Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Harvey Weinstein: Another Good Liberal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Their discovery of Quentin Tarantino, though, is probably what put them on the map.
    One of the most overrated directors.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I didn't know anything about his politics, but as a movie buff the Weinstein brothers, and particularly Harvey, have backed some of the most creative movie projects since the 90s, and mostly (as far as I know) left the creative types to their work. Which (again, as I understand it) was/is an alternative to how many big name movie producers do things, where most big production companies don't seem to recognize talent, and when they do, they tend to add their own two cents which see the creative types often compromising their vision. The Weinsteins were owners of two mid-tier movie studios, Mirimax, and then in the last decade or so, The Weinstein Company. They were initially responsible for the creative output of lots of artsy smallish budget films like:

The Thin Blue Line
      Sex, Lies, and Videotape
      My Left Foot
      Cinema Paradiso
      The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
      Hardware
      Delicatessen
      Reservoir Dogs
      The Crying Game
      Strictly Ballroom
      Like Water for Chocolate
      Farewell My Concubine
      The Piano
      The Three Colors trilogy
      The Crow
      Pulp Fiction
      Clerks
      Heavenly Creatures
      Muriel's Wedding
      The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain
      Smoke
      Il Postino
      Kids
      Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead
      Chungking Express
      Dead Man
      Trainspotting
      Basquiat
      Swingers
      Chasing Amy
      Life is Beautiful
      Velvet Goldmine
      Princess Mononoke
      The Cider House Rules
      The Talented Mr. Ripley

If you got into film in the late 80s/90s like I did, their name was basically like a who's who of great indie and foreign films. Their discovery of Quentin Tarantino, though, is probably what put them on the map.
      I haven't even heard of most of those and the only ones I saw were Hardware and The Crow. Neither of which I thought were very good.

Comment

You may as well add "moon landing hoax" and "9/11 was an inside job" to your list.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          One of the most overrated directors.
          I like most of his work. I think he's about as well rated as I'd rate him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I haven't even heard of most of those and the only ones I saw were Hardware and The Crow. Neither of which I thought were very good.
            Hardware is one of my favorite films, and while it's a little cheesy, I like The Crow. A lot of these films are relatively well known (Pulp Fiction, Clerks, Trainspotting, Princess Mononoke, etc.), but like I said, they're mostly indie(ish) or foreign films, so if you only watch mainstream blockbuster fare, you likely won't be familiar with many of the titles, and that's okay.

Comment

I like most of his work. I think he's about as well rated as I'd rate him.
              He wasn't a director was he? He was a producer. Basically he just oversaw the film production/financing, right?

Comment

Hardware is one of my favorite films, and while it's a little cheesy, I like The Crow. A lot of these films are relatively well known (Pulp Fiction, Clerks, Trainspotting, Princess Mononoke, etc.), but like I said, they're mostly indie(ish) or foreign films, so if you only watch mainstream blockbuster fare, you likely won't be familiar with many of the titles, and that's okay.
                just kind of curious that he was such a big deal in Hollywood if most of his films were not blockbusters but second rate.

Comment

He wasn't a director was he? He was a producer. Basically he just oversaw the film production/financing, right?
                  Mainly, yes, but like many producers he could (and occasionally did) make suggestions about the films under his tent pole. Scenes are sometimes added or films are sometimes edited according to their discretion. They can also replace talent altogether. As I understand it, he was a much more fair producer, and left much more to the creative types than most producers. Often times when you hear about directors struggling with the studio, it's the producers they're struggling with. Most times that's to the detriment of the film and the creator (as is the case with a lot of Terry Gilliam films), sometimes it's for the better (as in the case of George Lucas).

Comment

just kind of curious that he was such a big deal in Hollywood if most of his films were not blockbusters but second rate.
                    Yeah, I don't know. He was always a name I recognized because I watch so many indie and foreign films, but I never thought of him as a biggest of the big deals in Hollywood exactly. He's no Bruckheimer. The best I can come up with is that creative types in Hollywood praise people who are also fellow creative types (or who at least don't get in the way of the creative types), and the films he is associated with are like cream of the crop great indie films. Lots of Oscar contender type material.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I was just going by the testimony of some of his victims who claim they didn't report him because he was so powerful, and could make or break careers.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I was just going by the testimony of some of his victims who claim they didn't report him because he was so powerful, and could make or break careers.
                        That's likely very true. A lot of famous talent make their start in indie films, and Mirimax and The Weinstein Brothers eventually became known as a mini-major, which means that they're not quite at the level of a major film studio, but that they don't shy away from competing with the big boys. A lot of films under their tent pole end up becoming surprise hits, or do well at award shows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Yeah the news says he was some huge hollywood mogul and show him in photos with Hillary, Obama and other famous people. And apparently hollywood was too afraid of the guy to turn him in. You would think he would have a ton of blockbusters under his belt, right?

Comment

• Harvey Weinstein ought to run for president. Trump established the high bar that misogyny and abuse of women qualifies Weinstein for president.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Harvey Weinstein ought to run for president. Trump established the high bar that misogyny and abuse of women qualifies Weinstein for president.
                              Wow, Jimmy* - this sounds a little more cohesive than your usual pinko commie liberal rants!

*yeah, I know
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Harvey Weinstein ought to run for president. Trump established the high bar that misogyny and abuse of women qualifies Weinstein for president.
                                I think the prize goes to Clinton, don't you think?

Comment