Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I no longer consider myself pro-life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Note that LPOT is again using examples of babies being used as weapons as an excuse for butchering babies that aren't.

The context was the execution of defenceless babies, in case they became enemies when they grew up:

Source: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?7885-Why-I-am-an-atheist&p=232523&viewfull=1#post232523

The reason why women and children were also targeted by all nations when fighting another nation is that the women would teach the children to hate their enemies and thus war would erupt again in the near future once those children grew up and also killing the children is more humane than leaving them to starve without any parents.

© Copyright Original Source

LPOT characterised killing an enemy's captive and disarmed women and children, including babies, as 'self defense'. She refused to admit that killing an enemy's kids so that they don't grow up is unacceptable. She won't admit it now, either.
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post233865
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      What the terrorist could do is irrelevant to whether or not a child or infant has intrinsic value and can or cannot be killed with moral justification. No matter how you slice it, to a certain extent we all believe there are circumstances in which is morally justifiable to kill a child.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Yes. I agree, it can't be proven either way. "Luke" is, AFAIK, not a Jewish name, although some Jews also took Gentile names to facilitate interaction with the Gentile world (i.e., "Paul" for "Saul"). Hebrews is anonymous, but given its heavy dependence on the Tanakh, is most likely a Jewish writing IMO.
        Don't forget Nebuchadnezzar wrote Daniel chapter 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Are you just unable to read or stupid? I have always maintained that in times of war, killing kids might be justified where they are being used as weapons of war.
          But you have repeatedly refused to agree that in times of war, killing kids is not justified if they are not being used as weapons of war.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

But you have repeatedly refused to agree that in times of war, killing kids is not justified if they are not being used as weapons of war.
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              She refused to admit that killing an enemy's kids so that they don't grow up is unacceptable. She won't admit it now, either.
              http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post233865
              But you have repeatedly refused to agree that in times of war,.
              As expected, LPOT once again refuses to concede that killing babies is not justified if they are not being used as weapons of war. She once again refuses to concede that killing enemy babies so that they don't grow up is unacceptable.

LPOT is perfectly happy with babies being killed, provided they're babies of enemies.
              Last edited by Roy; 12-21-2017, 10:46 AM.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• The difference, as far as I can see it, is in who holds which opinion. We all thinking killing some children is morally justifiable.
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

As expected, LPOT once again refuses to concede that killing enemy babies so that they don't grow up is unacceptable.
                  wouldn't that still be "self-defense?"

For instance, dropping the bomb on Japan in WW2 killed lots of civilians, innocent women and children, pregnant women, old men, etc. But doing that ended the war, protected the USA and Europe and the Pacific from more horrendous losses and the death of our women, children, and civilians.

Killing civilians in war is something to be avoided but sometimes it can't be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

For instance, dropping the bomb on Japan in WW2 killed lots of civilians, innocent women and children, pregnant women, old men, etc. But doing that ended the war, protected the USA and Europe and the Pacific from more horrendous losses and the death of our women, children, and civilians.

I agree with your last statement, but I find the first problematic. The pro-choice also characterize abortion as "self-defense;" Why shouldn't a woman whose family is going to be devastated by an additional pregnancy, for whatever reason, be allowed to kill a child if the U.S. military is allowed to kill children as self-defense? In both cases, the morality of the killing is justified not by the intrinsic value of human life, but by circumstances.
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

As expected, LPOT once again refuses to concede that killing babies is not justified if they are not being used as weapons of war. She once again refuses to concede that killing enemy babies so that they don't grow up is unacceptable.

LPOT is perfectly happy with babies being killed, provided they're foreign ones.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Killing some-one now in case they try and kill you in 15 years time is not self-defence.
                        Had it been my decision, I think I'd have dropped the bombs near the cities, not on them.
                        Last edited by Roy; 12-21-2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                          I agree with your last statement, but I find the first problematic. The pro-choice also characterize abortion as "self-defense;" Why shouldn't a woman whose family is going to be devastated by an additional pregnancy, for whatever reason, be allowed to kill a child if the U.S. military is allowed to kill children as self-defense? In both cases, the morality of the killing is justified not by the intrinsic value of human life, but by circumstances.
                          typically even in war we don't target women, children or civilians. I think to do it deliberately would be a war crime. They are usually "collateral damage" not the actual target. And in the case of abortion, if it is in self-defense of the woman's life, I think it is justified. But just because it will inconvenience the family? That is not justified. You can't kill someone because they will inconvenience you. The circumstances have to warrant self-defense. Which means protecting another life.

Comment

• The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              Why eat alone?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

typically even in war we don't target women, children or civilians. I think to do it deliberately would be a war crime. They are usually "collateral damage" not the actual target. And in the case of abortion, if it is in self-defense of the woman's life, I think it is justified. But just because it will inconvenience the family? That is not justified. You can't kill someone because they will inconvenience you. The circumstances have to warrant self-defense. Which means protecting another life.
                                There are find points here worth examining:

I'm not sure that the "deliberately targeting" gives us moral cover. If we take an action that directly leads to an innocent person's death, are we in the clear because we didn't mean to do it?

And what do you mean by "inconvenience" to the family or the woman? I suppose that rules out prophylactic abortion, but what about a single mother who works part time and cannot lose the hourly pay, should it come to that. Is that merely an inconvenience?

Is there a general guiding principle that human life is precious, given that God loves us all and that we carry his image? If that is not the best standard for determining moral justification for actions, then what is?

fwiw,
                                guacamole

edited to put in a comma
                                Last edited by guacamole; 12-21-2017, 11:26 AM.
                                Save me, save me"

Comment