Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    He left because Trump told him to.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41544567

Comment

LOL. As if the whole kneeling thing isn't staged. They all started kneeling because Trump said that anyone kneeling should be fired. So yeah, they staged a counter protest, which the fans loved. I bet fans will start walking out if they continue kneeling.

Also 7 teams now say that if anyone doesn't stand, they will not play. Seems to be working.

===========================
      National anthem protests once again made headlines in the NFL Sunday, with one report suggesting NFL owners and/or team executives have made it clear to players they must stand for the anthem.

Shaun King of The Intercept reported via Twitter Sunday night that players from seven NFL teams, "have contacted me the past 24 hours to tell me they have been told they have to stand for the anthem."

More than that, King reported that one player said players on his team were told how to stand for the anthem, such as the position of their hands and feet.

Earlier in the day, Vice President Mike Pence left Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis after seeing players kneel during the anthem. A report surfaced that the Dolphins were requiring players to stand. After the Cowboys' last-second loss to the Packers Sunday evening, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told reporters, "If there is anything disrespecting the flag, then we will not play. Period."

Team owners may be looking at the bottom line. Polls have shown the public is generally against protests during the anthem. TV ratings through the first four weeks of the season are down 10 percent, according to Nielsen. While a 10 percent decline for the entire season might not sound like much, one analyst estimated that would cost the league's TV network partners $200 million.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...112cmj6ew52buu

Comment

Originally posted by Idiotic Missile View Post
        What precious, fragile li'l snowflake. I hope he found a safe space ASAP.
        Not at all... it was a measured and graceful response to a disgraceful and unpatriotic display.

Or maybe you think conservatives should take a page from the liberal playbook and start a rioting and throwing temper tantrums instead?

aa3eb017f49494eff0dc4cc34d96672c.jpg
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          What precious, fragile li'l snowflake. I hope he found a safe space ASAP.
          While Trump's initial statements about firing them could be considered snowflake-like (wanting someone to force them to stop) Pence's simply walking out is precisely what someone who disagrees should do. No rushing the field to protest. No requiring counseling or a couple days off to help deal with the "trauma." And no rioting to protest it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            While Trump's initial statements about firing them could be considered snowflake-like (wanting someone to force them to stop) Pence's simply walking out is precisely what someone who disagrees should do. No rushing the field to protest. No requiring counseling or a couple days off to help deal with the "trauma." And no rioting to protest it.
            Perhaps we should start tearing down statues of football players, to be more intune with the left!

Dan Marino NFL statue.vadapt.767.high.97.jpg
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Contra your belief that this is some sort of controversy for everybody, it's pretty much a slam dunk on the right that any of us would have done the same.

And, yes, Pence and Trump are both total snowflakes for this and other reasons. (Remember when Trump declared the theater should be a "safe place" after the Hamilton cast criticized Pence?)
              I'm not sure how people disrespecting your country is a snowflake issue. Trump is fighting a very important battle in the culture wars because corporations routinely side with the left on culture issues and Trump is now making them pay a very heavy price by forcing conservatives to actually take a stand against them. You're just mad because it works so you're trying to downplay the absolute rout this has been for the NFL and the left in general.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

While Trump's initial statements about firing them could be considered snowflake-like
                Oh please, it was obvious bait to get more of them to disrespect the anthem. They cannot even be remotely considered "snowflake-like" unless you are completely void of any sort of tactical thinking.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Intent did not equal result. They may not have meant to disrespect the flag, but they did. That's why only 7 kneeled last weekend.
                  I know of no reference that would tell us why and specific number of football players kneeled at any one time. In fact the recent protests are as much in response to Trump and Pence's aggressive approach on the issue. Pence staged his appearance with the desired result.

Comment

There are rumors saying that Colin Kaepernick promises to stand for anthem if only somebody would sign him.

The saying "Too little, too late" comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      There are rumors saying that Colin Kaepernick promises to stand for anthem if only somebody would sign him.

Are you basing this on rumors?

Was the cost of the trip worth a staged act? ~$242,000+

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Are you basing this on rumors?
                        Um...

Comment

The same guy who contributed $25,000 to a group that honors a convicted cop killer (the fund is named after him)?

The same guy who liked to wear socks depicting police as pigs to practice?

Apparently he told several people before the season that he was now suddenly willing to stand but when he later denied it everyone pulled back the story.
                          Last edited by rogue06; 10-09-2017, 03:46 PM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            You're just mad because it works so you're trying to downplay the absolute rout this has been for the NFL and the left in general.
                            I don't even watch football; I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the NFL implode in the next few years.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What I find interesting is how some are trying to twist this into a battle for free speech when the NFL has a long history of restricting it.

The forbid players from commemorating the anniversary of 9/11 by wearing red, white and blue cleats (a largely symbolic gesture since few would ever notice them).

Similarly they told the Dallas Cowboys they could not wear a small decal on their helmets honoring the five police officers gunned down by a sniper[1]

They told a player he could not simulate shooting an arrow from a bow during a touch down celebration in the end zone.

They don't allow players to call the officials or even other players bad names.

And keep in mind the right of freedom of speech mentioned in the First Amendment has to do with forbidding the government from punishing the speaker. The people still have a right to voice their disapproval by calling the speaker an idiot, boycotting his shows/business/games etc.

1 The total B.S. excuse offered is they don't allow teams to alter their uniforms in any way yet they've allowed teams to attach decals of variously colored ribbons associated with various causes and allowed them to wear pink socks, shoes, wrist bands... to raise awareness for breast cancer.

Comment

1 The total B.S. excuse offered is they don't allow teams to alter their uniforms in any way yet they've allowed teams to attach decals of variously colored ribbons associated with various causes and allowed them to wear pink socks, shoes, wrist bands... to raise awareness for breast cancer.
                                My understanding is that it really was more about "awareness" than making any substantial financial commitments to research. Surely it's no coincidence that this occurred at the same time the NFL vocally emphasized trying to grow their female fan base.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment