Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Effect of Tariffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I am. You got a problem with that?
    I didn't know you were a Teamster
    How many Teamsters does it take to change a light bulb?

46. You gotta problem with that?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I didn't know you were a Teamster
      Oddly enough, back when I was the PoPo, some of the guys were trying to organize a union for the PD, and the union would have been, in fact, the Teamsters!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I said it did involve tariffs. Avoiding 60% tariffs from Thailand -- which have already been in place for years.

But Harley-Davidson was already planning this move. The plant they are building is nearly complete and set to start manufacturing at the end of the year. That being the case, this isn't about Trump's threatened trade war.
        No, it was sloppy reporting in HOPES that it would be seen as 'proof' that the 'trade war' was a really bad thing for the US. I'm surprised how easily this was swallowed without question.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What's clear is that somebody took note of the fact that HD was making a statement, and did a bunch of reporting without much investigation, and a lot of people got sucked in to believing it was all about tariffs. You're actually smarter than that.
          So the evidence that it is NOT about tariffs is...?
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I said it did involve tariffs. Avoiding 60% tariffs from Thailand -- which have already been in place for years.

But Harley-Davidson was already planning this move. The plant they are building is nearly complete and set to start manufacturing at the end of the year. That being the case, this isn't about Trump's threatened trade war.
            So where is this information to be found? I'm not finding it anywhere...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              So the evidence that it is NOT about tariffs is...?
              Why are you being so uncharacteristically freakin' dense on this?

Source: NYTimes

Like many American companies, Harley-Davidson has increasingly relied on overseas markets for sales and has shifted some production as a result. The company now produces some bikes and parts at facilities in Brazil, Australia, India and Thailand, and has shifted production to India and Thailand specifically to avoid high import tariffs in those countries. The company sold about 40,000 new motorbikes last year in Europe, equivalent to a sixth of its worldwide sales, making the region its most important market after the United States.

© Copyright Original Source

HD has ALREADY been playing the tariff game, and had ALREADY been laying off workers because, according to their own claim, their production in the US was outpacing demand. This is just more of the same.

From MAY of 2017.... https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/b...facturing.html

You "can't find" the evidence because you absolutely don't want to see it!
              Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-28-2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

From January this year...

Comment

Even the lefties at Snopes agree this is hooey....

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ha...steel-tariffs/

Did Harley-Davidson Close a Wisconsin Factory to Move Production to Thailand Due to New Steel Tariffs?
                  The iconic motorcycle manufacturing company announced they were opening a factory in Thailand nearly a year before President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on steel imports.

WHAT'S TRUE

Harley-Davidson has announced the closure of at least one of their U.S. factories and also announced that they would be opening a manufacturing plant in Thailand.

WHAT'S FALSE

These decisions were both made before President Trump imposed tariffs on imported steel, and Harley-Davidson did not shut down their Wisconsin plant nor stop building motorcycles in the United States.

Comment

From May 23....

Steelworkers, machinists upset with Harley-Davidson about plans for Thailand plant

This was, of course, BEFORE Trump announced the new tariffs.

Comment

Why are you being so uncharacteristically freakin' dense on this?
                      He's not. He's being his usual self.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        He's not. He's being his usual self.
                        I don't know... I think he's being exceptionally resistant on this one.

Comment

From May 23....

Steelworkers, machinists upset with Harley-Davidson about plans for Thailand plant

This was, of course, BEFORE Trump announced the new tariffs.
                          Thanks for this post, and the two that went before it. This is the first time someone actually gave me some resources to turn to so as to make the case. And I consider the case made. It appears this is a left-version of some of the early claims about companies like Trane and the car manufacturers. The movement of HD to Thailand apparently is unrelated to the tariffs.

My original post and opinion was in error. Thanks for helping me correct it.

Comment

I don't know... I think he's being exceptionally resistant on this one.
                            I should read the entire thread before posting....

But my previous response stands. My position original was in error.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              Thanks for this post, and the two that went before it. This is the first time someone actually gave me some resources to turn to so as to make the case. And I consider the case made. It appears this is a left-version of some of the early claims about companies like Trane and the car manufacturers. The movement of HD to Thailand apparently is unrelated to the tariffs.

My original post and opinion was in error. Thanks for helping me correct it.

But the move to Thailand was ADDITIONALLY affected by tariffs, as Rogue pointed out - just not the current one. Thailand was imposing a 60% tariff on incoming motorcycles, so HD began the move to build them there to avoid Thailand's tariff.

Comment

Comment