Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Professor under fire for telling students they have to work hard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Looks rather familiar. For tests, we were expected to extract useful information from a word problem, derive and solve the equations necessary to get an answer, all without notes or a calculator. We had a 50-minute class period to solve about 5 of these. Fun times.
    OK sounds easy.

so that's 5 equations in 50 minutes....

5. 50. so that is um 550 minutes divided by 5 equations. So if the equation was moving at 50 MPH and another equation was going in the opposite direction at 50 MPH, so that equates to be 0! And Zero is how much bacon rogue has left after the last raid. So the answer is BACON!

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      My collegiate education in English was not quite as vigorous--for tests, we had to read drafts of poems and explain why the writer made certain choices.
      I always hated those kinds of tests. Short of the author telling you himself, there is no way to know what was in his head when he wrote something.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I always hated those kinds of tests. Short of the author telling you himself, there is no way to know what was in his head when he wrote something.
        Of course, the instructor doesn't know either. So whoever comes up with the most convincing BS gets the highest grade.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Of course, the instructor doesn't know either. So whoever comes up with the most convincing BS gets the highest grade.
          Pretty much, yeah. I hated it in AP English in High School and I made it a point to avoid it as much as I could in college.
          I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Originally posted by OBP
            Originally posted by ke7ejx
            Pretty much, yeah. I hated it in AP English in High School and I made it a point to avoid it as much as I could in college.
            He tried to steer us more toward prosody and mechanical analysis--things like revisions affecting rhyme scheme, meter, or consonance/alliteration. The symbolic/interpretive stuff is clearly more speculative. We were taught a continuum of "supportable" and "unsupportable" opinions regarding interpretation. The piece in question--I remember because he gave me a C on the essay portion and I was agrieved--was about William Blake's "The Tyger."
            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
            Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              He tried to steer us more toward prosody and mechanical analysis--things like revisions affecting rhyme scheme, meter, or consonance/alliteration. The symbolic/interpretive stuff is clearly more speculative. We were taught a continuum of "supportable" and "unsupportable" opinions regarding interpretation. The piece in question--I remember because he gave me a C on the essay portion and I was agrieved--was about William Blake's "The Tyger."
              Hence my displeasure with it. It was the speculative that I kept getting graded down on.
              I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                so you are saying that they would drop dead if they work hard and don't party.

Not drinking and partying is not the same thing as spending your entire time studying and worrying about school.
                I haven't said anything about partying. I'm saying that a high-stress academic environment is unhealthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  I haven't said anything about partying. I'm saying that a high-stress academic environment is unhealthy.
                  Then they should ban colleges altogether because it isn't supposed to be 4 years of lounging around partying and drinking. It is supposed to be about learning and studying. If that is too stressful then maybe they should shut them all down and replace them with spas.

Comment

Then they should ban colleges altogether because it isn't supposed to be 4 years of lounging around partying and drinking. It is supposed to be about learning and studying. If that is too stressful then maybe they should shut them all down and replace them with spas.
                    They should ban you from this forum altogether because you're so thick. If all you care about is shouting at a straw man don't bother posting.

Comment

They should ban you from this forum altogether because you're so thick. If all you care about is shouting at a straw man don't bother posting.
                      I have this theory that your user name refers to repeatedly saying things so stupid that they lower the IQ of the reader. Must you keep validating it?
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I have this theory that your user name refers to repeatedly saying things so stupid that they lower the IQ of the reader. Must you keep validating it?
                        What sort of stupid things do you think I repeatedly say?

Comment

What sort of stupid things do you think I repeatedly say?
                          Trying to kick the original poster out of his own thread is a brilliant example.
                          I am Punkinhead.

Comment

You were arguing that college is too stressful and unhealthy.

"I'm saying that a high-stress academic environment is unhealthy." -- Psychic Missile.

That is what a college is. It isn't a play school. They don't get snacks and naps. It is 4 years of intensive study to get a degree in some complicated subject. It takes studying and work. It is stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                              Trying to kick the original poster out of his own thread is a brilliant example.
                              heck no. he wants to ban me from the FORUM! That I co-own.

Comment

You were arguing that college is too stressful and unhealthy.

"I'm saying that a high-stress academic environment is unhealthy." -- Psychic Missile.

That is what a college is. It isn't a play school. They don't get snacks and naps. It is 4 years of intensive study to get a degree in some complicated subject. It takes studying and work. It is stressful.
                                I was arguing that med school can be too stressful and unhealthy and a similar environment could be present in other academic disciplines. You keep saying things I agree with assuming I don't, like this last line of the reply I'm quoting. The stressors I'm talking about exist to an abnormal degree and harm otherwise healthy individuals resulting in depression and suicide.

Comment