", huh? And we all know what the Confederate States of America believed in, don't we? "Confederation of states" is just a code word for chatel slavery.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but this is the same kind of logic that liberals are using to claim that DeSantis' use of "monkey" is a racist code word.
                              You too are clueless MM.

You do realize that it's people being clueless about this like you and others are being are that enables and continues to foster the racial divide in the county - right? So why don't you go ask your black friends what they thought when they heard this phrase, how they took it. And why they took it the way they did.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                                So Democrats think of blacks as monkeys.

This is nothing new.
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment