Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Planned Parenthood Perverting Our Kids!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Why? As I have linked in the past forced sex is very common among higher primates, and in the history of man - merely a biological, physical function...
    Really, Seer? We're going to do this again?

You have me confused with someone who thinks morality is dictated by "what other animals do."
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      [ gibbs ]
      Ya THINK, DiNozzo?
      [ /gibbs ]

Darn! I just keep abusing the cow!
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

If sex is biological, physical function so rape...
        Interesting. So if we generalize this...

...if pulling a trigger is just a physical function, then pulling a trigger of a gun aimed at a 3 year old...

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Yes. That kind of statement by Tassy just proves how ignorant atheists are about scripture and the character of God.
          Tassman is ignorant and Tassman is an atheist therefore all atheists are ignorant?
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think they commonly take an extremist view of a small minority as representative of the whole...
            Which is exactly what mossy just did.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Tassman is ignorant and Tassman is an atheist therefore all atheists are ignorant?
              Thanks for admitting Tassy is ignorant!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Which is exactly what mossy just did.

Let's just say that I'm going by the majority of atheists on this board. Which is more than I can say for the atheists on this board who DO lump all believers on this board with an extreme fringe.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Let's just say that I'm going by the majority of atheists on this board. Which is more than I can say for the atheists on this board who DO lump all believers on this board with an extreme fringe.
                  ALL of the atheists on this board...?

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    Really, Seer? We're going to do this again?

You have me confused with someone who thinks morality is dictated by "what other animals do."
                    Yes really, we are going to do this again. After all you brought up the biological, physical function thing as if biological or physical functions can not have moral connotations.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yes really, we are going to do this again. After all you brought up the biological, physical function thing as if biological or physical functions can not have moral connotations.
                      Actually, what I said was that biological and physical functions are just that: biological and physical functions. The morality does not arise from the function - it arises from the context. "Having sex" is a morally neutral act. It's just biology. A part of one body enters a part of another body. What gives it a moral component is the context in which it occurs. How else would you explain that the exact same act can be deemed "moral" when done with one person in one context and "immoral" when done with another person in another context? If the morality lay in the biology, then it would be moral or it would be immoral, no?

Comment

ALL of the atheists on this board...?

I already said the majority in the same post.

Comment

Actually, what I said was that biological and physical functions are just that: biological and physical functions. The morality does not arise from the function - it arises from the context. "Having sex" is a morally neutral act. It's just biology. A part of one body enters a part of another body. What gives it a moral component is the context in which it occurs. How else would you explain that the exact same act can be deemed "moral" when done with one person in one context and "immoral" when done with another person in another context? If the morality lay in the biology, then it would be moral or it would be immoral, no?
                          Edited by a ModeratorJust biology? Of course if context is the only thing that defines the morality then the Christian is on solid ground when he claims that sex between men is immoral.

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Edited pending discussion.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by DesertBerean; 04-11-2018, 10:27 AM.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I already said the majority in the same post.
                            True - in the first sentence. The second seemed to go back to an implied "all," hence my question.

Perhaps I was just reading too closely.

Comment

OK, so having sex with a sheep is a morally neutral act? Just biology?
                              So "with a sheep" is not "just an act," it's an act in a context - you specified the partner.

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Of course if context is the only thing that defines the morality then the Christian is on solid ground when he claims that sex between men is immoral.
                              Actually, all you did was specify a different partner. Most people do place a limit on partners, some of which are considered immoral. Your list apparently includes sheep and same-sex partners (I'm amused that it is usually expressed in terms of men, not women. Presumably you know women can be gay too, right?). With respect to partners, my morality only finds a moral component if sex is had with a partner that is forced or coerced in any way (including situations where there is a power discrepancy that impacts the ability to resist/refuse), or with a partner that lacks the capacity to make adult judgments about such matters.

Comment

So "with a sheep" is not "just an act," it's an act in a context - you specified the partner.
                                But you are literally just defining your own terms, sex with a sheep is just an act. What context or not one assigns to it, seems totally arbitrary.

Actually, all you did was specify a different partner. Most people do place a limit on partners, some of which are considered immoral. Your list apparently includes sheep and same-sex partners (I'm amused that it is usually expressed in terms of men, not women. Presumably you know women can be gay too, right?). With respect to partners, my morality only finds a moral component if sex is had with a partner that is forced or coerced in any way (including situations where there is a power discrepancy that impacts the ability to resist/refuse), or with a partner that lacks the capacity to make adult judgments about such matters.
                                Whether rape or not it still is "just an act."

Comment