Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The next liberal outrage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    George Washington lost his first House of Burgesses election and then bribed his way to winning his second with liquor.
    Things haven't changed much!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      We can remember history without actively celebrating holidays named after the people themselves. (Though with Columbus, nobody really actually celebrates Columbus Day outside of the Italian American community.)
      You mean like Martin Luther King?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        You mean like Martin Luther King?
        Did you see my post about him earlier?

I think in general history is better served when we reflect on movements and what happened. With the original Martin Luther, instead of getting caught up in his personal mistakes, why not just celebrate the Reformation? Why not just celebrate the civil rights movement, which was about more than just one flawed individual?
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          George Washington lost his first House of Burgesses election and then bribed his way to winning his second with liquor.
          That was a time-honored tradition back then!
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Buying alcohol for voters is not exactly comparable to cutting people's ears off.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Buying alcohol for voters is not exactly comparable to cutting people's ears off.
              I don't see any reason why liberals would throw George Washington under the bus for bribing the electorate (today's politicians are only slightly less subtle); it's the slave-owning which gives them the vapors.

(I readily concede that slave-owning is inappropriate, but if we toss overboard everyone with flaws we won't have anyone left.)
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I don't see any reason why liberals would throw George Washington under the bus for bribing the electorate (today's politicians are only slightly less subtle); it's the slave-owning which gives them the vapors.

(I readily concede that slave-owning is inappropriate, but if we toss overboard everyone with flaws we won't have anyone left.)
                I have Columbus specifically in mind. His "flaws" dwarf those of any other figure mentioned here, and sweeping them under the rug as just flaws like any other historical figure has seems like a convenient way of avoiding dealing with them.

Comment

I have Columbus specifically in mind. His "flaws" dwarf those of any other figure mentioned here, and sweeping them under the rug as just flaws like any other historical figure has seems like a convenient way of avoiding dealing with them.
                  Is cutting someone's ears off (for stealing IIRC) really worse than adultery? Or slavery? God had the death penalty instituted for the latter.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Did you see my post about him earlier?

I think in general history is better served when we reflect on movements and what happened. With the original Martin Luther, instead of getting caught up in his personal mistakes, why not just celebrate the Reformation? Why not just celebrate the civil rights movement, which was about more than just one flawed individual?
                    History doesn't happen without people.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Would too - we'd have to wait for Him to come back, though...

But what the heck, we're waiting for that anyway!
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        History doesn't happen without people.
                        And?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          Is cutting someone's ears off (for stealing IIRC) really worse than adultery? Or slavery? God had the death penalty instituted for the latter.
                          This occurred for more than stealing; one extant document reveals that Columbus congratulated his brother for cutting out the tongue of one woman who suggested Columbus was of ignoble birth. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...07/books.spain

I don't think the death penalty issue is decisive. At least some of the Mosaic laws appeared occasional in nature. Given that these sorts of actions were likely not an issue in Israel at the time the laws were given, it should come as no surprise there's nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Would too - we'd have to wait for Him to come back, though...

But what the heck, we're waiting for that anyway!
                            He equated a Gentile woman with a dog. In the eyes of the virtue signalers, he doesn't pass either.
                            sigpic

Comment

This occurred for more than stealing; one extant document reveals that Columbus congratulated his brother for cutting out the tongue of one woman who suggested Columbus was of ignoble birth. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...07/books.spain
                              So it occurred for slander as well? I'm really not sure the punishments (for crimes at that) are that out of line with the norm at the time (or the historic norm for that matter). Europe used to execute kids for stealing.

I don't think the death penalty issue is decisive. At least some of the Mosaic laws appeared occasional in nature. Given that these sorts of actions were likely not an issue in Israel at the time the laws were given, it should come as no surprise there's nothing about them.
                              We're talking about a nation that literally had "eye for an eye" in its laws. Even aside from that, I find it hard to believe mutilation was uncommon considering the weapons commonly used at the time.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

This talks a bunch about the document but doesn't actually bother to show it to back up its claims.

Comment