Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
    I don't understand why you wouldn't just give that answer in the first place. I'm simply trying to tease out what people think from what they post.
    I think most people would just hide their guns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      I agree, demonizing people who disagree with you is a very fun game.
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        You won't get less homicides.
        I obviously disagree. The entire reason I'm for a gun ban is to see less homicides and suicides. I have no other issue with guns or their use. I'm fine with hunting, and I think firing guns is enjoyable. But I think they're incredibly dangerous, and I think they're harming the citizens of this nation.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        You will end up with more because criminals will have guns and law abiding citizens won't.
        I don't agree. I think a total gun ban will make acquiring guns more than a little difficult for both, and that this will result in lower homicides and suicides.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        And anyone who wants to commit suicide will find an alternate way.
        Sure, but as I've gone over repeatedly in the other thread, most suicides are committed in the moment in the home. Guns kill people incredibly quickly, easily, and presumably relatively painlessly. Taking away the number 1 tool used in suicides in this nation should have the effect of lowering successful attempts. If it takes a person more time to think over what they're doing, or if it takes just that one more second for someone to walk into the room and prevent a successful suicide then I think it's worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          Sure it could. Worst case scenario you'd have to amend the constitution. Just like with guns.
          I think this is a good point: Constitutionally, guns couldn't be taken away either.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            You really think that's the path a murderous housewife would take?
            Yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              So you keep saying. But you are wrong.
              Maybe. I don't think I am, and I hope not, but I suppose we'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Maybe. I don't think I am, and I hope not, but I suppose we'll see.
                no I don't think we will. An outright ban on guns is pretty near impossible.

Comment

We were discussing where the guns come from. I get the sense you've simply decided it doesn't matter where they come from.
                  It's not that I don't care - I'm just not convinced there's any hope that any legislation is going to make over 300 million guns just up and disappear.

Okay. Like I said, Chicago is such an important meme-argument for the pro-gun crowd that I didn't think it would matter.
                  OK
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man
                    You really think [acquiring a gun is] the path a murderous housewife would take?
                    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    Yes.
                    Well, of course you do, because that's the only scenario that supports your argument.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      It's not that I don't care - I'm just not convinced there's any hope that any legislation is going to make over 300 million guns just up and disappear.
                      So... Apparently criminals only use guns one time and then destroy them. That way they will eventually run out of guns and we will be free!

Comment

Or anybody, really. Supply and demand and all that.
                        Cutting off the supply will increase the demand. Prices may rise, black markets grow...
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• And in response to President Trump describing Cruz as a "sicko"...

Source: CNN

Diana Rose, a professor of user-led research who studies mental health at King's College London [...] said that calling the shooter a "sicko" is "insulting" and "mean-minded."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/healt...-bn/index.html

© Copyright Original Source

Yes, we mustn't insult mass-murderers.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Well, of course you do, because that's the only scenario that supports your argument.
                            Well, no. It's backed with data provided here, https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fvs03.pdf

Comment

Yes, we mustn't insult mass-murderers.
                              You are so insensitive! Aren't you ashamed?
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Seer
                                This is useful to the discussion because it's worth pointing out that this applies to multiple sides in the discussion. People who suffer--and that's obviously not everyone-- beneath a regime of widespread and open access to firearms also have the same rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That is, the political philosophy that defends you defends them also. They have as much a right to try and ameliorate their situation to defend their rights as you do to yours.

That's what I was getting at with respect to Darth's idea that the absolute loss of gun rights, which I haven't argued, should lead to violence against the state and your fellow citizens. Then by that calculus, if this appeal to the Declaration of Independence is justification, then the people wronged by open access--those dying in the horrific public attacks, those living in fear of criminals, etc., have more justification to resort to violence now right against a state that, at best, wrings its hands and clutches at pearls of "hopes and prayers" and, at worst, ignores the suffering. That is a demonstrable loss of the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

fwiw,
                                guacamole
                                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                                Save me, save me"

Comment