Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kevin Spacey's Complicated Gayness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I don't know how much Family Guy, of all shows, ought to exactly be our litmus test or barometer of truth. If you've ever watched the show, it's sort of known for it's over-exaggerations, and playing with concepts that are incredibly disturbing in a light-hearted and acceptable way. I mean, one of the main characters on the show is a old man pedophile who gets away with implying that he has had or that he wants to have sex with children in every episode he shows up in. Another main character, one of the shows protagonists, is implied to have had nonconsensual sex a number of times with multiple people, and is heavily into all sorts of disturbing kinks. I doubt Seth MacFarlane knew that Kevin Spacey had made moves on a child. The naked boy running around in the clip is one of the main characters in the show, and he's often shown acting and doing things, especially sexual things, that adults do. I imagine it's just as likely, maybe more so, that if MacFarlane knew of any rumors about Spacey at all, it was probably rumors about him making sexual advances towards young men, not teenagers or children.
    I am SO glad I don't watch this show!

I saw Seth MacFarlane on an episode of Shark Tank --- wow, he was a real jerk.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Seth MacFarlane isn't nearly as funny as he clearly thinks he is.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Seth MacFarlane isn't nearly as funny as he clearly thinks he is.
        That became obvious as the 'Sharks' were obviously getting really annoyed with him, and even hinted that he helped the guy NOT get a Shark Tank Deal.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          The point is that his proclivities were not secret. And one of his accusers was only fourteen at the time - do you think that was his first and only?
          I have no idea, but then, I imagine neither does anyone else. Two others have come out and accused Spacey of groping them, but they were adult males when the incidences occurred. My only point is that, if you're using a Seth MacFarlane cartoon as your evidence that everyone knew that Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted children, then you might be jumping the gun. I think the most we can get out of the cartoon is that Kevin Spacey had a bit of a reputation for something sexual towards younger males. We can't determine much more from that from the cartoon, since, as I stated, Stewie is routinely treated as a character with adult sexual tendencies, and MacFarlane is well known for his use of exaggeration.

Comment

That became obvious as the 'Sharks' were obviously getting really annoyed with him, and even hinted that he helped the guy NOT get a Shark Tank Deal.
            He seems to think he's super edgy, when in reality he says nothing edgy whatsoever. It's like someone making a public statement that condemns Nazism. Gee, how brave.

Comment

Yeah, I can't stand his garbage. When the first couple of seasons of Family Guy first popped up as DVDs after the show was initially cancelled, I thought it was sort of funny, especially since I was raised in Pawtucket, RI, which he often makes mention of, but the type of jokes he makes are just in such bad taste, and are so unfunny and disturbing that I can't bring myself to watch anything he touches anymore. What's doubly sad for me is that some of my favorite actors and directors keep working with him, and I can't figure out why. So, for instance, Patrick Stewart has voiced a few characters in his shows, including as himself, and David Lynch showed up in that abomination, The Cleveland Show. Probably the unfunniest show that has ever found its way to primetime. What a genius like Lynch was doing on that trash, I have no idea.

Comment

To be fair, most of the "stars" on Shark Tank can be real jerks.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  To be fair, most of the "stars" on Shark Tank can be real jerks.
                  I wouldn't necessarily say "most", but it's certainly true of Cuban and O'Leary.

I have to say, though, that Foxworthy brought a certain 'sophistication' to the show!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    Yeah, I can't stand his garbage. When the first couple of seasons of Family Guy first popped up as DVDs after the show was initially cancelled, I thought it was sort of funny, especially since I was raised in Pawtucket, RI, which he often makes mention of, but the type of jokes he makes are just in such bad taste, and are so unfunny and disturbing that I can't bring myself to watch anything he touches anymore. What's doubly sad for me is that some of my favorite actors and directors keep working with him, and I can't figure out why. So, for instance, Patrick Stewart has voiced a few characters in his shows, including as himself, and David Lynch showed up in that abomination, The Cleveland Show. Probably the unfunniest show that has ever found its way to primetime. What a genius like Lynch was doing on that trash, I have no idea.
                    Pretty typical for modern day "comedians". Seems like nobody actually tells jokes any more, they just try to shock the audience by being as offensive as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Pretty typical for modern day "comedians". Seems like nobody actually tells jokes any more, they just try to shock the audience by being as offensive as possible.
                      YEARS ago, we had a "free HBO weekend", and Cosby was doing a comedy routine. It was disgusting - full of F bombs and lewd 'jokes'.... and, apparently he did that for a while, because it was cheap laughs from a bunch of drunks in a night club.

On the other hand, you get a guy like Jerry Clowers who can have you laughing so hard it hurts, and never a cuss word or "adult content" aspect whatsoever.

Comment

YEARS ago, we had a "free HBO weekend", and Cosby was doing a comedy routine. It was disgusting - full of F bombs and lewd 'jokes'.... and, apparently he did that for a while, because it was cheap laughs from a bunch of drunks in a night club.

On the other hand, you get a guy like Jerry Clowers who can have you laughing so hard it hurts, and never a cuss word or "adult content" aspect whatsoever.
                        Victor Borge, man. Victor Borge.

Comment

Rodney Dangerfield is hilarious even though he was considered "edgy" for his time.

"I got a call from a girl. She told me, 'Come on over, there's nobody home.' I went over. There was nobody home!"

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily say "most", but it's certainly true of Cuban and O'Leary.

I have to say, though, that Foxworthy brought a certain 'sophistication' to the show!
                            The only one of the regulars I ever really liked was Robert Herjavec (and sometimes Daymond John)

What do you think about Mark Cuban talking about running for President? eek.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              The only one of the regulars I ever really liked was Robert Herjavec (and sometimes Daymond John)
                              So much of the time, Robert seemed like a genuine good guy. Sometimes he "did the deal" just because he liked "the story" of the person doing the pitch - resonating with the story of his own father being the floor sweeper in a factory, etc.... It really bummed me out when my wife told me that Robert divorced his wife of over 20 years

What do you think about Mark Cuban talking about running for President? eek.
                              Cuban can be one of the biggest jerks on Shark Tank, so .... Trump has forged a path for him?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                                Victor Borge, man. Victor Borge.
                                I'm not the only one around here who's familiar with this guy, right?

Comment