Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Louisana first state to require Ten Commandments be posted in classrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

There's no pretending required. The Louisiana law stipulates that the following text will accompany the posting of the Ten Commandments:

The History of the Ten Commandments in American Public Education

The Ten Commandments were a prominent part of American public education for almost three centuries. Around the year 1688, The New England Primer became the first published American textbook and was the equivalent of a first grade reader. The New England Primer was used in public schools throughout the United States for more than one hundred fifty years to teach Americans to read and contained more than forty questions about the Ten Commandments. The Ten Commandments were also included in public school textbooks published by educator William McGuffey, a noted university president and professor. A version of his famous McGuffey Readers was written in the early 1800s and became one of the most popular textbooks in the history of American education, selling more than one hundred million copies. Copies of the McGuffey Readers are still available today.

The Ten Commandments also appeared in textbooks published by Noah Webster in which were widely used in American public schools along with America’s first comprehensive dictionary that Webster also published. His textbook, The American Spelling Book, contained the Ten Commandments and sold more than one hundred million copies for use by public school children all across the nation and was still available for use in American public schools in the year 1975.
    Stop with these inconvenient facts...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Of course, all that was back when students were actually learning reading, 'riting, and 'rithmatic, and educators were actually interested in successfully teaching those subjects.
      Phonics also had to go, because it was too successful.
      But, hey, we brought along the lifechanging "Sally, Dick and Jane" series which .... um.... wow.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        So why not read the entire sentence, instead of just ripping the establishment clause out of context?
        No idea. Perhaps because only the establishment clause was relative to the point being made.

My point is that it wasn't a quote mine, and calling it one is an unwarranted accusation of dishonesty.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

I think one of the reasons liberals are so upset with the historical context is because they don't have an argument against it. For whatever reason, they seem to think that the Ten Commandments also having religious significance should somehow nullify their importance to US history.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It is rather interesting how quickly and effectively the left managed to snatch the "establishment clause" out of the context of the First Amendment and apply it to pretty much any form of local government, public school, etc.
            Quickly and effectively????

It took from 1868, when the 14th amendment was passed, until 1962 when Engel v. Vitale was decided, to apply the establishment clause to school prayer.

94 years.

Maybe that is quick in Texas.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• The Louisiana state government are now being sued.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                The Louisiana state government are now being sued.
                Yes, that was stated in the opening post of this thread.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Yes, that was stated in the opening post of this thread.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post

Or maybe Numbers 31:17,18

17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Because instructions for one specific situation are no different than universal instructions for all situations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Quickly and effectively????

It took from 1868, when the 14th amendment was passed, until 1962 when Engel v. Vitale was decided, to apply the establishment clause to school prayer.

94 years.

Maybe that is quick in Texas.
                      The Separation of Church and State in the United States

The Supreme Court first employed the term “separation of church and state” in 1879 as shorthand for the meaning of the First Amendment’s religion clauses, stating “it may be accepted almost as an authoritative declaration of the scope and effect of the amendment.”

and...

In the modern Court’s first Establishment Clause holding, Everson v. Board of Education (1947), Justice Hugo Black wrote:
                      The “establishment of religion” clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another […] No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion […] In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect “a wall of separation between Church and State.”5

It has been about keeping the State from establishing a Church --- dating all the way back to the exchange of letters between Thomas Jefferson and the Danbury Baptist Association.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No idea. Perhaps because only the establishment clause was relative to the point being made.

My point is that it wasn't a quote mine, and calling it one is an unwarranted accusation of dishonesty.
                        I think it's a perfect example of a quote mine.......
                        It's using one part in an attempt to say a particular thing that the second part proves false.

Congress can not (legally) prohibit the free exercise of religion.

Comment

I think it's a perfect example of a quote mine.......
                          It's using one part in an attempt to say a particular thing that the second part proves false.

Congress can not (legally) prohibit the free exercise of religion.
                          Who, exactly is exercising their religion by mandating the 10c be hung in classrooms?

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                            I don't know how familiar you are with the US constitution, but it doesn't speak on the subject of drag queens, whereas it does on the subject of government and religion.

Feel free to champion a constitutional amendment about drag queens if you think the two topics are similar.
                            If the Constitution is interpreted as prohibiting any Agent of The State from displaying or teaching anything that would favor a particular Religion, it should also be interpreted as prohibiting displaying or teaching anything objectionable to a particular Religion.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Who, exactly is exercising their religion by mandating the 10c be hung in classrooms?
                              I was addressing the misinformation about the First Amendment. On Saturday, I had already addressed your other concern.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think you are totally missing the point, so let me type slowly and use smaller words....

In this day and age (and political and religious climate) it concerns me that government would force a particular religion on schools PRECISELY because it may end up being like the State of Iowa that also includes things we don't want.

Hence, the "you may get what you want (posters of the Ten Commandments) but you many not want what you get (statures of Satanic crap)".

I may be at odds with my Christian associates on this, but this particular effort by Louisiana causes me concern.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

If the Constitution is interpreted as prohibiting any Agent of The State from displaying or teaching anything that would favor a particular Religion, it should also be interpreted as prohibiting displaying or teaching anything objectionable to a particular Religion.
                                The flip side to freedom from religion.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment