Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

27 Christians Murdered In Texas Church...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I really wanted to read that article, but it's behind a paywall.
    Huh. Not for me.

Comment

Or just steal a registered gun from somebody else, just like they do with legally registered vehicles.
      Yep, but I covered this in post #147,
      "Also, if guns are licensed and registered, the government could do yearly checks to ensure that the gun is still in the legal owner's possession, and the owner hadn't sold, lost, or had the gun stolen without informing anyone."

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Yep, but I covered this in post #147,
        "Also, if guns are licensed and registered, the government could do yearly checks to ensure that the gun is still in the legal owner's possession, and the owner hadn't sold, lost, or had the gun stolen without informing anyone."
        Wow. How would they do these "yearly checks", and what would it accomplish? Create a new government entity? Vastly expand one that already exists? Do you honestly think this is practical? Do you honestly believe this would in any way prevent a criminal from acquiring the weapon he will use to do mass murder?

First, you have to get all guns registered - a monumental task. Then an ANNUAL audit?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Never even heard of the guy. I guess even pedophile junkie murderers get some things right.

William Burroughs was one of the big three beatniks of the 50s along side his occasional lover (and NAMBLA proponent) Allen Ginsberg (pictured) and Jack Kerouac. He was the author of books like The Naked Lunch and Junkie, and originated the cut up technique where he would cut up text, and then rearrange it to create new text. He was also known for his penchant for young dark Mediterranean boys, collecting guns, and shooting his wife while drunkenly playing a game of William Tell.
          Last edited by Adrift; 11-08-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Wow.
            Good to know that people aren't reading my posts. Be nice if you did so I wouldn't have to repeat the same things over and over again.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            How would they do these "yearly checks", and what would it accomplish? Create a new government entity? Vastly expand one that already exists? Do you honestly think this is practical? Do you honestly believe this would in any way prevent a criminal from acquiring the weapon he will use to do mass murder?

First, you have to get all guns registered - a monumental task. Then an ANNUAL audit?
            We register vehicles yearly, don't we? If there was a will, I'm sure there would be a way. Pretty sure other nations do something similar, and have been doing so for a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
              The media considered the Muslim worldview of another attacker to be of interest only a few days ago.
              A number of them here were working very hard to disassociate him from Islam. For instance a column in the New York Times tried to downplay the connection preferring to describe him as being a "disturbed loner." And in spite of his repeatedly making his motive crystal clear they proclaimed "As with any attack like this, there is no single reason Mr. Saipov reportedly decided to kill innocents."

The TimesWashington Post simply omitted it altogether.

Over on MSNBC they actually had someone on who declared that the attacks had nothing to do with Islam but could have instead been carried out by radical Catholics saying "Even Christians, we have seen Catholics in Canada who converted to quote on quote, Islam and carried out acts of terror" and "It could have been an American who was formerly Catholic two weeks ago just as easily as it was a person from south Asia."

On CNN

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Good to know that people aren't reading my posts. Be nice if you did so I wouldn't have to repeat the same things over and over again.
                I'm going to withdraw from this discussion with you, Adrift. I really do like you, and I think you are only seeing me as being antagonistic.

Be well.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We register vehicles yearly, don't we? If there was a will, I'm sure there would be a way. Pretty sure other nations do something similar, and have been doing so for a long time.
                  We don't have a Constitutional right to a vehicle either. And if we treated vehicles like we do firearms you would likely have to wait several days before you could take possession of it after paying for it (or even own one until you're 21 in most states) and you would need separate licences for it in order to cross state lines and in some jurisdictions county and city lines as well or face confiscation, fines and possible jail time.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm going to withdraw from this discussion with you, Adrift. I really do like you, and I think you are only seeing me as being antagonistic.

Be well.
                    That's fair. The feeling is mutual. I'm bowing out as well, since I'm feeling a bit ganged up, and it seems like we're all arguing in circles.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      We don't have a Constitutional right to a vehicle either. And if we treated vehicles like we do firearms you would likely have to wait several days before you could take possession of it after paying for it (or even own one until you're 21 in most states) and you would need separate licences for it in order to cross state lines and in some jurisdictions county and city lines as well or face confiscation, fines and possible jail time.
                      As has been pointed out, the primary reason for registering vehicles is because the tax (supposedly) goes to "road and bridge" expenses, upon which the vehicle is operated. This is why farm and ranch vehicles (and those used on private property) are not required to be registered or licensed.

Meanwhile, some comic relief....

Comment

• Time to make this point yet again :

If the availability of firearms is the problem then this would be impossible

Comment

• http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/11/07/f...-turns-deadly/
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So the argument for requiring guns to be registered is "we register cars, don't we?"

When a car or truck is used as a weapon - Oklahoma City, 1973 NYC bombing, 2010 Time Square bomb attempt, 1993 World Trade Center bombing, Stirling Hall bombing - a legally registered vehicle was used.
                            In some cases, the car was stolen, and in some cases, the truck or car was legally rented.

I don't know of ANY car bombings or attempts in the US where an unregistered vehicle was used. (There may be some, but I'm not aware of them)

So, somebody please explain to me what registering firearms would accomplish.
                            None of the legitimate laws suggested would have done anything to stop or inhibit mass shootings. They would have done nothing. To pass a law because "you gotta do something" is simply ignorant.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

. . . Currently there is no federal requirement to license and register all guns in the US, and very few states require it. And, no, you don't need a permit to purchase in most states. I can literally go down to my local Walmart, point to the gun I want, show them my ID and fill out a form 4473, get the background check done, and take the gun home with me that minute. I don't need a permit, a license, a registration, or anything.
                              Exactly as it should be.

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              I'm at a gunshow, or buying the gun from my pal, I don't even need that.
                              Not true, check it out.

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              And as I already explained, the problem with mandatory license/registration in some states, but not in all states is that state borders are porous, meaning that it takes nothing for anyone to get in their car and drive to their border, buy a gun, and drive back. It's practically pointless if it's not national.
                              Exactly as it should be.

The only role any government agency should be playing is to stop convicted criminals from legally purchasing guns.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

William Burroughs was one of the big three beatniks of the 50s along side his occasional lover (and NAMBLA proponent) Allen Ginsberg (pictured) and Jack Kerouac. He was the author of books like The Naked Lunch and Junkie, and originated the cut up technique where he would cut up text, and then rearrange it to create new text. He was also known for his penchant for young dark Mediterranean boys, collecting guns, and shooting his wife while drunkenly playing a game of William Tell.
                                was the gun registered?

Comment