Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

'Transracial' man born white feels like he is Filipino...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Whether or not someone is a man or a woman involves sex, not gender.
    I agree but this is not true according to liberals and mainstream psychology (but I repeat myself).

Gender performance has nothing to do with whether or not people think you're a man or a woman. It has to do with whether or not people think you conform to gender roles.
    The gender you belong to has everything to do with whether or not people think you're a man or a woman according to transsexuals.

The existence of a composite proves that sex isn't binary. Binary means two, and a composite is a third status.
    No it isn't, and the composite is an abnormality.

Binary means two but you can have composites of both. Our electronics depend on it (IE: AND/OR gates and their variations).
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      but I thought "male" and "female" were sex, and "man" and "woman" were gender? Can you guys make up your minds?

Please describe the proper terms and conditions regarding the difference in sex and gender.
      Gender is whether or not you conform to behavior society has decided is appropriate for men and women. If you are a man who behaves like how society thinks woman should behave, you have a feminine/female gender.
      Sex is your biological status. It involves your biological characteristics, including and most importantly your brain, but more commonly your genitals and secondary sex characteristics.

PM you totally ignored this part of my previous post:

============

if race doesn't actually exist, then physical characteristics don't actually count as race. So no surgery is necessary.

This woman has all of the physical characteristics of a black person but guess what? She is Caucasian.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24932[/ATTACH]
      Society decides what physical characteristics belong to what race. Whether or not any given individual is white depends upon what society thinks a white person is.

Aren't gender roles sexism?

You don't seem to have a really good grasp on this whole liberal thing PM.
      Yes, they are. People should be able to have whatever gender they want, but the best case scenario is a post-gender society.
      Last edited by Psychic Missile; 11-14-2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Gender is whether or not you conform to behavior society has decided is appropriate for men and women. If you are a man who behaves like how society thinks woman should behave, you have a feminine/female gender.
        Sex is your biological status. It involves your biological characteristics, including and most importantly your brain, but more commonly your genitals and secondary sex characteristics.

Society decides what physical characteristics belong to what race. Whether or not any given individual is white depends upon what society thinks a white person is.

Yes, they are. People should be able to have whatever gender they want, but the best case scenario is a post-gender society.
        so what terms do you use when talking about gender vs sex?

When Jenner calls himself a "woman" is s/he talking gender or sex? does the terms "he" and "she" refer to gender or sex?

If society thinks Jenner is a man in a dress, does that mean he is a man in a dress? Or is he a woman because he says he is?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          I agree but this is not true according to liberals and mainstream psychology (but I repeat myself).
          I don't think I'm atypical when it comes to liberals or scientific/sociological consensus.

The gender you belong to has everything to do with whether or not people think you're a man or a woman according to transsexuals.
          A trans person might behavior according to the gender role of the sex they are transitioning into, but they don't have to. Some trans people have a third/non-binary gender.

No it isn't, and the composite is an abnormality.

Binary means two but you can have composites of both. Our electronics depend on it (IE: AND/OR gates and their variations).
          When I say that sex is not a binary I mean that there are not only two options. Someone who is both male and female is not just male and not just female, they are a third option. Maybe I'm using the term incorrectly but this is what I meant to say.

Comment

so what terms do you use when talking about gender vs sex?

When Jenner calls himself a "woman" is s/he talking gender or sex? does the terms "he" and "she" refer to gender or sex?

If society thinks Jenner is a man in a dress, does that mean he is a man in a dress? Or is he a woman because he says he is?
            I know next to nothing about Caitlyn Jenner, so I'll try to answer your questions outside of that context.

If someone is getting hormone therapy and a sex change, they are talking about their sex. If someone is talking about the clothes they wear or the way they behave, they are talking about gender. Most, but not all, trans people will change both sex and gender. If you are talking about trans people in a general sense, you are talking about sex. When people talk about preferred pronouns, most of the time they are talking about their sex. Society can decide on what sex someone is, just like it can decide on whether or not gravity exists, but the real authority is the science. Society determines what behavior each gender is defined by, but any given individual decides what gender they are.

I hope this answers your questions.

Comment

I know next to nothing about Caitlyn Jenner, so I'll try to answer your questions outside of that context.

If someone is getting hormone therapy and a sex change, they are talking about their sex. If someone is talking about the clothes they wear or the way they behave, they are talking about gender. Most, but not all, trans people will change both sex and gender. If you are talking about trans people in a general sense, you are talking about sex. When people talk about preferred pronouns, most of the time they are talking about their sex. Society can decide on what sex someone is, just like it can decide on whether or not gravity exists, but the real authority is the science. Society determines what behavior each gender is defined by, but any given individual decides what gender they are.

So can a guy change his sex but not his gender?
              How would that work?

Comment

This explains a lot...

Republicans, Democrats have starkly different views on transgender issues

with some college and 57% of those with a high school diploma or less. No such divide exists among Republicans.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...and-democrats/
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  This explains a lot...
                  So only 23% of those in the self-described party of science that have a college education think that a doctor doesn't know what he/she -- ze -- is talking about when they say to the mother of a new born baby that "it's a boy" or "it's a girl."

Then again, given how many think that just moments ago the baby was nothing but a lump of cells and not even a human being, I guess we ought to expect nothing less.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The biological cause of homosexuality and gender identity disorder as well as transitioning as a possible treatment for GID are backed by science.
                    No it isn't. There are theories at best.

If you or anyone else isn't interested in understanding that because of a knee-jerk emotional reaction to people unlike you, nothing can help with that.
                    It has nothing to do with emotions.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So basically according to PM, being male or female is biologically determined through actual genetics, but it is something that you can choose to change on a whim just by declaring it so or having an operation... but race, which he claims is NOT genetically based but merely a social construct can't be changed because of physical characteristics.

Comment

It is not possible with today's medical tech to change sex. All you can do is try to imitate the opposite sex. Mutilating your body does not change your sex.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          It is not possible with today's medical tech to change sex. All you can do is try to imitate the opposite sex. Mutilating your body does not change your sex.
                          Reminds of an episode of South Park (back when I still occasionally watched it) where one of the kid's dads had a Dolphinoplasty to turn himself into a dolphin

Which also had the gay teacher, Mr. Garrison, undergo a sex change surgery and essentially mocked the entire concept

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So why can't a white guy take melanin injections, get a perm and some plastic surgery on his nose and lips and become Transblack? After all Michael Jackson did it in reverse.

Comment

After all Michael Jackson did it in reverse.
                              Right, where else but America can a poor black boy grow up to be a rich white women!
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So can a guy change his sex but not his gender?
                                How would that work?
                                Gender is just how you behave, so if someone gets a sex change but doesn't act any differently (how they speak, how they dress, how they present themselves) then they changed their sex but not their gender.

So basically according to PM, being male or female is biologically determined through actual genetics, but it is something that you can choose to change on a whim just by declaring it so or having an operation... but race, which he claims is NOT genetically based but merely a social construct can't be changed because of physical characteristics.

No. Being male or female is biologically determined through genetics and someone's mind may be a different sex from their body, at which point their mind may take precedence if medical experts determine transitioning an effective treatment. Race is based on what a society thinks, so you cannot change your race without changing what society thinks, which is impossible for one person to do alone.

So why can't a white guy take melanin injections, get a perm and some plastic surgery on his nose and lips and become Transblack? After all Michael Jackson did it in reverse.
                                Did society consider MJ white or black?

Comment