Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump immunity case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump immunity case

Not sure what this will mean...

Trump immunity case: Supreme Court rules ex-presidents have substantial protection from prosecution

The issue before the Supreme Court stemmed from Special Counsel Jack Smith's election interference case against former President Trump

The Supreme Court ruled Monday in Trump v. United States that a former president has substantial immunity from prosecution for official acts committed while in office, but not for unofficial acts.

The Court sent the matter back down to a lower court, as the justices did not apply the ruling to whether or not former President Trump is immune from prosecution regarding actions related to efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...on-prosecution
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

That is going back to a lower court and therefore likely be decided after the election.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      That is going back to a lower court and therefore likely be decided after the election.
      They did give a clear judgement - there is substantial immunity from prosecution for official acts committed while in office. How it applies to Trump's case is what is going back to the lower court. In any case you are correct it will be pushed out unit after the election. It is win for Trump.
      Last edited by seer; 07-01-2024, 10:10 AM.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I guess the issue is going to be whether or not the decades old tradition of presidents taking documents with them when they leave office is considered an official or an official act. I have a feeling this case is eventually going to end up back at the Supreme Court.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I guess the issue is going to be whether or not the decades old tradition of presidents taking documents with them when they leave office is considered an official or an official act. I have a feeling this case is eventually going to end up back at the Supreme Court.
          It will be interesting - the main point is that it is pushed back until after the election...

Comment

Sotomayor is beside herself, declaring that the decision "gives Trump 'all the immunity he asked for and more" and this makes a president a king.

Meanwhile, Chief Justice Roberts explains, OMB asserted far broader immunity than the limited one that the court recognized.

I'll note that the left's attempt to get Alito and Thomas to recuse themselves would have still resulted in the same verdict although by a 4-3 margin rather than a 6-3 one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Sotomayor is beside herself, declaring that the decision "gives Trump 'all the immunity he asked for and more" and this makes a president a king.

Meanwhile, Chief Justice Roberts explains, OMB asserted far broader immunity than the limited one that the court recognized.

I'll note that the left's attempt to get Alito and Thomas to recuse themselves would have still resulted in the same verdict although by a 4-3 margin rather than a 6-3 one.

Comment

This will test the claim that it's the republicans who don't respect the courts, and that democrats support the judicial process instead of attacking when things don't go their way.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                  This will test the claim that it's the republicans who don't respect the courts, and that democrats support the judicial process instead of attacking when things don't go their way.
                  The continued expression that to disagree with the merits of a court's stated reasoning, even when that reasoning is starkly opposed to precedent and the constitutional order, can be held in equal comparison to attacking judges and prosecutors as inherently corrupt on the flimsiest of pretenses is, again, just lazy contrarianism. It's not only devoid of objective analysis but antagonistic to it.

The question for this issue is "What can a president now do with sweeping presumptive immunity and the explicit ability to hide illegal intent behind a veil of advisors who can't be compelled to testify or produce documents that might refute the president's claim of acting with 'official intent'?' If the answer is "Well, the president can order criminal acts, pardon the people who commit those acts, and then evade prosecution by claiming the acts were official", then it's very much the wrong reasoning and the wrong ruling.

-Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

The continued expression that to disagree with the merits of a court's stated reasoning, even when that reasoning is starkly opposed to precedent and the constitutional order, can be held in equal comparison to attacking judges and prosecutors as inherently corrupt on the flimsiest of pretenses is, again, just lazy contrarianism. It's not only devoid of objective analysis but antagonistic to it.

The question for this issue is "What can a president now do with sweeping presumptive immunity and the explicit ability to hide illegal intent behind a veil of advisors who can't be compelled to testify or produce documents that might refute the president's claim of acting with 'official intent'?' If the answer is "Well, the president can order criminal acts, pardon the people who commit those acts, and then evade prosecution by claiming the acts were official", then it's very much the wrong reasoning and the wrong ruling.

-Sam
                    If we're talking precedent, then there was never been a problem with presidents taking documents with them when they leave office until Trump did it.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

-Sam
                      And you accuse me of sophistry.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                        Democrats have been delegitimizing SCOTUS since McConnell took a play out of Reid's and Biden's playbook and gambled on Scalia's replacement.
                        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Basically, it means that courts have to quibble about what an official act is (undefined in the Constitution) before a former President can be charged for a crime he allegedly committed while in office. Use Seal Team 6 to assassinate your political rivals. Is that an official act? Stage a military coup. Is that an official act? Suspend elections until further notice. Is that an official act?

Biden may have to consider using his newfound powers while the time is ripe. If Trump returns to power, you know that Biden will suddenly suffer from the disease common in Russian politics, Fall-Outa-Window-itis.
                          The relationship between the President and the people he serves has shifted irrevocably. In every use of official power, the President is now a king above the law. -- Justice Sotomayor, dissent in Trump v. United States

Comment

Originally posted by VonTastrophe View Post
                            Basically, it means that courts have to quibble about what an official act is (undefined in the Constitution) before a former President can be charged for a crime he allegedly committed while in office. Use Seal Team 6 to assassinate your political rivals. Is that an official act? Stage a military coup. Is that an official act? Suspend elections until further notice. Is that an official act?

Biden may have to consider using his newfound powers while the time is ripe. If Trump returns to power, you know that Biden will suddenly suffer from the disease common in Russian politics, Fall-Outa-Window-itis.

ded
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

If we're talking precedent, then there was never been a problem with presidents taking documents with them when they leave office until Trump did it.
                              Manages to be both grossly untrue and ignorant of which of Trump's criminal cases we're talking about with this ruling.

-Sam
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment