Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Harvey Weinstein: Another Good Liberal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Don't ask how many times I had to watch the "Notebook!"
    The Notebook is totally overrated, but there's a version of the trailer that turns it into a thriller. That's pretty cool.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      The Notebook is totally overrated, but there's a version of the trailer that turns it into a thriller. That's pretty cool.
      Well it is not overrated for women - at least that is what they tell me...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        I'd heard good things about The Fountain, and after suffering through it (dear lord that movie is boring), I was pretty sure it was just a load of pretentious nonsense.
        It's Aronofsky, it's intended to be pretentious. The Wrestler, and Black Swan were fantastic. Requiem for a Dream was also a well crafted film, but not one I ever want to revisit. Noah was goofy post-Talmudic nonsense, and Mother! was intentionally frustrating, and symbolically bankrupt, but it did remind me a lot of Jean Cocteau's 1949 film Orpheus. Pi is where it all starts though, and that's the film that got me into him. Good stuff.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I hate "chick flicks" too. And artsy chick flicks are the worst. I suffered through "Steel Magnolias" with a few friends (we had free tickets) -Gah! It was horrible. I actually felt jealous that Julia Roberts got to die during the movie and I didn't.
        Spoilers!
        Last edited by Adrift; 10-11-2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• As Roger Ebert used to say, "Movies are so rarely great art that if you can't appreciate great trash then there's no reason to watch them."

My personal favorite director is Stanley Kubrick who is rumored to have started making movies after watching some art films at the local museum and figuring he couldn't possibly do any worse. My all-time favorite movie is 2001: A Space Odyssey/
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            As Roger Ebert used to say, "Movies are so rarely great art that if you can't appreciate great trash then there's no reason to watch them."

My personal favorite director is Stanley Kubrick who is rumored to have started making movies after watching some art films at the local museum and figuring he couldn't possibly do any worse. My all-time favorite movie is 2001: A Space Odyssey/
            My favorite moves are: Bladerunner, Highlander and The Princess Bride

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              Don't ask how many times I had to watch the "Notebook!"
              Or Bridges Of Madison County.

A story about a father who takes the kids to the State Fair and the wife uses the opportunity to have an affair. A real romantic story.

I doubt that is how it would have been portrayed if the roles were reversed and the husband had jumped into bed with a stranger when the wife took the kids on a trip

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Ah the old Bladerunner move. When a pirate pulls out his sword and then turns around and runs away.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  As Roger Ebert used to say, "Movies are so rarely great art that if you can't appreciate great trash then there's no reason to watch them."

Great movie, and a great director. My favorites from him are probably Paths of Glory and The Shining, but I love pretty much everything he's done including his films that didn't do so well like Barry Lyndon. I think Ebert is wrong though. I think there are so many great movies that it'll take most people a lifetime to see them all. The problem with Ebert is that he was forced to see a lot of dreck as a film critic. I think that made him severely cynical, and as much as I respect him for his critiques there were plenty that had me scratching my head, and a few where he made obvious errors where he was either sleeping through the film, or was too busy taking notes to look up at the screen.

Comment

Bladerunner is a little highbrow for someone who doesn't like artsy films. Hope you enjoy the sequel. I think they did justice to the original.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      Great movie, and a great director. My favorites from him are probably Paths of Glory and The Shining, but I love pretty much everything he's done including his films that didn't do so well like Barry Lyndon. I think Ebert is wrong though. I think there are so many great movies that it'll take most people a lifetime to see them all. The problem with Ebert is that he was forced to see a lot of dreck as a film critic. I think that made him severely cynical, and as much as I respect him for his critiques there were plenty that had me scratching my head, and a few where he made obvious errors where he was either sleeping through the film, or was too busy taking notes to look up at the screen.
                      There used to be a critic here who worked for the local paper that if she said a movie was bad I took it as an endorsement to watch it and if she said a movie was good that meant run, don't walk, as far from it as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Ah the old Bladerunner move. When a pirate pulls out his sword and then turns around and runs away.
                        no. It is about robot girlfriends. You know, like the only type you can get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          Bladerunner is a little highbrow for someone who doesn't like artsy films. Hope you enjoy the sequel. I think they did justice to the original.
                          I liked it because I like Philip K. Dick stories. I haven't seen the sequel yet. Just gonna wait for the bluray.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            There used to be a critic here who worked for the local paper that if she said a movie was bad I took it as an endorsement to watch it and if she said a movie was good that meant run, don't walk, as far from it as possible.
                            That sounds similar to the movie critic Armond White. This guy is hilarious....Ebert once half-heartedly tried to defend him, but even he had to admit the guy went too far. Pretty much every film that receives critical praise he despises, and vice versa. He's got some terrible taste, but I finally did agree with him on one film, the recent goofy documentary "13th". He eviscerates that film, and rightfully so.

Comment

I liked it because I like Philip K. Dick stories. I haven't seen the sequel yet. Just gonna wait for the bluray.
                              That's cool. Its really the best Philip K. Dick adaption in my book...and it's pretty arty. The sequel is worth seeing in the theater, especially in an Imax. Very colorful.

Comment

• Worst TV show in the world: Scorpion. But I watch it every week. Can't believe how bad it is. It is so bad it is hilarious. They get every single bit of science wrong and are not even doing it tongue-in-cheek. They are serious. And it is supposed to be based on a real genius, who is supposed to be the expert consultant on the show. But the internet says he is a fraud, so that kinda makes sense why the show is so bad.

Comment