Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

McCain my kind of Republican!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The nomination of Sarah Palin was one of the factors that cost him the election.
    Unlikely. Picking Palin as his running mate reinvigorated his otherwise sagging campaign, but I do recall pundits pointing out that this didn't speak well for McCain's chances when people were more excited about the vice presidential candidate than they were about the presidential candidate. One of the reasons he chose Palin is because the public was simply losing interest in him as a candidate.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      we used to have that but it got lost in the crash.

All your base are belong to us.
      fify.

Comment

McCain is my kind of Republican!
        McCain is my favorite example (of many from both parties) that have stayed in congress too long.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Unlikely. Picking Palin as his running mate reinvigorated his otherwise sagging campaign, but I do recall pundits pointing out that this didn't speak well for McCain's chances when people were more excited about the vice presidential candidate than they were about the presidential candidate. One of the reasons he chose Palin is because the public was simply losing interest in him as a candidate.
          Pretty sure Palin was a negative. She wasn't necessarily the single solitary reason he lost, but she sure was an avoidable loss. She certainly was the reason I didn't vote for McCain.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            Pretty sure Palin was a negative. She wasn't necessarily the single solitary reason he lost, but she sure was an avoidable loss. She certainly was the reason I didn't vote for McCain.
            It seems to me that she drew rather more votes than she turned away. McCain was not a good candidate, and she really energized the conservative base.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Most of the base that Palin invigorated would have voted for McCain anyway, so I feel comfortable saying she was probably a net loss. At the same time, McCain was so far behind in the polls that it was a very justifiable Hail Mary decision to pick her.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Most of the base that Palin invigorated would have voted for McCain anyway,...
                But only tepidly. It's not just about who would vote for whom, but actually getting them to pull the lever. Palin added some oomph to that.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Problem with English here, and incomplete.
                  I'm afraid I'm not smart enough to understand this post.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    It seems to me that she drew rather more votes than she turned away. McCain was not a good candidate, and she really energized the conservative base.
                    There's definitely evidence that she energized the conservative base... at first. But initial reaction isn't what decides people's
                    I'm not sure how much "energizing" the conservative base, considering the conservative base, has shown they'll just vote for the Republican even if they don't seem to actually care for him that much (granted, the liberal base is pretty similar towards the Democrats). Someone can counter by saying Trump had Pence to better attract conservatives, but it's not like McCain couldn't have picked any other number of stalwart Republicans as a vice president to still get that effect.

The issue here is the swing voters, and from what I can tell a lot of them were turned off by Palin. Granted, much of my reasoning for this is anecdotal, so I decided to try to see if I could find non-anecdotal evidence for it. A paper from 2010 concluded that McCain lost 2% of the vote as a result of Palin, though to get any specific information about the methodology you have to sign up for a subscription, so obviously I can't judge its accuracy (though some of it is shown here). Of course, McCain lost by 7%, meaning Palin's adverse 2% effect wouldn't have cost him the election, but still indicates that Palin hurt him more than she helped him on election day.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm not smart enough to understand this post.
                      Me too, neither.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Most of the base that Palin invigorated would have voted for McCain anyway, so I feel comfortable saying she was probably a net loss. At the same time, McCain was so far behind in the polls that it was a very justifiable Hail Mary decision to pick her.
                        Maybe, maybe not. Obama was an unknown quantity, with not nearly the negatives Hillary had - so there would have been less "anti" votes going to McCain. I could sort of like Mitt; McCain, not so much.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The Republicans need to run a black woman for President, like Condoleezza Rice. Then we can call all the democrats who won't vote for her "racist misogynists" and watch their heads explode.

Comment

The Republicans need to run a black woman for President, like Condoleezza Rice. Then we can call all the democrats who won't vote for her "racist misogynists" and watch their heads explode.
                            They won't get it. These are the same people who cried about "the war on women" while they were savaging Sarah Palin.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Are you saying you want to catch the left in obvious hypocrisy?
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

at best an "oreo" (see the case of former Maryland Lieutenant Governor Michael Steele).

Don't think so? Awhile back I wrote several posts about how liberals treat black conservatives. Here's the part on Rice
                                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

For example, let's start with the former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Los Angeles TimesBoston Globe's
                                "Is you there 'cause you a high-toned public Negro?
                                Is you their black-haired answer-mammy who be smart?
                                Does they like how you shine their shoes, Condoleezza?
                                Or the way you wash and park the whitey's cars.

Georgie junior says he trusts you, Condoleezza.
                                Who said our [unintelligible] off the greedy oil woes.
                                But then he make you clean all the White House bathrooms.
                                The public sink, the toilet and let's scrub the floors."

The NAACP, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton... none
                                Who do Tom Ass Clarence Work for
                                Who doo doo come out the Colon's mouth
                                Who know what kind of Skeeza is a Condoleeza

Once again, imagine the reaction if a conservative had said similar things about liberal blacks...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment