Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas, Five Other States Considering Secession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    LiMiTeD GoVeRnMeNt
    Limited Government = You must display our religious posters.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

GOP is giving tax cuts to billionaires.
      and the middle class. Heck Trump is promising to not tax tips. Not sure how he could do that though.

Still vague. Getting rid of the EPA isn’t going to help.
      It needs reform though. We need a balanced budget and need to cut out the pork projects to start with.

How has your freedom of religion been curtailed? The Decalogue demands the worship of one specific God.
      Forcing Christians to make gay wedding cakes and rent out venues for gay weddings is an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        Sparko, it's one of the basic principles of politics 101 that conservatives tend to want more government control than liberals.

Consider the basic differences between liberalism and conservatism as they exist currently in the US:
        - Conservatives want more government prohibitions on whether women can have abortions, liberals want fewer such government prohibitions.
        Conservatives (SCOTUS) turned that decision over to state governments and the liberals cried.

- Conservatives want more government prohibitions on who can enter the country, liberals want fewer such government prohibitions.
        Not actually. We want the government to enforce the laws it already has instead of ignoring them or bypassing them. Or let states like Texas take over guarding their own border.
        - Conservatives want more government prohibitions on what substances someone can smoke / take, liberals want fewer such government prohibitions.
        Again, turn it over to the states.
        - Conservatives want more government prohibitions on who can get married to each other (same sex marriage), liberals want fewer such government prohibitions.
        No. We just want it to go back to the way it was. Or at least stop trying to force others to play along with the left's delusions, and making conservatives/christians participate in gay weddings.

- Conservatives want more government prohibitions on what changes people can medically make to their bodies (transgenderism), what bathrooms they can enter, and what sports teams they can compete on, liberals want fewer such government prohibitions.
        etc.
        Nope. We just want them to stop doing it to children. If they are adults they can do what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Limited Government = You must display our religious posters.
          That's a STATE decision. The Federal government has nothing to do with it. Exactly how it should be in limited government.

Comment

GOP is giving tax cuts to billionaires.
            Here we go yet again.

I expect this sort of empty-headed parroting of nonsense from little jimmy, but you really should know better.

In reality, according to the Heritage Foundation:
            • “Tax cuts as a percentage of taxes paid in 2017 were largest for the lowest-income Americans and smallest for the top 1 percent, measured by adjusted gross income (AGI).
            • “Similarly, the percentage decrease in effective tax rates was about 5 percent for the highest-income group, and 16 percent for the half of Americans whose income is below the median.
            • “After the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA), higher-income taxpayers now pay a larger share of all taxes. By this metric, the income tax system was made more progressive. The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid 40 percent of income taxes in 2018, and 38 percent in 2017.”

OTOH, Old Joe's weaponized IRS is focusing on going after waitresses tips and targeting families making less than $400,000/year while funneling our money into Green programs that even the left has admitted is a major boon for the top 1%

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Texas, Five Other States Considering Secession

Interesting that this isn't a "Red State" thing...

In one of the stranger stories we've needed to cover during an already bizarre presidential administration, conditions around the country have apparently deteriorated to the point where six states are currently considering seceding from the union and striking out on their own. Texas is leading the charge, with independence campaigners running advertisements and sending out promotional material encouraging others to get on board. The Texas state GOP included a statement of support for an independence referendum in this year's Legislative Priorities and Platform document. There are similar movements afoot in California, New Hampshire, Alaska, Florida, and Louisiana, so this clearly isn't just a "red state" phenomenon. There is no indication yet as to whether any of these efforts have a realistic chance of succeeding, but the White House should probably pay attention because a lot of people are obviously unhappy with the current state of the union. (Newsweek)
              is another civil war in the offing?
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Not actually. We want the government to enforce the laws it already has instead of ignoring them or bypassing them. Or let states like Texas take over guarding their own border.
                Again, turn it over to the states.
                Excellent point. Conservatives haven't so much called for increased laws and regulation but rather simply enforcing the laws already on the books.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Highly doubtful. More like this serves to yet again illustrate just how dissatisfied the American public is with the direction this country is headed.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Highly doubtful. More like this serves to yet again illustrate just how dissatisfied the American public is with the direction this country is headed.
                    Oh what a pity. I was thinking of using the "popcorn" emoticon for future posts.

One wonders in what direction the good people of those states actually wish to move.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Oh what a pity. I was thinking of using the "popcorn" emoticon for future posts.
                      Yeah because civil wars, typically among some of the most violent and bloody wars, are the sort of thing you want happening.

One wonders in what direction the good people of those states actually wish to move.
                      That is actually one of my gripes with "direction the country is headed" polls. That and they don't indicate who they hold responsible or think can change direction.

Comment

The political pendulum seems to be swinging back towards the conservatives. People are getting sick and tired of the left's wokeness, letting crime run rampant, and their economic disasters.

Comment

I seriously doubt it. Lots of bluster.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Right.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              On that point, it is actually in the Constitution that one of the jobs of the federal government is to defend the states from invasion, which I think hundreds of thousands of people illegally flooding across the border certainly qualifies.

Article IV Section 4: The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion...

https://constitution.congress.gov/co...ion/article-4/
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

On that point, it is actually in the Constitution that one of the jobs of the federal government is to defend the states from invasion, which I think hundreds of thousands of people illegally flooding across the border certainly qualifies.

Article IV Section 4: The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion...

https://constitution.congress.gov/co...ion/article-4/
                                The Feds are failing spectacularly in that mission.

Comment