Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    The report goes into some of the gun shops, including those in Indiana, that have been involved.
    the point is that proximity to indiana only explains a small fraction of the gun flow (and there's no reason to think that if indiana was somewhere else the would be unable to obtain more guns).

while on this topic, manufacturing guns is easier than manufacturing drugs, and will become even easier as 3d printing technology improves. IMO gun control, like the labor market, has a hard expiration date set for it.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      According to the Chicago Tribute....

A refresher course on gun ownership in the city, and concealed carry

City residents can own firearms but with several conditions: You must be 21 years old and possess a firearm owner's identification (FOID) card and concealed carry license, both issued by Illinois State Police.

Prior to getting a concealed carry license, residents must complete a 16-hour training course, which includes a gun range test that residents must pass, as well as coursework on gun safety. They are also subject to a background check and must pay a $150 application fee. Applicants may be denied a concealed carry license, or have law enforcement agencies object to their applications, if they have particular criminal convictions.

Those who keep guns in the home must hold only a valid FOID card. Gun owners who carry a firearm outside the home must have an FOID and a concealed carry permit.

So, you can't just cross the state line, buy a gun, and be legal. And, yet ... the murder rate...
      Right, our magical wall to keep out illegal firearms is still under construction.
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        the point is that proximity to indiana only explains a small fraction of the gun flow (and there's no reason to think that if indiana was somewhere else the would be unable to obtain more guns).
        20% is hardly a small fraction. 60% from out of state? Hardly insignificant.
        Save me, save me"

Comment

20% doesn't seem to me a small fraction. Especially when the other 40% also comes from out of state (typically in relatively close states).

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            He didn't read over your point, he correctly noted that you and your source are cherry picking the data, e.g. by including bomb victims from the Paris attacks but not from the Boston marathon event, in order to paint a misleading picture.
            you are correct. I did miss that.
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Oh, I see, so it's Indiana's fault that Chicago's excessively strict gun laws are ineffective.

The point, of course, is that when government enacts prohibitively restrictive gun laws, people will simply acquire their guns illegally. And my guess is, the kids in the "hood" aren't lining up to take their licensing exam, which supports another point, that gun regulation only impacts law abiding citizens.
              Correct, when you can get in a car and take a short drive, the laws are ineffective. That's why I said "In effect, Chicago has no gun laws."
              Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                Here's a link to a report compiled by Chicago's mayor's office. Feel free to peruse:

https://www.cityofchicago.org/conten...er/GTR2017.pdf

Key points of data is that 60% of the traceable sales of firearms took place outside of Illinois. The overwhelming majority of them took place outside of the city.

Chicago being a key meme example of "failed gun laws," I doubt this data will have any impact.

fwiw,
                guacamole
                but we were talking specifically about gangbangers going to indiana to buy them. obv guns are being imported from somewhere, despite the ban. that's actually the point we've been trying to make. Organized crime produces most gun deaths and is the least deterred by gun control. not because gangbangers who can barely afford a transit ticket are going to buy guns out of state but because their leaders have money and access to black market connections.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

but we were talking specifically about gangbangers going to indiana to buy them. obv guns are being imported from somewhere, despite the ban. that's actually the point we've been trying to make. Organized crime produces most gun deaths and is the least deterred by gun control. not because gangbangers who can barely afford a transit ticket are going to buy guns out of state but because their leaders have money and access to black market connections.
                  Do you have any data to support this "organized crime " argument?
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    Here you are,

https://www.cityofchicago.org/conten...er/GTR2017.pdf

"With consistent data trends now going back almost a decade, the majority of illegally used or possessed firearms...
                    They are still illegally used or possessed. Those are criminal actions. Apparently, these people are not overly concerned about gun laws.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They are still illegally used or possessed. Those are criminal actions. Apparently, these people are not overly concerned about gun laws.
                      The point there being that if guns were harder to get across the United States, it might help reduce gun crimes.
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Right, our magical wall to keep out illegal firearms is still under construction.
                        You're missing the point - these people are purchasing these firearms elsewhere, even though it's illegal to have them, in most cases. They are, by definition, criminals not yet caught.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Correct, when you can get in a car and take a short drive, the laws are ineffective. That's why I said "In effect, Chicago has no gun laws."
                          That's just silly - it would be more appropriate to say they have no gun laws that actually work.

Comment

You're missing the point - these people are purchasing these firearms elsewhere, even though it's illegal to have them, in most cases. They are, by definition, criminals not yet caught.
                            You're missing the point--it's silly to toot about Chicago's gun laws as evidence that gun control has been tried and failed. It's hasn't been tried because the laws are too easily skirted.
                            Save me, save me"

Comment

The point there being that if guns were harder to get across the United States, it might help reduce gun crimes.
                              And you can spit in one hand and wish in the other, and see which fills up first.

Comment

That's just silly - it would be more appropriate to say they have no gun laws that actually work.
                                "In effect, Chicago has no gun laws." That's what the "In effect" qualifier tends to mean.
                                Save me, save me"

Comment