Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting Las Vegas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Caleb Keeter, country music performer at the concert, says enough is enough, changes his mind concerning gun laws.

http://abc7ny.com/guitarist-changes-...oting/2480384/

For some people, probably many of you here, it has to affect you personally before you actually allow yourself to care and stop the stupid arguments. I'll bet if you had a family member killed or wounded at such an event, you couldn't in good conscience continue arguing in favor of less regulations.
    He's a liar, he was in favor of gun control before too.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Caleb Keeter, country music performer at the concert, says enough is enough, changes his mind concerning gun laws.

For some people, probably many of you here, it has to affect you personally before you actually allow yourself to care and stop the stupid arguments. I'll bet if you had a family member killed or wounded at such an event, you couldn't in good conscience continue arguing in favor of less regulations.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
        It does seem a uniquely American thing in modern western society. It seems the right to own & wield copious amounts of firearms is more important than the mass shootings of school kids & concert goers. I don't get it, and having seen many defending their right to own such weapondry I admit to still not getting it.
        It is a question of using force against millions of innocent people in order to reduce somewhat the risk from a very small number of bad/crazy people. People who are okay with that have lost the principled ground against all kinds of invasions of liberty, including banning Muslim immigration.

Arguably the biggest cause of death in the world in the past century has been governments. Perhaps then we should focus our efforts at restricting/banning governments? Maybe it's more the governments' possession of weaponry that we should be worried about restricting?

Comment

• Cromwell- Let's take swords away from the Irish.
          Irish- OK. Oh look a sturdy black thorn shilelagh.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            He's a liar, he was in favor of gun control before too.
            And we're supposed to take your word for that against his own why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              sure and we can abolish it and become a dictatorship. Changing the constitution is hard for a reason. We don't want it to be changed. It is the foundation of our country. It basically IS "holy writ" for the USA.
              This seems a rather big strawman. No one suggested abolishing the whole thing, just changing part of it, as has been done multiple times in the past. The argument "we don't want it to be changed" is rather fallacious if that were the case, changing it would be impossible, not merely difficult. Heck, the Second Amendment itself was a change to the Constitution, as it wasn't added until several years after ratification.

Comment

• Oh stop with the bs Lilpix, you couldn't care less about solutions. Some 560 people or so were killed or injured in this attack, 59 so far dead, so don't tell me there are no solutions. No one is suggesting we take everyones guns away and starting an armed rebellion. How many of these attacks where many innocent people are murdered is it going to take to wake you up. If this particular mad man didn't have these gun modifying components, which btw are legal, he wouldn't have had the firing power to kill and maim all those people. I'm pretty sure if your mom was there and was shot in the head and killed you'd change your tune. But, in your case I could be wrong about that.

Comment

Oh stop with the bs Lilpix, you couldn't care less about solutions.
                  You're a terrible mind reader, Jim.
                  Some 560 people or so were killed or injured in this attack, 59 so far dead, so don't tell me there are no solutions.
                  She didn't.
                  No one is suggesting we take everyones guns away and starting an armed rebellion.
                  How do you propose doing away with guns? You think everyone will just meekly give them up?
                  How many of these attacks where many innocent people are murdered is it going to take to wake you up.
                  How many disastrous consequences to knee-jerk reactions will it take for you to stop proposing knee-jerk reactions?
                  If this particular mad man didn't have these gun modifying components, which btw are legal, he wouldn't have had the firing power to kill and maim all those people.
                  You have evidence he had "these gun modifying components" legally? He could've done plenty of damage with explosives, too (which he had, and gun control laws wouldn't touch).
                  I'm pretty sure if your mom was there and was shot in the head and killed you'd change your tune. But, in your case I could be wrong about that.
                  What kind of sick, twisted logic is that? "Someone close to me was killed by a gun, so guns should be taken away from me." THINK, Jim.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And we're supposed to take your word for that against his own why?
                    Sort of like we're supposed to take your word for every unsupported assertion you make here? Hypocrite much?
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Love of guns had nothing to do with this. No love of any sort involved, only hatred and evil.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Amend it. It's been amended nearly thirty times, including amendments that cancelled original clauses or previous amendments.

The 21st amendment annulled the 18th.

Why shouldn't the 28th amendment annul the 2nd?
                        The LAST thing you want is to override the second. That's really, really NOT how this works.

It would create legal nightmares that would make matters worse. Because the second has been incorporated - that's the actual problem now.

It should not have been - and arguably, incorporation itself is a problem. But it makes more sense to dis-incorporate it (this will NOT be fun) than to void it.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Does anybody think that repealing the 2nd Amendment and following up with gun confiscations wouldn't lead to a second Civil War?
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            sure and we can abolish it and become a dictatorship. Changing the constitution is hard for a reason. We don't want it to be changed. It is the foundation of our country. It basically IS "holy writ" for the USA.
                            Um, you do realize the second wasn't incorporated until a few years ago, right? The truth is, we DO change it - sometimes minus the formal amendment process.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

FYI: I'm PRO gun control. This is a really unnecessarily nasty argument. It's also a fallacious one - moralistic fallacy.

Don't help.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                Does anybody think that repealing the 2nd Amendment and following up with gun confiscations wouldn't lead to a second Civil War?
                                No, I don't - but it would be a massively bad idea and while it probably wouldn't result in warfare, it would result in violence.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment