Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

My Granddaughter Bought a Tesla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Granddaughter Bought a Tesla

I had ridden in one in Seattle when my wife and I Ubered from the Airport.
    It was very spacious in the back seat, and the view through the skylight was impressive.
    I was also quite impressed with the large display where our Uber driver was keeping an eye on routing.

She (my granddaughter) lives 80 miles from us, and was pretty concerned about the round trip, and asked if I, by chance, had 240 volts in my garage.

Hers is a self-driving Tesla (are they all?), though, from what I understand, that's a prescription service that costs about $100/month, free for the first couple of months.

She doesn't plan on renewing the self-driving function, partly because - in her words - it goes the speed limit and everybody is passing her or trying to get around her when in self-driving mode.

Still processing this.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I think electric vehicles are probably fine for errands around town -- basically, any short round trip that lets you start and end at home where you can leave it plugged in for a few hours to recharge -- but I would never want to take one on a trip that exceeds 100 miles.

Of course the increased strain on our inadequate power grid as more people start plugging in their electric cars is its own problem.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I had ridden in one in Seattle when my wife and I Ubered from the Airport.
      It was very spacious in the back seat, and the view through the skylight was impressive.
      I was also quite impressed with the large display where our Uber driver was keeping an eye on routing.

She (my granddaughter) lives 80 miles from us, and was pretty concerned about the round trip, and asked if I, by chance, had 240 volts in my garage.

Hers is a self-driving Tesla (are they all?), though, from what I understand, that's a prescription service that costs about $100/month, free for the first couple of months.

She doesn't plan on renewing the self-driving function, partly because - in her words - it goes the speed limit and everybody is passing her or trying to get around her when in self-driving mode.

Still processing this.
      For a brief moment I thought that your grand-daughter referred to your avatar!
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

For a brief moment I thought that your grand-daughter referred to your avatar!
        Laughing -- now THAT would be news! The avatar is (currently) my youngest granddaughter who has a brother just 37 minutes older than herself.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I think electric vehicles are probably fine for errands around town -- basically, any short round trip that lets you start and end at home where you can leave it plugged in for a few hours to recharge -- but I would never want to take one on a trip that exceeds 100 miles.
          Yeah, she lives about 12 miles from where she works, so it's fine for that.

Of course the increased strain on our inadequate power grid as more people start plugging in their electric cars is its own problem.
          That's a major factor, IMOHBAO.

Comment

Short trips, urban environment, are what EVs do well. For those who do a lot of driving and in more spacious environments, not so much.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Short trips, urban environment, are what EVs do well. For those who do a lot of driving and in more spacious environments, not so much.
              Yup - which is why it surprised me that she bought a Tesla IN TEXAS!

Comment

Yup - which is why it surprised me that she bought a Tesla IN TEXAS!
                She'll just need to plan any long distance trips carefully to make sure she has access to charging stations along the way, and plan for the extra time it will take to top up her Tesla -- with additional wait time factored in just in case someone is already using the charger when she arrives. Conventional wisdom says to expect a trip in an electric vehicle to take roughly twice as long to cover the same distance as a gas vehicle.

Comment

She'll just need to plan any long distance trips carefully to make sure she has access to charging stations along the way, and plan for the extra time it will take to top up her Tesla -- with additional wait time factored in just in case someone is already using the charger when she arrives. Conventional wisdom says to expect a trip in an electric vehicle to take roughly twice as long to cover the same distance as a gas vehicle.
                  And the left wants to mandate electric tractor trailers. I've seen estimates that a three day trip for one today will take five days and likely more as there will long waits at recharging stations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm with Sparko on this one. Not Tesla, because they're overpriced, and not yet, because they're still in the early adopter phase.

That said, for the time being, I'm seeing stories saying used EVs are holding their value, and with the price drops at Tesla, I'm giving this a hesitant nod, but only because "granddaughters" aren't looking for cars to hold onto for a decade like us old fogies.

The "self-driving" package still isn't worth it, though, not least because it's just not — "self-driving" that is. I'm thinking it may never be. With Musk's attention split seven ways from Sunday, the established automakers are catching up fast and likely to pass him by soon enough.

That's "soon enough" in "old fogie" years, not "granddaughter" years.

And then there's this*.

I'm seeing "Tesla" and "meme stock" showing up together way too often in the financial pages.
                    In fact, while Musk has frequently over-promised, he over-delivered on those fronts, helping Tesla’s market cap and Musk’s personal wealth soar since the 2010s, DeLong said.

But more recently, he has shifted his focus from EVs, charger networks, and batteries to social media, artificial intelligence, and robotaxis.

Even as Musk vowed last month to accelerate plans to launch a new, lower-cost EV model that Wall Streets views as critical to its future, he also reaffirmed his robotaxi ambitions to develop a fleet of autonomous cars.

Meanwhile, Tesla’s surprise firing of its entire Supercharger team raised worries about the key network as well as the industry’s future. This also comes amid slower EV demand, weaker sales, broader workforce cuts, a steep stock decline, and an exodus of senior leadership.

“Yet while the over-promising has continued, the over-delivering has not,” DeLong wrote. “The fundraiser, cheerleader, and coach for teams developing real technologies has become a meme-stock carnival barker.”

He's beaten the naysayers — and that includes me — often enough to be hesitant in saying he won't do it again, but there's no hiding the fact Tesla's stock price has crumpled. Tesla has a captured board, so there's no real way of knowing if they're on the ropes.

*I'm going to try shifting to internet archive links to paywalled articles in deference to those who can't afford the subscriptions

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                      I'm with Sparko on this one. Not Tesla, because they're overpriced, and not yet, because they're still in the early adopter phase.

That said, for the time being, I'm seeing stories saying used EVs are holding their value, and with the price drops at Tesla, I'm giving this a hesitant nod, but only because "granddaughters" aren't looking for cars to hold onto for a decade like us old fogies.

The "self-driving" package still isn't worth it, though, not least because it's just not — "self-driving" that is. I'm thinking it may never be. With Musk's attention split seven ways from Sunday, the established automakers are catching up fast and likely to pass him by soon enough.

That's "soon enough" in "old fogie" years, not "granddaughter" years.

And then there's this*.

I'm seeing "Tesla" and "meme stock" showing up together way too often in the financial pages.
                      In fact, while Musk has frequently over-promised, he over-delivered on those fronts, helping Tesla’s market cap and Musk’s personal wealth soar since the 2010s, DeLong said.

But more recently, he has shifted his focus from EVs, charger networks, and batteries to social media, artificial intelligence, and robotaxis.

Even as Musk vowed last month to accelerate plans to launch a new, lower-cost EV model that Wall Streets views as critical to its future, he also reaffirmed his robotaxi ambitions to develop a fleet of autonomous cars.

Meanwhile, Tesla’s surprise firing of its entire Supercharger team raised worries about the key network as well as the industry’s future. This also comes amid slower EV demand, weaker sales, broader workforce cuts, a steep stock decline, and an exodus of senior leadership.

“Yet while the over-promising has continued, the over-delivering has not,” DeLong wrote. “The fundraiser, cheerleader, and coach for teams developing real technologies has become a meme-stock carnival barker.”

He's beaten the naysayers — and that includes me — often enough to be hesitant in saying he won't do it again, but there's no hiding the fact Tesla's stock price has crumpled. Tesla has a captured board, so there's no real way of knowing if they're on the ropes.

*I'm going to try shifting to internet archive links to paywalled articles in deference to those who can't afford the subscriptions
                      Thanks, Jesse - that's interesting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                        ...because "granddaughters" aren't looking for cars to hold onto for a decade like us old fogies.
                        A decade at the very least! My Toyota Echo is 24 years old, and I'll keep driving it for as long as my local mechanic can keep sourcing repair parts.

Comment

A decade at the very least! My Toyota Echo is 24 years old, and I'll keep driving it for as long as my local mechanic can keep sourcing repair parts.
                          How many miles?

Comment

Gah! everything is going "subscription"

Comment

How many miles?
                              It's approaching 300,000.

Comment