Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Black Lives Matter gets what they want, and it's not what they want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Seems the only buttons being pushed are yours.
    Except, of course, for the fact that you started a thread on the basis of the article...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I cannot speak to that history - I am not familiar enough with it to have an opinion. If the city leadership has adopted an "anti-cop" position, then that is definitely a problem.
      I find that phrasing odd - "adopted an 'anti-cop position'".

I will observe that I have been accused of being "anti-cop," and I am nothing of the sort. I support the local police force monetarily, with some of my time, and see their role as vital and their commitment to that service as a benefit to society. I am accused of being "anti-cop" because I had the temerity to agree that racial bias is present in many police forces across the country, and it needs to be addressed.
      Institutional racism is there, no doubt. But it works both ways. One of my cop friends from a neighboring community would meet me to exchange warrants and paperwork, and we'd have coffee. He was an African-American cop in a mostly black community, and when I would complain that so many blacks tell me "the only reason you arrested me was cause I'm black", he would laugh and say, "yeah, I hear that all the time from whitey".

Racial bias by Joe-on-the-street is not a good thing, but racial bias by an armed police force is downright dangerous. I understand why it exists, and I don't think police are "bad people," but the factors that lead to racial bias need to be countered as a part of a well-managed, well-trained police force.
      And, I'm sure you would agree that it is not the least bit helpful to "fight racism with racism". Marilyn Mosby was "preaching to the choir" when she was making statements about the prosecution of the cops, obviously far more intent with making points with blacks than with presenting a professional attitude and righteous prosecution.

It is possible to love/support someone, and still be critical of some aspects of their behavior or activities. Being critical of one aspect of police forces does not make me "anti-cop." I do noty know if the leadership in Boston is being labeled "anti-cop" for the same reasons I have been, but if they have been - then I disagree they are necessarily anti-cop.
      You didn't watch / don't remember Mosby's very aggressive anti-cop rhetoric? I believe the lawsuit is still proceeding...

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake accused State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby on Wednesday of rushing to charge the six police officers accused in the death of Freddie Gray before completing a thorough investigation.

Rawlings-Blake said Mosby could have told the public she needed more time in the spring of 2015 to conduct a careful and complete investigation, rather than immediately announcing charges that produced no convictions.

"The political pressure is real when you are in big jobs, and you can't bow to the political pressure and charge when you're not ready," she said. "You have to stand up, be in the big role and say to the people ... you need time to continue to investigate."

Baltimore has a very real leadership problem. Much easier to blame the cops. (And, no, I'm not saying you are)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This is a vicious cycle that has been repeated in many urban areas over the last several decades.

They complain about the police making too many arrests and harassing folks who aren't doing anything so the police reduce their activities.

The same people complain that the police don't care about poor, minority areas and allow crime to run rampant so the police increase their activities.

This of course leads back to complaints that the police are harassing and arresting too many people and the cycle continues.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          This is a vicious cycle that has been repeated in many urban areas over the last several decades.

They complain about the police making too many arrests and harassing folks who aren't doing anything so the police reduce their activities.

The same people complain that the police don't care about poor, minority areas and allow crime to run rampant so the police increase their activities.

This of course leads back to complaints that the police are harassing and arresting too many people and the cycle continues.
          Do you see this cycle as inevitable, or do you think there are apporaches that could minimize the extent (amplitude, frequency), or entirely eliminate, the cycle?
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Do you see this cycle as inevitable, or do you think there are apporaches that could minimize the extent (amplitude, frequency), or entirely eliminate, the cycle?
            As long as they let self-anointed "community leaders" lead them around by the nose it is inevitable since those folks tend to loudly complain regardless of what the police do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As long as they let self-anointed "community leaders" lead them around by the nose it is inevitable since those folks tend to loudly complain regardless of what the police do.
              EGGzackly, they need authentic black leadership who care more about the problem than the position.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I agree that if citizens complain no matter what is done, the cycle is inevitable. Somehow, I doubt that is what is going on. My experience is that the complaints come from different citizens at different times.
                1. Some citizens become active and push for a change
                2. They get the change and are happy
                3. Other citizens that didn't want the change get active and push for a change
                4. The change happens and they are happy
                5. Return to #1

