Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump immunity case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

There basically won't be anything limiting what crimes he can commit.
    Oh stop Stoic, you know better...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Biden is, actually. And all the complaints about Biden using the DOJ to target his opponents, misdirected as they were, are complaints about something SCOTUS just ruled is both legal and not subject to thorough investigation by a subsequent DOJ.

-Sam
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        And you're excited about the prospect.

Probably for the best that everyone finally understands all the fake outrage and made-up complaints about Obama, Biden, et al. were just an exercise in creating a permission structure for what you yourself are totally jazzed about seeing done.

-Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Oh stop Stoic, you know better...
          You know it's true.

Comment

Probably for the best that everyone finally understands all the fake outrage and made-up complaints about Obama, Biden, et al. were just an exercise in creating a permission structure for what you yourself are totally jazzed about seeing done.

-Sam
            Congress is full of big wigs attacking the judges right now.

Comment

What, exactly, is to stop a president from accepting a $10 billion bribe now? Impeachment? Even if a president were to be impeached and convicted over such a thing, why should they care if they can keep the money and not worry about being charged afterward?
              Theoretically, at least, impeachment would remove the immunity:

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

As a practical matter, the Republican party would never allow Trump to be convicted.

Comment

According to the Roberts majority, Biden can order the destruction of all the material relating to Hur's investigation and Garland can't be subpoenaed to testify that he warned Biden this would be illegal. Total immunity now, presumptive immunity with a strong shield of protection after Biden's term ends. DOJ can respond to this subpoena by saying "the audio files have been destroyed, nothing we can do".

Great system y'all are caping for here.

ScreenShot00058.png

-Sam
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

-Sam
                  I'm just excited to watch liberals like you blow your tops over a Supreme Court decision that doesn't actually change anything, it simply clarifies existing law.

First of all, I'm not buying this liberal nonsense that anything a president does can be arbitrarily called an official act (no, Trump can't order Seal Team 6 to assassinate his political rivals and call it an "official act"); and second, Congress retains the power to remove a lawless president from office, and then he can be prosecuted for his crimes in civil court.

What this ruling effectively does is prevent a president from being harassed by frivolous lawsuits after leaving office.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Theoretically, at least, impeachment would remove the immunity:

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

As a practical matter, the Republican party would never allow Trump to be convicted.
                    I don't think this ruling would remove immunity from the impeached offense but I'm open to correction; the above text is stating that impeachment doesn't serve as a substitute for criminal prosecution — that impeached presidents can still be tried in criminal court later. This ruling, by my reading, completely upends that for official conduct and effectively upends it for unofficial conduct that can be colored as official.

-Sam
                    Last edited by Sam; 07-01-2024, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Biden is, actually. And all the complaints about Biden using the DOJ to target his opponents, misdirected as they were, are complaints about something SCOTUS just ruled is both legal and not subject to thorough investigation by a subsequent DOJ.
                      Are you suggesting that Trump use those agencies to go after his perceived enemies?

Comment

You know it's true.
                        Really Stoic, you are unhinged - not like you...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

According to the Roberts majority, Biden can order the destruction of all the material relating to Hur's investigation and Garland can't be subpoenaed to testify that he warned Biden this would be illegal. Total immunity now, presumptive immunity with a strong shield of protection after Biden's term ends. DOJ can respond to this subpoena by saying "the audio files have been destroyed, nothing we can do".
                          The Hur tapes are far less relevant now that Biden exposed his cognitive decline for the whole country to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

The Hur tapes are far less relevant now that Biden exposed his cognitive decline for the whole country to see.
                            Now we know why they are hiding them.

Comment

Are you suggesting that Trump use those agencies to go after his perceived enemies?
                              I believe the answer to this question, if it is being asked with any sincerity, can be reliably inferred from even just my posts on this thread.

-Sam

Comment

At the same time, so is the rationale for hiding them.

Comment