Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sotomayer Doesn't Understand Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

To be fair, the counter point that's being used (like you just did) it's very convincing. In fact, I think it supports the case against bump stocks.

You guys have all found the same video/same guy who is a very fast shot. But, the fact is he's known because he's UNUSUALLY FAST. A bump stock takes his highly trained skill, and makes it available to anyone who wants it. Many people see that last part as a problem.
    And the case being made by the left is mass shootings. Rapid fire is not necessary, as most mass shooters aren't interested in just "spraying bullets", but maximum kill rate. You can do that with a semi-auto handgun and a backpack full of magazines.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It seems so common with liberals to project anger or "outrage" on their opponents.
      I think it's because liberals are so much more about emotion than fact or logic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And the case being made by the left is mass shootings. Rapid fire is not necessary, as most mass shooters aren't interested in just "spraying bullets", but maximum kill rate. You can do that with a semi-auto handgun and a backpack full of magazines.
        I get that, but the "This one guy is very fast, therefore your point is laughable" is not a good argument.

Comment

Or carrying multiple firearms that simply can be discarded after they're empty so you don't need to stop and reload.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post
            So you don't understand 'very fast firing'?
            Regardless of the actions used, VFF makes perfect sense.

I might remind you of this your quote when the next outrage occurs..... a truly horrific mindset, I think.

Oh please! Do wake up!
            Your comprehension skills are dwindling, it seems.
            I have told you that a bump-stock can produce a VFF....a very fast firing gun. The fact that machine guns are VFFs is true as well, of course.
            But so is any other gun if the shooter pulls the trigger fast enough. That's all bump stocks do: make your finger press the trigger very fast. It is still your finger pressing the trigger, once for each shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

But so is any other gun if the shooter pulls the trigger fast enough. That's all bump stocks do: make your finger press the trigger very fast. It is still your finger pressing the trigger, once for each shot.
              And a mass shooter doesn't want to simply "fire bullets the fastest", but hit as many human targets as he can.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

To be fair, the counter point that's being used (like you just did) it's very convincing. In fact, I think it supports the case against bump stocks.

You guys have all found the same video/same guy who is a very fast shot. But, the fact is he's known because he's UNUSUALLY FAST. A bump stock takes his highly trained skill, and makes it available to anyone who wants it. Many people see that last part as a problem.
                There are a lot of fast shooters. This guy just pops to the top of youtube search engine for fast shooter. His claim to fame is fast AND accurate. I can shoot fast too, but I wouldn't even hit the target. And people say the same thing about bump stocks. Basically you are trying to hold your trigger finger still while the gun moves back and forth very quickly causing the trigger to be pulled. It makes it pretty hard to be accurate. Also did you see the video of that same guy trying to use a bump stock? It didn't go very well.

Comment

If the bump stock had an internal spring, I would likely concede to Sotomayor's point, but to quote Thomas:

“Too much forward pressure and the rifle will not slide back far enough to release and reset the trigger, preventing the rifle from firing another shot. Too little pressure and the trigger will not bump the shooter’s trigger finger with sufficient force to fire another shot,” Thomas wrote. “Without this ongoing manual input, a semiautomatic rifle with a bump stock will not fire multiple shots. Thus, firing multiple shots requires engaging the trigger one time — and then some.”

Continuous manual input requires skill and does not make a semiautomatic gun into a MACHINEgun. It was almost 10 years before there was any mass shooting with one. Hilariously though, it was a black gun shop owner that took down the ban, but I guess the Left would consider him a black white supremacist.

Originally posted by eider View Post
                  So you don't understand 'very fast firing'?
                  Regardless of the actions used, VFF makes perfect sense.
                  With enough skill, anything can be "very fast firing" as demonstrated by the videos. It's just scare words.

I might remind you of this your quote when the next outrage occurs..... a truly horrific mindset, I think.
                  How is remaining logical a "truly horrific mindset"?

Oh please! Do wake up!
                  Your comprehension skills are dwindling, it seems.
                  I have told you that a bump-stock can produce a VFF....a very fast firing gun. The fact that machine guns are VFFs is true as well, of course.
                  Again, VFF are just scare words.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                    .....Again, VFF are just scare words.
                    Like the "Assault Weapons Ban" --- more about scary looking guns than it was actual Assault Weapons.

Comment

If the bump stock had an internal spring, I would likely concede to Sotomayor's point, but to quote Thomas:

“Too much forward pressure and the rifle will not slide back far enough to release and reset the trigger, preventing the rifle from firing another shot. Too little pressure and the trigger will not bump the shooter’s trigger finger with sufficient force to fire another shot,” Thomas wrote. “Without this ongoing manual input, a semiautomatic rifle with a bump stock will not fire multiple shots. Thus, firing multiple shots requires engaging the trigger one time — and then some.”

Continuous manual input requires skill and does not make a semiautomatic gun into a MACHINEgun. It was almost 10 years before there was any mass shooting with one. Hilariously though, it was a black gun shop owner that took down the ban, but I guess the Left would consider him a black white supremacist.
                      You misunderstand me. I completely agree with SCOTUS's ruling. It falls short of the explicit definition of machine gun in the law.

I'm pointing out that the argument being made about "One guy is really fast, therefore point invalid" is not a good argument.

Comment

You misunderstand me. I completely agree with SCOTUS's ruling. It falls short of the explicit definition of machine gun in the law.

I'm pointing out that the argument being made about "One guy is really fast, therefore point invalid" is not a good argument.
                        If it were just one guy... but they hold regular competitions in this. Local, regional and apparently national. That suggests a significant pool of potential participants to choose from.

Comment

With enough skill, anything can be "very fast firing" as demonstrated by the videos. It's just scare words.

How is remaining logical a "truly horrific mindset"?

Again, VFF are just scare words.
                          VFF appears to be eider's own invention too. I have never seen that acronym used anywhere.

Comment

VFF appears to be eider's own invention too. I have never seen that acronym used anywhere.
                            Never heard of it, and I'm one of them thar gun nuts.

I keep trying to read that as IFF --- Identify Friend or Foe.

Comment

Never heard of it, and I'm one of them thar gun nuts.

I keep trying to read that as IFF --- Identify Friend or Foe.
                              Yeah he invented a gun category nobody heard of then railed against it.

Comment

Sorta just figured it was British, but a quick check finds no hits for it in any way at all related to eider's use.

Comment