THAT is not something I think will change so long as there are multiple groups in the same community, but perhaps the frequency/amplitude of the cycle can be altered by addressing the racial bias issue and changing the interaction dynamic between the force and the community: preserving the presence by changing the dynamics.
                Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-02-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

For a somewhat less inflammatory look at the story, you might want to read: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baltimo...-gray-killing/

The BLM activity/protests are only one of the several items that are being identified as a contributor to the increased homocide rate. There are several other factors as well. This kind of skewed reporting is one of the reasons I do not pro-actively read Brietbart anymore. Their agenda gets in the way of their reporting, IMO.

I would note that they are not the only ones using inflammatory titles these days: https://www.npr.org/2017/12/31/57482...olice-presence

But my experience is that Brietbart's inflammatory titles are almost always skewed to one political agenda. Sites like NPR use inflammatory titles to get eyeballs on both sides of the political spectrum. IMO, the latter is not MUCH better than the former.
                  Er, what? Breitbart gives specific cites, CBS gives vague attributions. The CBS article is inferior - whether or not it's less inflammatory, it does a very poor job on its sources and seems to be merely summarizing the problem. The two articles do not compare well - they are very different in scope. This does not refute Brietbart or its coverage at all.

Nor does the CBS article appear less skewed - the vague attributions make it appear distinctly skewed as if trying to avert attention from the issue of police presence reduction brought about by the political protests.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Er, what? Breitbart gives specific cites, CBS gives vague attributions. The CBS article is inferior - whether or not it's less inflammatory, it does a very poor job on its sources and seems to be merely summarizing the problem. The two articles do not compare well - they are very different in scope. This does not refute Brietbart or its coverage at all.

Nor does the CBS article appear less skewed - the vague attributions make it appear distinctly skewed as if trying to avert attention from the issue of police presence reduction brought about by the political protests.
                    MM has indicated he wants me to not continue this discussion, as it is a tangent from the thread's original purpose, so I'll forego a response (beyond this) in deference to his wishes.
                    Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-02-2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

So, in summary -- You may get what you want, but you may not want what you get.

I did it. Jed.
                      Last edited by Jedidiah; 01-02-2018, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        So, in summary -- You may get what you want, but you may not what what you get.
                        You may not what what?

(I just live for these moments with you )

Comment

You may not what what?

(I just live for these moments with you )
                          yes

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            yes
                            I thought so...

Comment

For a somewhat less inflammatory look at the story, you might want to read: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baltimo...-gray-killing/

The BLM activity/protests are only one of the several items that are being identified as a contributor to the increased homocide rate. There are several other factors as well. This kind of skewed reporting is one of the reasons I do not pro-actively read Brietbart anymore. Their agenda gets in the way of their reporting, IMO.

I would note that they are not the only ones using inflammatory titles these days: https://www.npr.org/2017/12/31/57482...olice-presence

But my experience is that Brietbart's inflammatory titles are almost always skewed to one political agenda. Sites like NPR use inflammatory titles to get eyeballs on both sides of the political spectrum. IMO, the latter is not MUCH better than the former.
                              That story is just as biased as the other. You just don't see it because it affirms your own bias. It fails to mention that the BLM not only in Baltimore but across the country made it clear that anytime a black person was killed, they considered it police abuse and murder, even when the guy was obviously a criminal and was attacking the police. They also didn't mention things like police being murdered on the streets in various cities. Or the fact that the BLM routinely called for cops to leave their neighborhoods.

The truth is that the BLM are a bunch of thugs who don't want police around so they can have free reign. But there are other blacks in these neighborhoods who only want to live in peace and want the police there. They are the ones calling for the police to come back. Some of them might have been caught up in the BLM cause but have come to their senses.

The biggest problem is that if the police do intervene and some other black person gets killed, it will start all over again.

Comment

exactly. The ordinary citizens get riled up by these people and get caught up in the drama, doing whatever the "leaders" want. Then later regret it. The "leaders" only care about being in the public eye and on TV to increase their reputation and power. They will pretty much take any incident and blow it out of proportion to get people angry and protest, so they can take the podium and pontificate.

Comment