Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Intel votes to release FISA memo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The left controls the network news (ABC, CBS, NBC) which usually gets more viewers than cable stations. And that isn't just the nightly news but morning shows like Good Morning America, the Today Show, and CBS This Morning, and gabfest shows that follow them like the View. They also have PBS and NPR. And on cable they have CNN, MSNBC and Bloomberg News among a few others.

It is the same, if not more so, with newspapers and magazines.

For every conservative outlet you list you can list 5 to 10 liberal ones.
    If you can get past the everything-that's-not-right-is-left, ABC-is-Mother-Jones thinking. this isn't too far off. The not-right dominates broadcast television, and broadcast dominates cable, and even on cable, FNC's true advantage is that it has no right wing competition to splinter its viewership.

Talk radio has been dominated by Clear Channel (now IHeartMedia) for decades, though.

There's an argument that reporting, itself, pushes journalists to the left by forcing them to interact sympathetically with sources from a wider range of backgrounds and views.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Somehow, I didn't think you would respond otherwise. I am satisfied that I've vetted these sources adequately, MM. I was under no illusion you would approve.
      So you found yourself a little website that harshly judges conservative sources and treats liberal sources with kid gloves, and you're satisfied with that.

What a shocking development.

Any website that rates Snopes as unbiased is selling you a bill of goods.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Hysterical Democrat congressmen claims that Nunes releasing the memo is like All Capone taking on the IRS.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/...ne-taking-irs/

Liberals just can't seem to make up their minds if this is a "nothing burger" or if it's triggering a "Constitutional crisis".

Either way, watching the cockroaches flee from the light being shined on their corruption is highly entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          FTFY. The fact that you think of these massive corporations and the mega-rich who own them as 'left' just shows your delusions. The leanings of such corporations are typically right-wing on economic issues and liberal on social issues, as well as pro-war and pro-government-corruption.

The fartherest left they ever go is Clintonite 3rd-way centrist neoliberalism (which is equivalent to the major right-wing party here). They regularly make a habit of getting rid of any presenters who turn out to be serious progressives or who are anti-war, and they are usually openly hostile to anyone who's on the actual left (Sanders, Greens, etc).
          Silly Starlight, lib corporations don't want communism, obviously, but that doesn't mean they're not lib!
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• http://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/...yre-going-win/

Rather chilling words when you consider the sort of corruption the FBI is potentially guilty of. Have they forgotten that they are answerable to Congress and the President himself? Statements like this almost make it sound like they think they're a fourth branch of the government that is beholden to no one. That's dangerous territory.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              If you can get past the everything-that's-not-right-is-left, ABC-is-Mother-Jones thinking. this isn't too far off. The not-right dominates broadcast television, and broadcast dominates cable, and even on cable, FNC's true advantage is that it has no right wing competition to splinter its viewership.
              Almost every time these news groups are analyzed they are placed to the left of center to various degrees. For some odd reason many on the left seem to think that even being classed as center-left somehow means that isn't still on the left side of the political spectrum.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• DNC Collusion.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  So you found yourself a little website that harshly judges conservative sources and treats liberal sources with kid gloves, and you're satisfied with that.

What a shocking development.

Any website that rates Snopes as unbiased is selling you a bill of goods.
                  This is where I feel the need to remind you what Carpe actually wrote:

Do you really think, MM, that by inserting a rolling/laughing face you can undermine those who truly look to find how they can sort out media bias? There is not a single site that assesses media bias that I have found that classifies Brietbart as anything other than "far right" and "unreliable' (using one set of language or another). http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post514948
                  If you actually wanted to prove him wrong or strengthen your case, you would find a site that assesses media bias that does not classify Brietbart as "far right" and "unreliable'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                    This is where I feel the need to remind you what Carpe actually wrote:

If you actually wanted to prove him wrong or strengthen your case, you would find a site that assesses media bias that does not classify Brietbart as "far right" and "unreliable'.
                    I don't give a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys how one site or another rates Breitbart or any other news source. I have enough confidence in my own abilities to accurately assess the credibility of sources and don't depend on anybody else to tell me what I should think.

What I find curious is that carpe admitted in another thread that he had a high opinion of CNN until Media Bias Fact Check told him not to. That speaks volumes to me.

Comment

I don't give a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys how one site or another rates Breitbart or any other news source. I have enough confidence in my own abilities to accurately assess the credibility of sources and don't depend on anybody else to tell me what I should think.

What I find curious is that carpe admitted in another thread that he had a high opinion of CNN until Media Bias Fact Check told him not to. That speaks volumes to me.
                      So you cannot provide any source? And you find it completely irrelevant what a more scientific and systematic approach would show about the credibility of a given source? Could it be that you simply don't want to challenge your own view based on facts? You say you don't depend on anybody to tell you what you should think. Your posts rather seem to give the impression you are extremely dependent on very few sources and no matter the facts of the situation you seem to insist they must be right at any price. That does not give the impression that you have the abilities to accurately assess the credibility of sources but rather that you have made up your mind beforehand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                        So you cannot provide any source? And you find it completely irrelevant what a more scientific and systematic approach would show about the credibility of a given source? Could it be that you simply don't want to challenge your own view based on facts? You say you don't depend on anybody to tell you what you should think. Your posts rather seem to give the impression you are extremely dependent on very few sources and no matter the facts of the situation you seem to insist they must be right at any price. That does not give the impression that you have the abilities to accurately assess the credibility of sources but rather that you have made up your mind beforehand.
                        Perhaps I should add that I don't give a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys what you think, either.

Comment

Perhaps I should add that I don't give a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys what you think, either.

Which seems to prove my point rather than weaken it. And where are your arguments, what can you say in favour of your case? Nothing? Personal attacks will not fix it.

Comment

The fact is that he was on a payment plan with the IRS to pay some back taxes which all of a sudden got cancelled without warning or comment almost immediately after his interview and then the IRS placed a lien on his house. This is incredibly rare unless the person involved is reneging on the payments or is constantly falling behind (there is no evidence that either is the case). Apparently his attorney could not get a response from the IRS (again incredibly rare since in reality they are far more interested in collecting back taxes than punishing the person unless they have a reason to do so).

Further, the fact that he publicized it and refused to retract it cost him his job is another strong reason to believe he was telling the truth. Very few folks are willing to get fired from a well paying job over a false claim that will get him in even deeper trouble with the IRS (now he had no source of income to continue any payments to the IRS if they decided to go back to their previous arrangement.
                            I'm not finding independent confirmation of any of this, and none of it surfaced in my research. Can you provide your sources, please?

I also found nothing about him "maintaining his position," which got him fired. I am finding that he was suspended when he made the Facebook post, he retracted it and admitted the previous IRS involvement. The station investigated and found just cause to let him go on the basis of his original post and the impact on his credibility as a journalist.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The left controls the network news (ABC, CBS, NBC) which usually gets more viewers than cable stations. And that isn't just the nightly news but morning shows like Good Morning America, the Today Show, and CBS This Morning, and gabfest shows that follow them like the View. They also have PBS and NPR. And on cable they have CNN, MSNBC and Bloomberg News among a few others.

It is the same, if not more so, with newspapers and magazines.

For every conservative outlet you list you can list 5 to 10 liberal ones.
                              Rogue, Sinclair owns the local media outlets, which includes CBS, ABC, and NBC affiliates. They have their set of "required programming" for news programs, which creates a high-degree of parallelism between outlets, and on the conservative/right side. Your view that NBC/CBS/ABC are universally "liberal" is simply no longer true given this dominance. Add to that the dominance of Fox News on cable, and the emergence of Brietbart and other such online outlets as the "favorites" of most of Trump's base, which represents 30+% of the voting public, it would seem that the right has made incredible in-roads. This meme that media is liberal-dominated, with these shifts, is simply no longer supportable, IMO. As far as I can see, they are essentially at par today - and the viewer has to learn how to sort through the partisan nature of media outlets across the board.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Then a day or so later scoffed at the whole thing and announced before the investigation started that there was nothing to it
                                Somehow, I think further discussion is likely to be pointless. I've looked into the assertions, and found them wanting. You're welcome to hang on to the meme if you wish. I find it wanting, so I won't be adopting it.

Comment