Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take Back Our Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Seer, dismissing anyone who disagrees with you as "tainted by sin" is not an argument.
    That's exactly what someone who is tainted by sin would say.

Comment

Seer, dismissing anyone who disagrees with you as "tainted by sin" is not an argument. When you cannot deal with the arguments (as you have failed to do now for hundreds of posts on morality), clinging to the beliefs is simply not justified. At least, that's the way I try to live: believe what I find adequate evidence for, dismiss what I find adequate evidence against, and make no judgment on what I do not have adequate evidence for or against. It is the way I believe we all should live. Seems fairly self-evident to me - but (of course) I won't be able to "prove" it to you.
      Carp, see you are equally dismissing what I believe. I really do believe that your rational abilities are tainted by sin, that is actually my worldview. If they weren't you would naturally see the Creator's hand in creation. You would naturally respond to your Maker. What men see as evidence, good evidence, how much weight they give, etc...is as personal and subjective as anything else. So when you speak of adequate evidence that claim has no validity. It is no more than an opinion, an opinion darkened by sin.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        Carp, see you are equally dismissing what I believe.
        I always dismiss claims that are not adequately supported by evidence, Seer

Originally posted by seer View Post
        I really do believe that your rational abilities are tainted by sin, that is actually my worldview.
        You are entitled to your view. It doesn't make the view correct.

If they weren't you would naturally see the Creator's hand in creation. You would naturally respond to your Maker. What men see as evidence, good evidence, how much weight they give, etc...is as personal and subjective as anything else. So when you speak of adequate evidence that claim has no validity. It is no more than an opinion, an opinion darkened by sin.
        And with that we're kind of back to the original statement I made. It is pointless to discuss with a person who thinks you are not rational. So...good stuff. Interesting exchange.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          That's exactly what someone who is tainted by sin would say.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I always dismiss claims that are not adequately supported by evidence, Seer
            Carp, do you have an objective standard for what constitutes evidence, or are your standards equally as relative as your ethics are?
            Last edited by seer; 06-27-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Carp, do you have an objective standard for what constitutes evidence, or are your standards equally as relative up as your ethics are?
              Christian: How much evidence will it take to convince you that the gospel is true?
              Skeptic: Just a little more than you have.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Christian: How much evidence will it take to convince you that the gospel is true?

Comment

Carp, do you have an objective standard for what constitutes evidence, or are your standards equally as relative as your ethics are?
                  Anything that supports the truth (or untruth) of a given proposition is "evidence," Seer.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    As self-congratulatory as you two may be, the real exchange between a thoughtful non-Christian and Christian should be:

Non-Christian: There is no answer to that question. It's a bit of a silly question.
                    Last edited by carpedm9587; 06-27-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Anything that supports the truth (or untruth) of a given proposition is "evidence," Seer.
                      What is your objective standard for deciding what is a truism or not? Or are those standards equally as relative as your ethics are?

Comment

What is your objective standard for deciding what is a truism or not? Or are those standards equally as relative as your ethics are?
                        A true statement is one that aligns with what is real, Seer. It's not really that complicated. So, if you say, "the car is blue," I can quickly determine if the car is actually blue by simply looking at it. If someone wants more evidence, I can take a light meter and measure the frequency of the reflected light.

Are you going somewhere with this...?

And why on earth would you continue to engage with an irrational person? That is not a particularly rational choice on your part.

Comment

A true statement is one that aligns with what is real, Seer. It's not really that complicated. So, if you say, "the car is blue," I can quickly determine if the car is actually blue by simply looking at it. If someone wants more evidence, I can take a light meter and measure the frequency of the reflected light.
                          So your standard for deciding what is true is relative.

And why on earth would you continue to engage with an irrational person? That is not a particularly rational choice on your part.
                          Well I worked with the mentally handicapped for ten years, it's a hard habit to break.

Comment

except examples, right?

Comment

So your standard for deciding what is true is relative.
                              By definition, truth is the relationship between a statement/claim and its accuracy in reflecting reality. So of course it is relational. How could it be anything else? You have another way of defining what "truth" is an how it is determined?

Well I worked with the mentally handicapped for ten years, it's a hard habit to break.
                              I know what you mean... I used to work extensively with emotionally challenged youth. It's what posting around here sometimes feels like...
                              Last edited by carpedm9587; 06-27-2018, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                except examples, right?
                                You are right, Sparko. The expression "an example is not an argument" is too absolute. It would be more accurate to say "an example is generally a very weak argument." If the claim is "X happens" and you provide an example of X, then the example is an adequate argument for the claim. If the claim is "X happens a lot," or "X is the norm" or "most people experience X," (which is usually what is being claimed), then an example is not adequate evidence to make that claim.

Comment