Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Polls and Probabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    And I see a lot of opinion and conjecture, but not much else.
    About the only "conjecture" in all of my posts is that polarization is a danger to our democracy. The rest is based on hard facts.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    The parties are not in lock step agreement anyway, so I find your fear mongering unjustified anyway.
    The congressional voting record does not support that point of view. I've slowly been chipping away at state legislature voting, and they also appear to be polarizing, though not quite as badly.

Now THAT is pretty significant "conjecture." I can think of a lot of possibilities, and that one is nowhere near the worst. Which one will manifest is anyone's guess at this point. But I am fairly comfortable holding the position that a "house divided against itself cannot stand." We are increasingly such a house.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      About the only "conjecture" in all of my posts is that polarization is a danger to our democracy. The rest is based on hard facts.
      The congressional voting record does not support that point of view. I've slowly been chipping away at state legislature voting, and they also appear to be polarizing, though not quite as badly.
      Now THAT is pretty significant "conjecture." I can think of a lot of possibilities, and that one is nowhere near the worst. Which one will manifest is anyone's guess at this point. But I am fairly comfortable holding the position that a "house divided against itself cannot stand." We are increasingly such a house.
      And I choose history to go off from. Some chaos always happens when a new party system comes into town. The worse being the civil war, but we are no where close to shooting at each other. The fall of the 6th party system and the rise of the 7th is the most likely outcome.
      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 08-31-2018, 10:46 AM.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• At this point, I declare the horse officially dead. Repeating myself will not serve any purpose. I'll leave the last word to you.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          At this point, I declare the horse officially dead. Repeating myself will not serve any purpose. I'll leave the last word to you.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• I think it'd be spectacular if the Democrat and Republican parties were to both splinter; by all means end the two party system. I've grown increasingly convinced that Ranked Choice Voting would be a good solution, but I'm not sure how we could actually get it implemented when you have to convince the main political parties to adopt a system that would probably cost them power (Maine had to basically override their legislature via referendum to get it put into place). But Maine adopted it--to a certain extent, at least--and maybe that'll gradually make the rest of the states adopt it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              I think it'd be spectacular if the Democrat and Republican parties were to both splinter; by all means end the two party system. I've grown increasingly convinced that Ranked Choice Voting would be a good solution, but I'm not sure how we could actually get it implemented when you have to convince the main political parties to adopt a system that would probably cost them power (Maine had to basically override their legislature via referendum to get it put into place). But Maine adopted it--to a certain extent, at least--and maybe that'll gradually make the rest of the states adopt it.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment