Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take Back Our Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Then you have sealed yourself into your moral echo chamber and conversation is pointless. I appreciate you letting me know.

If the majority of people in a given society suddenly defined "rape" as moral, then that society can be accurately said to see "rape as moral." So we would say, "in the framework of Society X, rape is perceived as moral." Such societies have existed in the past, and may well exist in the future.
    exactly. And we judge them as "wrong" but that entails some objective idea of what is "right" or "good" - which you say doesn't exist. So in your world view, you can't make such a moral judgment. at best you can say "what they considered moral, I do not" - you can't call them "evil" or "depraved" because those words would imply some objective standard which you claim doesn't exist.

Now I know you still do use those judgments, because deep down you believe in a moral standard of good and evil that you believe everyone should agree on. That there is something "better" we should strive for and that it is not just your opinion. That is why I think you are a flaming hypocrite. Despite all of your protestations to the contrary, you spend most of your time on Tweb trying to "teach" us morality and expecting us to agree that your way is "better"

Technique #1: you left out "objective/absolute" from your statement, but that appears to be what you meant by "actually." There actually IS something immoral/wrong about rape, in my moral framework, as well as the moral frameworks of most humans and most societies. There is nothing "objectively/absolutely" wrong/evil because that concept is meaningless. Just as we cannot say anything about the absolute speed of an object, because the very concept is meaningless; likewise we cannot say anything about the absolute morality of an act because the concept does not exist.
    You are a twit. There is no technique #1 other than as a way for you to dismiss someone else's points without having to address them. You keep claiming morality doesn't exist, that good and evil do not exist, yet you spend all of your time on theologyweb arguing to the contrary.

I don't believe you when you say you are a moral relativist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
      Society has a right to protect itself against [anyone] who disrupts social cohesion.
      You mean like Jews and gypsies?

adolf_hitler_20100527_1185227214.jpg
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        You shouldn't call Carp a fruit - that was just uncalled for!
        Indeed. A nut? Sure. But a fruit?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Indeed. A nut? Sure. But a fruit?
          A fruity nut?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

A fruity nut?
            Add flakes and you have California! (or cereal)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually they aren't. You can objectively know a relative speed, you can never objectively know what is moral or not.
              Of course you can. Give me the moral framework from which we are assessing, and we can assess the morality of any act from the perspective of that moral framework.

Likewise, give me the physical framework of any object and we can assess the relative motion of any other object.

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Moral frame of references are meaningless since there is no objective way to determine if they are right to begin with.
              I think you're mixing language - and I may be guilty of it as well. There is absolutely an objective way to measure it. There is simply no absolute way to measure it.

Case in point: the Christian moral framework, as documented in the decalogue, holds that lying is immoral. Ergo, if someone lies, from the Christian perspective, it is immoral. Likewise, Michel's moral framework holds that it is immoral. So when someone lies, one can objectively state that "from Michel's moral framework, that act was immoral.

Likewise, from Michel's perspective, that car was moving 53 MPH. That does not mean the car was moving at the absolute speed of 53 MPH because there is not such thing as "absolute speed." Likewise, this doe snot mean the person lying was being "absolutely" immoral, because there is no such thing as "absolute" morality.

Originally posted by seer View Post
              If you are in a frame of reference for time, that is an objective frame, though relative, so you can measure an objective speed.
              See my notes above.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                You outta start a fruit stand!
                What makes you think I haven't?
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  exactly. And we judge them as "wrong" but that entails some objective idea of what is "right" or "good" - which you say doesn't exist.
                  We judge them as wrong because our relative moral frameworks tell us it is wrong.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  So in your world view, you can't make such a moral judgment.
                  Yes, I can.

at best you can say "what they considered moral, I do not" - you can't call them "evil" or "depraved" because those words would imply some objective standard which you claim doesn't exist.
                  I can call them "evil" or "depraved" because I always make those assessments from my moral framework - as you make such statements from yours.

Now I know you still do use those judgments, because deep down you believe in a moral standard of good and evil that you believe everyone should agree on.
                  Yes - mine. Just as you think society should align with yours.

That there is something "better" we should strive for and that it is not just your opinion.
                  No - that does not exist.

That is why I think you are a flaming hypocrite. Despite all of your protestations to the contrary, you spend most of your time on Tweb trying to "teach" us morality and expecting us to agree that your way is "better"

You are a twit. There is no technique #1 other than as a way for you to dismiss someone else's points without having to address them. You keep claiming morality doesn't exist, that good and evil do not exist, yet you spend all of your time on theologyweb arguing to the contrary.

I don't believe you when you say you are a moral relativist.
                  The rest of this has no content relative to the discussion.

Comment

You shouldn't call Carp a fruit - that was just uncalled for!
                    I actually am a bit of a fruit (cake). Ask my wife.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Add flakes and you have California! (or cereal)
                      I prefer to be known as a conservative liberal fruity nutty honest disingenuous theistic atheist

Comment

Of course you can. Give me the moral framework from which we are assessing, and we can assess the morality of any act from the perspective of that moral framework.

Likewise, give me the physical framework of any object and we can assess the relative motion of any other object.
                        Yes but that physical framework is objective, the resulting speed in that framework is also objective. Your moral framework is never objective (it can never be quantified or measured) therefore your assessments (what fits or not) has no ground - no objective ground to jump off from, like in the case of speed...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yes but that physical framework is objective, the resulting speed in that framework is also objective. Your moral framework is never objective (it can never be quantified or measured) therefore your assessments (what fits or not) has no ground - no objective ground to jump off from, like in the case of speed...
                          Seer - a framework cannot be "measured," even in physics. It is a point of reference. The framework is not "stationary." It has no "absolute speed" or "absolute position." It is a reference point selected because of it's utility. We use, for example, the surface of the planet when discussing the speed on objects on this planet. It makes sense and is useful. It is objectively real. It exists. But it is not "measurable," in the sense you mean it. Once we have chosen it, its relationship to other things can be quantified.

Likewise, the point of view of a moral agent is a reference point. It cannot be "measured." It can simply be identified as the reference point, and (once identified), then assessments can be made of other moral frameworks in relation to this one. It is as objectively real as the surface of the planet. It is as changeable as the surface of the planet. It is as relative as the surface of the planet.

I truly think you do not understand the nature of relativity.

Comment

Seer - a framework cannot be "measured," even in physics. It is a point of reference. The framework is not "stationary." It has no "absolute speed" or "absolute position." It is a reference point selected because of it's utility. We use, for example, the surface of the planet when discussing the speed on objects on this planet. It makes sense and is useful. It is objectively real. It exists. But it is not "measurable," in the sense you mean it. Once we have chosen it, its relationship to other things can be quantified.

Likewise, the point of view of a moral agent is a reference point. It cannot be "measured." It can simply be identified as the reference point, and (once identified), then assessments can be made of other moral frameworks in relation to this one. It is as objectively real as the surface of the planet. It is as changeable as the surface of the planet. It is as relative as the surface of the planet.

I truly think you do not understand the nature of relativity.
                            No Carp, a physical framework is objective. It does not depend on the subjective - for instance your example:

Likewise, from Michel's perspective, that car was moving 53 MPH. That does not mean the car was moving at the absolute speed of 53 MPH because there is not such thing as "absolute speed."

Any person in Mike position would see the car moving at 53 mph. That position (framework) and the speed are objective - they do not depend on subjective reasoning.

Comment

No Carp, a physical framework is objective. It does not depend on the subjective - for instance your example:

Likewise, from Michel's perspective, that car was moving 53 MPH. That does not mean the car was moving at the absolute speed of 53 MPH because there is not such thing as "absolute speed."

Any person in Mike position would see the car moving at 53 mph. That position (framework) and the speed are objective - they do not depend on subjective reasoning.
                              Again - you apparently do not understand relativity.

Any person in the same position as Michel (and with zero motion relative to Michel) will assess the speed of the car at 53 MPH. The car is objectively real. Its motion is objectively real. The position of Michel is objectively real. So the measurement will be identical in any identical circumstance.

Likewise, any person with the same morel framework as Michel (and with zero change in that framework relative to Michel) will assess the morality of Agent X performing Action Y as immoral (or moral). Agent X is objectively real. Action Y is objectively real. The moral framework of Michel is objectively real. So the measurement will be identical in any identical circumstance.

The situations are completely analogous. The car can change it's speed, and Agent X can change their action. The person observing can change their position/speed (which will change the relative speed of the car; and Michel can change his moral framework, which will change the moral assessment.

You're trying to create a difference where there is none, except one is about morality, and the other about physics.

Comment

Any person in the same position as Michel (and with zero motion relative to Michel) will assess the speed of the car at 53 MPH. The car is objectively real. Its motion is objectively real. The position of Michel is objectively real. So the measurement will be identical in any identical circumstance.
                                OK

Likewise, any person with the same morel framework as Michel (and with zero change in that framework relative to Michel) will assess the morality of Agent X performing Action Y as immoral (or moral). Agent X is objectively real. Action Y is objectively real. The moral framework of Michel is objectively real. So the measurement will be identical in any identical circumstance.
                                What? No way, Michel's moral framework is still subjective to him!

Comment