Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Also, a question for you: why do you think conservatives always mention black on black crime whenever black people try to draw attention to racial inequality and injustice?
    Because a young black male is substantially more likely to be killed by another young black male than by a white cop, yet liberals only seem to care when it's a cop who pulls the trigger.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Also, a question for you: why do you think conservatives always mention black on black crime whenever black people try to draw attention to racial inequality and injustice?
      While not directed toward me I'd like to take a crack at this.

It isn't so much when racial inequality is brought up but rather when allegations about police gunning down blacks. Aside from the fact that the evidence shows that in encounters with police a white person is more likely to be shot and killed by the police (to the point that now folks are starting to determine why this is indeed the case), it just seems odd that those who proclaim to be interested in the gunning down of blacks want to studiously avoid talking about the overwhelming cause of blacks being shot -- black on black crime. If you're really seriously concerned about blacks being murdered shouldn't you start with the main problem?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The key lies in the word "unprovoked". An officer firing their gun certainly feels provoked, but what matters is if their reaction was justified considering what provoked them.
        The officer frequently has only seconds, or tenths of seconds, to make that judgment with adrenalin pumping - but it will be analyzed by persons in the comfort of their own offices for days and weeks and months after the fact.

I wish you could try one of the "shoot / don't shoot" simulators, PM. You'd be amazed.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          The officer frequently has only seconds, or tenths of seconds, to make that judgment with adrenalin pumping - but it will be analyzed by persons in the comfort of their own offices for days and weeks and months after the fact.

I wish you could try one of the "shoot / don't shoot" simulators, PM. You'd be amazed.
          Thats a responsibility you take on when signing on as a cop. You don't get to kill innocent people because you're not sure, at least you shouldn't be able to.

Comment

But even when the shooting is ruled justifiable, it doesn't prevent the riots spurred on by the leftists, and the false narrative based on lying witnesses.
            Just because a shooting was ruled justified doesn't mean it was justified.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That's certainly something to take into consideration when analyzing individual cases, but sometimes a necessarily short reaction time isn't relevant.
            Last edited by Psychic Missile; 10-24-2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              you mean like the way the liberals keep harping on it? or blaming the Russians for the election? or kept blaming Bush 8 years after Obama was elected?
              Those latter two questions have nothing to do with me or my argument. If BLM continues to use "HUDS", which I don't think they do but it's possible, it's for a symbolical purpose, as per the article I linked in reply 493.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                DeRay Mckesson is, according to his Wikipedia bio, "a supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement and is known for his activism via social media outlets such as Twitter and Instagram and has been active in the protests in Ferguson, Missouri and Baltimore, Maryland."

The "I can't breathe" chant started more than 3 months later, long after BLM became well known.

CBS had an article called "Black Lives Matter: How the events in Ferguson sparked a movement" which started with "Aug 7, 2015 - Black Lives Matter movement was ignited after the police shooting death of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown" and mentioned the importance of the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" mantra was to the group but now the link takes you to a story called "How a death in Ferguson sparked a movement in America" Still, if you Google the original title you'll see what I mean.

Fortune has an article "The Birth and Rise of the Black Lives Matter Movement" which starts with "Michael Brown's death 3 years ago was a catalyst for the Black Lives Matter movement" but apparently now you need a subscription to access it
                I think of BLM starting with Martin, as your Wikipedia link says, and then gaining momentum with every new contentious shooting. Ferguson was an important stepping stone, but I don't think HUDS is as important to that event as the wider facts. Regardless, I acknowledge that HUDS was more important than I was saying it was.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                While not directed toward me I'd like to take a crack at this.

It isn't so much when racial inequality is brought up but rather when allegations about police gunning down blacks. Aside from the fact that the evidence shows that in encounters with police a white person is more likely to be shot and killed by the police (to the point that now folks are starting to determine why this is indeed the case), it just seems odd that those who proclaim to be interested in the gunning down of blacks want to studiously avoid talking about the overwhelming cause of blacks being shot -- black on black crime. If you're really seriously concerned about blacks being murdered shouldn't you start with the main problem?
                What do you think is the cause of this odd prioritization?
                Last edited by Psychic Missile; 10-24-2017, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Because a young black male is substantially more likely to be killed by another young black male than by a white cop, yet liberals only seem to care when it's a cop who pulls the trigger.
                  People care more about problems that appear solvable than problems that don't appear solvable. There are plenty of statistically more important matters than whatever nonsense conservatives keep getting in tizzies over, you included. That doesn't mean you and other conservatives aren't right in tackling problems that especially inflame your passion and/or appear solvable rather than a monstrous clockwork.

Comment

which was quite well thought out and implemented at great personal risk.
                    Regardless, this does not alter the justice of their cause.

MLK and the CRM - that was tremendously effective
                    It took a while, as will the NFL protests. In both instances the white majority resisted.

- the "hey look at me" athletes, not so much.
                    Again, you have this deranged notion that you can read minds.
                    And probably even less to gain for their theatrics. All they're doing is creating greater division.
                    Yeah, more mind reading from the Magnificent CarTassy!

Comment

I think of BLM starting with Martin, as your Wikipedia link says, and then gaining momentum with every new contentious shooting. Ferguson was an important stepping stone, but I don't think HUDS is as important to that event as the wider facts. Regardless, I acknowledge that HUDS was more important than I was saying it was.
                      They were founded after Martin but didn't get any recognition until Brown in Ferguson with their "Hands up, don't shoot" chant. And the wider facts was that it was a justifiable shooting. Brown tried to take the officer's weapon when the latter was still in the car and then rushed him when both were outside the car.

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      What do you think is the cause of this odd prioritization?
                      You can get political mileage out of the one and not the other.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Comment

• I think the real problem is that there is a false perception of police brutality against blacks.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Just because a shooting was ruled justified doesn't mean it was justified.

That's certainly something to take into consideration when analyzing individual cases, but sometimes a necessarily short reaction time isn't relevant.

Comment

Give an example, please.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

People care more about problems that appear solvable than problems that don't appear solvable.
                                Black on black crime 'appears unsolvable', so it should be accepted? I know that's not what you said, but you're nodding in that direction.

There are plenty of statistically more important matters....
                                Tell that to the parents of young black children and youths who were killed by other blacks. I don't think you realize how cold hearted you sound.

Comment