Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    And England, and Germany, and Norway. Mass killings can take place anywhere in the world and the criminals will use any means they can. Not just guns.
    The Boston Marathon terrorists caused tremendous destruction without firing a single shot.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Or an even shorter drive within the city to buy one illegally.
      I'm good with levels of difficulty. If in the immediate future of a total gun ban it means that people will have to turn to the black market to get guns...well...it takes work, lots of money, and dealing with shady people. For some people the risk won't be worth the reward, and if it means one school shooter will give up on his dream of mass murdering children because of the hassle, then I'm all for it. In the long term I think that it won't even be an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post

I think it will.
        How has that worked with illegal drugs?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I'm good with levels of difficulty. If in the immediate future of a total gun ban it means that people will have to turn to the black market to get guns...well...it takes work, lots of money, and dealing with shady people. For some people the risk won't be worth the reward, and if it means one school shooter will give up on his dream of mass murdering children because of the hassle, then I'm all for it. In the long term I think that it won't even be an issue.
          OK, but these people who don't have the moral compass to keep them from mass killings -- they have no problem whatsoever "dealing with shady people". It's their world.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            Probably better than it would have if we had decided as a nation to shrug our shoulders and do nothing. Or are you for the legalization of crack, heroin, meth and the like?

Comment

People already use the black market to purchase guns illegally.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                It has worked so well that lawmakers are seriously considering legalizing some drugs to ease the burden on the legal system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  OK, but these people who don't have the moral compass to keep them from mass killings -- they have no problem whatsoever "dealing with shady people". It's their world.
                  I don't think that's true. Most of the mass shooters weren't gangbangers or hoodrats. I've been in really shady situations to buy drugs as a dumb teen...it's not easy...you have to have connections, it's not cheap, and it's scary. That's just to buy weed, or LSD, can't imagine buying a gun.

Comment

People already use the black market to purchase guns illegally.
                    Sure, but as someone up thread pointed out, most homicides are committed with legally bought firearms.

Comment

It's worth noting that some of the deadliest cities in America are the ones with the strictest gun laws.
                      Yeah, I know. That's brought up every time this debate resurfaces. I don't find that very impressive though, since all it takes is a short drive out of the city in order to buy a gun legally.
                      Also the causation may be backwards - they aren't dangerous because they have gun laws, they have gun laws because they're dangerous.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

It has worked so well that lawmakers are seriously considering legalizing some drugs to ease the burden on the legal system.
                        I'm curious, are you for the legalization of heroin, crack, meth, PCP, and the like?

Comment

Probably better than it would have if we had decided as a nation to shrug our shoulders and do nothing. Or are you for the legalization of crack, heroin, meth and the like?
                          Adrift, there is something else happening here - firearms were much easier to get when I was younger, yet we did not see this kind of mass shooting - so what is the real problem? And shouldn't we be addressing that?
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

In the short term maybe, but long term, I don't think so. But I suppose we'll see.

I'd rather face some other generally less lethal method than a gun, personally. Other nation's law abiding citizens seem to do fine without guns, so I don't buy the argument that the sky will fall if we make them illegal in the US.

I think it will.
                            so why don't they just stop making bullets? quickest way to make a gun useless.

Comment

I don't think that's true. Most of the mass shooters weren't gangbangers or hoodrats.
                              Nobody said any such thing.

I've been in really shady situations to buy drugs as a dumb teen...it's not easy...you have to have connections, it's not cheap, and it's scary. That's just to buy weed, or LSD, can't imagine buying a gun.
                              This is a whole different time, Adrift. How many of these shooters have done their research on the internet? You didn't have that.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                so why don't they just stop making bullets? quickest way to make a gun useless.
                                It has been discussed, but most people realize that it's an attempt at a backdoor abolition of the 2nd Amendment.

Comment