Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take Back Our Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    He tells us...
    How does this god tell you?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• What her name is can change.

The statement: Michel's wife's name was Theresa at 11:01 AM on 6/28/18" is forever true.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        How does this god tell you?
        Through Scripture, and if you are lucky enough, personally.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I have no idea what that means, God's being and character can not be relative. All that is necessary is that God revel these facts to us, then we know those absolute truths.
          You appear to conflating a reality that does not change, with propositions about reality.

A proposition is always relative. Its truth can only be established by comparing it to the reality it claims to represent.

So your statement "god is" can only be evaluated as true is god actually is. If god is not, then it is false. The proposition is relative to the reality.

Comment

What her name is can change.

The statement: Michel's wife's name was Theresa at 11:01 AM on 6/28/18" is forever true.
            But it still a relative truth, it is true, RELATIVE to that time and place.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Through Scripture, and if you are lucky enough, personally.
              And how do you know scripture is an authoritative source?

And how does this god tell you "personally?"

Comment

A proposition is always relative. Its truth can only be established by comparing it to the reality it claims to represent.
                Again, you said: truth is the relationship between a statement/claim and its accuracy in reflecting reality

Is that statement a proposition? If so then is it relative?

Comment

And how do you know scripture is an authoritative source?
                  Christ came back from the grave to confirm His teachings and the God of the Bible.

And how does this god tell you "personally?"
                  Verbally if He so chooses.

Comment

But it still a relative truth, it is true, RELATIVE to that time and place.
                    And all propositions are relative to the reality they reflect.

You appear to be narrowing "absolute truth" to be limited to propositions that are made about an unchangeable reality. You are free to do that if you wish. I'm not sure why it makes a difference.

Comment

Christ came back from the grave to confirm His teachings and the God of the Bible.
                      How do you know this is true?

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Verbally if He so chooses.
                      So does god appear, do you hear audible voices, or are they voices in your head?

Comment

And all propositions are relative to the reality they reflect.

You appear to be narrowing "absolute truth" to be limited to propositions that are made about an unchangeable reality. You are free to do that if you wish. I'm not sure why it makes a difference.
                        Again, you said: truth is the relationship between a statement/claim and its accuracy in reflecting reality

Is that statement a proposition? If so then is it relative.
                        Last edited by seer; 06-28-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

How do you know this is true?

So does god appear, do you hear audible voices, or are they voices in your head?
                          I am not even going down this road with you, I already feel dirty for going this far.
                          Last edited by seer; 06-28-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Is that statement a proposition? If so then is it relative.
                            Of course it is. Every statement you utter is a proposition, and they are all relative. If you don't think so, then I would ask you to give me an example of a proposition whose truth is not relative to the reality it makes a claim about.

Comment

I am not even going down this road with you, I already feel dirty for going this far.
                              You feel dirty for explaining to someone how you know that your beliefs are true?

That is very odd...

Comment

Of course it is. Every statement you utter is a proposition, and they are all relative. If you don't think so, then I would ask you to give me an example of a proposition whose truth is not relative to the reality it makes a claim about.
                                So your statement: truth is the relationship between a statement/claim and its accuracy in reflecting reality

What is it relative to? And if it is relative, you can't claim any kind of absolute status for the claim. It could be right or wrong - depending.

Comment